How to cook ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay243 View Post
    Where is the best place to buy pork ribs? Meat market, walmart? I've used the hormel brand several times but would like a Better quality meat?
    I buy when they drop to .99 cents/1.59 a lb. IMO, it doesn't matter the brand because the magic is in your pit.

I do trim them up to make them look "higher quality" but I'm an ad watcher and a bulk buyer for ribs, pork butts and brisket when I find a good sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
      We typically use mustard as a conduit for the rub.

It cooks out during the smoke process.

[ATTACH]607202[/ATTACH]
      Looks like a lot of pigs died in the making of that picture.

I've used Mustard before on different BBQ applications. Never pork ribs before.

Comment

Or just make pig sickles.

If you haven't tried them, you should. You may never smoke another rack, if you like sauce on your ribs.

I'm going to try this with Franks thick Red Hot, for buffalo ribs.

Comment

How to cook ribs

Ribs really are very simple. 1.5 hours at around 275 flipping every 20 minutes or so. Finish out a half hour in foil at the same temp. After taking out of foul i usually throw back on for a minute or two just to grt the excess juice to dry up a bit. Dry rub is all you need unless you like bbq sauce on them. Onion powder garlic powder and a seasoning salt of your choice. Take it easy on the powders, and the seasoning salt to taste. Biggest thing is let them get to room temp before cooking. You can season up and let sit for awhile so the flavor works throughout to.

Comment

TC uses the exact same method my buddy does when we do cookoffs, not sure about the recipe though. My buddy's ribs are the best I've ever eaten, literally, if you put one on top of your head, your tongue would beat your brains out trying to get to it. The method is pretty cut and dry, dry rub them with some oil or mustard to hold the rub on, lay them on the grill, meat side up and smoke until the meat JUST starts pulling away from the bone at the ends, then pull and wrap them. When we wrap them, we lay the foil out and lay out a combination of brown sugar, honey, parkay squeeze butter, minced onion, garlic powder and a touch of cayene pepper, then lay the meat on top of that concoction meat side down, and seal up. Back on the pit, still meat side down for a few hours, careful not to get too hot or you're burn the sugars and that ain't good. After a couple-three hours, we'll pull them off again, unwrap them and put them back on the pit, meat up, and glaze with a sweet and spicy sauce and smoke for another 20-30 minutes. Once the sauce is baked on, we pull them off, rest them for a short time and cut 'em up. They are DANG good.

That being said, I know the method and recipe, but I can't do them as good as my buddy can, I always manage to screw something up. Good luck.

Comment

Nice touch with the mustard as a pre-rub prep. I'll need to try that.

Forgot to mention that I use the Williams Food Co. "Rib Tickler". It's sweet and spicy and low in salt. If you can get it in the Ennis area, I'd give it a try. For beginner or pro, you can't go wrong with the "Rib Tickler" rub.

Comment

Explain to me when you peel the membrane off - before or after you cook them?

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                  Before you season...it is part of the prep.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ofS8ZpiQo"]Removing Rib Membrane - YouTube[/ame]
                  Last edited by Smart; 03-18-2014, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                    Before you cook them. Here is a pretty good "How To" I found, it should help.

Removing the paper-thin membrane from the bone side of ribs prior to smoking ensures that the ribs come out as tender as possible without guests having to gnaw through the membrane's tough texture. This how-to guide features step by step photos for trimming a slab of ribs and removing the membrane.

TC

Comment

Since I am going to this party, I shall report on his cooking skills with the ribs and all of your great recommendations...

Comment

Pull membranes

Mix black pepper, oregano, paprika, celery salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder & onion powder - rub ribs both sides

Place on Traeger grill, meat side up, on smoke at 190 degrees for 5 hours

Take foil, pour in a shot of Shiner beer and rub both sides of ribs with BBQ sauce - wrap ribs in foil and return to grill

Kick the Traeger grill up to 325 for 45 minutes and pull, let sit for 5 - 10 minutes cut and serve

Comment

McCormicks Sweet and Smokey rub, get it at Wally world, is also a great rub. You can add as much heat as you want to it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Peel membrane off before you cook them.

Comment

Slice,roll in corn,meal and fry!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                Slice,roll in corn,meal and fry!

Roll ours in flour, but also a great option!

Comment

Working...
                                X