Deer Ecology 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
    ^ In areas with high quality and even a high amount of "regular" browse under good range conditions, deer don't tend to rely nearly as much on supplemental feed, because they don't have to. Even when they do use protein feeders, it doesn't make up a huge portion of their daily intake in most cases. Same goes for mineral supplements. Deer will only use "free" mineral if they need it, not because they want it or because it tastes good. Their body dictates when they need more mineral in their diet.
    Yessir, on that same lease they would use a mineral site...that sounds kinda odd, but that's what they would do. The deer would trample all in it and eat the dirt. My Newton lease, things gotta be bad for the deer to use a mineral site.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
      I have been hearing about this on the GS for a little while. Three weeks ago I came up on a scrape and peed in it, as my wife laughed at me and told me that cant be a good idea. I explained why I think it might work. Last week I go up there to to put some corn out and guess what that scrape was bigger and the licking branch was even more beat up. Then about 20 feet away was another scrape. So I peed in the same scrape I did last time. Then hunted that Sunday and the scrape was even larger, so I peed in both of them and put a camera on them. Can't wait for Friday to see what the scrapes looks like and what the camera got pictures of. My question is why the scrapes so late in the season?... they were not there in November.

You should start a thread on this!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depending on your area of the state, sex ratio of your herd and habitat, the breeding season will vary greatly. You will also see what a lot of people call the "second rut" which is and it isn't. Does will cycle every 21 days if not bred the first time they come into estrous. If not bred, 21 days later they will cycle again and you can see some rutting activity. You will also see a late rut in January as this years fawns that are born early enough will cycle then and can be bred.

Comment

Depending on your area of the state, sex ratio of your herd and habitat, the breeding season will vary greatly. You will also see what a lot of people call the "second rut" which is and it isn't. Does will cycle every 21 days if not bred the first time they come into estrous. If not bred, 21 days later they will cycle again and you can see some rutting activity. You will also see a late rut in January as this years fawns that are born early enough will cycle then and can be bred.
          Everything I have ever read, heard or seen published has said they will cycle every 28 days. This is the first I have ever heard of a 21 day cycle. Can you explain the discrepancy? Please don't take me for saying that you're wrong, Im truly just trying to learn.

Comment

It is not a hard number. Every deer/area is a little different. In my experience with pen raised deer, it's about every 21 days....

Comment

Awesome thread! If you feed protein in a area that has some good pressure do you think it's a waste or will you still get some positive out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by tony185 View Post
                Awesome thread! If you feed protein in a area that has some good pressure do you think it's a waste or will you still get some positive out of it?
                If it's small propery and neighbors shoot anything with antlers then it's a waste of time. Since deer peak in antler growth at 6-7 yrs, then you wont realize your return for investment if no bucks make it past 2-3 yrs.

Comment

Ok, all caught up, now on to more info....

Since there seems to be a good interest in deer foods, lets continue on there. Deer are selective feeders, meaning that they eat a huge variety of things. They don't just sit in one area eating the same thing every day like a cow does grass in a field. Typically you will see deer feeding along and almost always moving while doing so. They get a little bite here, and one there. That is why most people like to use seed varieties in food plots for greater utilization. Simply put, deer like to eat a lot of different things. A lot of it is based on what is available in a given area and time of year.

Deer are also curious animals when it comes to food items. That's why a lot of the fly-by-night feed attractants seem to work. Deer see/smell something different, they take a look and see what's up. Most of the ones in my experience that are used repeatedly are the sweet style attractants. Everybody like something sweet now and then. I always laugh at the marketing on these items when they are telling of the scents and smells that deer go crazy for. Do you really think a deer in central Texas has any idea what an apple is? Or an orange? Nope, just something they smell is sweet and not a threat to them....
                  I threw out a bag of apples that I had cut in half last year, just to see if the deer would show any interest in them. All the deer did was sniff them and kept on going. I figured it was something they had never seen, eaten or smelled before so they weren't sure what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    You should start a thread on this!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    OK I know it's kinda late to start one but when I pull the card and see what's on it I'll start one.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter View Post
                      I threw out a bag of apples that I had cut in half last year, just to see if the deer would show any interest in them. All the deer did was sniff them and kept on going. I figured it was something they had never seen, eaten or smelled before so they weren't sure what they were.
                      I did the same thing with some watermelons several years back. Cut them up, threw them out in front of a cam and left. Came back the next day and the watermelon was all gone. I figured hogs or coons had gotten them. This was back when trail cams were 35mm so I had to wait a while to get the pics. Got the pics back and to my surprise it was the deer that had cleaned them up. I still use watermelon to this day. I don't even cut them up anymore. Just throw them out. The deer will stomp or "paw" at them to break them open.

Comment

You've just gotta figure out what the deer in your area like. Rice Bran is like crack to my deer in Oklahoma, whereas the deer on my lease in East Texas won't touch it.

Comment

Many feed cottonseed and protein - what about mineral supplements? I know protein has some but is there value in also feeding additional minerals during the year? I have heard it can have a big impact on horn growth

Comment

Great info in thread
                            I'm following

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                              Many feed cottonseed and protein - what about mineral supplements? I know protein has some but is there value in also feeding additional minerals during the year? I have heard it can have a big impact on horn growth
                              I was writing a lengthy explanation, but thought the Quality Deer Mgt guys probably already had one on their website. And they did.

I will add to that by saying that sodium requirements for deer are easily met in in most parts of Texas, typically just through the water they drink. Read the info at the link above, and my statement about sodium will make sense.

Comment

After seeing all the posts about cull bucks, I wanted to make a general recommendation on buck harvest.

In a free range situation, the best approach in buck harvest, to maximize quality antlers, is to only shoot bucks that are 6.5 years old or older, regardless of what's on their head.

Not confident in field judging age? Check the poster at the link below, and let bucks walk until they match the "Post Mature" criteria on this poster.

Comment

Working...
                                X