Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your best trick to remove the gamey taste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk.
    I always soak in milk and sometimes overnight and change the milk out. Never had anyone comment about gameyness.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
      X2

I also leave them in a ice chest like stins recommended.
      I do too. Sending a deer to a processor is just BEGGING for bad end product and just plain lazy in my opinion. Cutting it up yourself is just part of the hunting process. Venison fat does not render like beef fat and gives the meat a rancid or gamey taste. You have to separate the muscles and can't just cut it into conventional "cuts" like beef and get the best result.

Comment

I too leave it in the cooler on ice, I also don't like hanging my deer in a walk in cooler. It drys the meat out. Clean it and get it on ice as soon as possible.

Comment

Kinda depends...milk/buttermilk if I shoot a doe/cow that is "gamey", but for an old buck/bull, I soak it in white vinegar overnight. That cures the "gamey" taste and softens him up too.

Comment

if you are doing it yourself make sure you let it age in the cooler on ice or walk in cooler for about 4 or 5 days. Also, once you get some steaks cut up dont be afraid of some marinade for two days and then season it grill it and should be delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
              First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!
              That's what we do and it takes care of it!

Comment

Gamefix

Comment

I always looked at gamey venison as pretty much spoiled. You have to gut and jerk the hide as soon as possible. Removing the hide gets the heat out quicker.

Comment

First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!
                    x2

And wash really good before freezing!

Comment

What gamey taste? I do the cooler thing and have for decades. I've never had a deer taste "gamey". I also throw my bucks and does in the freezer together. Not marked. I defy anyone to tell me which theyre eating. I guess if you know it's a doe you can swear it's better, but I think it's a mental thing. Take care of the meat and it all eats. I usually have at least one ol geezer in the freezer every year and they are some fine eating.

If you're grilling it, the main thing you can do to ruin it is to overcook it. Like dove, if you overcook them, they taste like liver. If you overcook venison, the quality goes way down. When I gill venison, I usually wrap it in bacon for moisture and cook it medium rare, absolutely no more than medium.

Comment

Process it yourself, it's not rocket science. As said earlier, seperate the muscles, cut steaks across grain, clean all the white membrane off of meat. I make my own link sausage and summer sausage.

Comment

Like others said, leave it in the ice chest for a few days adding more ice and draining frequently. If you have access to a walk in freezer, make sure to quarter and hang for at least a week to 10 days before you process it.

Comment

[quote=bsills;931426]
                            Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                            I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.

I have always used regular milk but it really helps draw the blood out of the meat. Works great on dove breast also.
                            x2

Comment

X2

Comment

Originally posted by Bucks&Broadheads View Post
                                Like others said, leave it in the ice chest for a few days adding more ice and draining frequently. If you have access to a walk in freezer, make sure to quarter and hang for at least a week to 10 days before you process it.
                                x2

Comment

Working...
                                X