Fall plots debacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall plots debacle

So we're thinking fall plots already on our place in Oklahoma ( just outside Coalgate). last year we did 2 oats plots with some Turnips mixed in. we had good success with growth and bringing in the deer and keeping them around. this year we are planning to do the same thing but this little voice in my head is telling me to plant clover instead. can any of ya'll share your thoughts or experiences with clover instead of oats/turnips?? we have two 1.5 acre plots with a corn feeder in the plot as well.

Do the oats/turnips and the clover at the same time. The clover won't really grow well during the winter, but it will do great in the late winter/early spring. It will be a good food source for them coming out of the winter

Comment

Clover is best the 2nd year once it establishes a root system. You could mix in some clover with the oats and turnips. It will help your soil out too with nitrogen and should come back up in the spring. Caveat to my advice is I only have food plotting experience in Wisconsin farm country. Deer have a lot to eat and conditions are pretty good for planting. Not sure how Clover would do in Oklahoma.

Comment

Did the deer typically hit the plot or corn more often?

I'm thinking of doing the same.. Having a small 1/2 - 1 acre plot with my feeder. I already have a good herd deer coming in to corn so I want to leave the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the combo worked great for us last year. the deer would come in early and graze on the oats and turnips then hit the feeder when it went off and back to grazing til dark.

Comment

Working...
          X