Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread!

About 20 years ago, two years before I got on my lease and before hogs took over the place, a guy I know was hunting a stand on a highline right of way on the far north end of the lease. The people we lease from have a son that was probably 12 years old at the time and would skin and quarter your deer for you for $20 to earn some money.
    Anyway, the guy had a huge, pink hog come out when he was hunting. Easily 250# plus, so he shot it. He drove back to our camp that was right across the dirt road where the boy lived and asked him to come help him load the hog he had killed to bring it back for him to clean.
    They get to the hog and the boy says, "that's granny's hog."
    His granny lived over a mile away and her hog she was raising and fattening up had gotten out a few days before. No one was mad because they said she should have had a better pen.
    He said grain fed "wild" hog meat was delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
      My favorite part about it was that once someone shoots a cow it becomes a prized cow and costs soo much money!! They aren't worth that much if you don't shoot them!!

And idk how you can do that either!

The rancher can charge you what is current market for the bull and the money that could of been made off the bulls services for 2-3 years.
      He can charge the same current price for the cow and for the calves she would have had for 2-3 years.

This is why they cost so much when things like this happen from what ive been told by ranchers

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
        I know of an oilfield customer ranch that has a Wall of shame in the main lodge. Make the wall and you never get invited back, but everyone else gets to see your screw ups
        Great idea!

Comment

The first year we had red deer on the ranch the owner put them off limits. I had a corporate group here and one of those guys shot "2 really big whitetail does". Turned out to be 2 of those $2000 penalty, red deer they weren't supposed to shoot.
          What I still haven't figured out is how you mistake a 300lb+ red deer cow for a whitetail doe?

Comment

I made a big mistake on one of my first hunts by myself. I guess I was 11 or 12 at the time. We were hunting on a ranch that had a pet doe with a big bell on her neck. During the rut, she was known to drag nice bucks past the hunters.

One evening, I heard the bell getting closer and saw a nice buck chasing a doe towards me. I immediately assumed the doe was the bell deer and prepared for the shot. The buck had his head down and was hot on her trail. He was coming at me and stopped for a second to sniff a spot on the ground. I made a beautiful shot through the top of the neck and dropped him in his tracks.

I was so excited, I could not wait for dad and ran down to claim my prize. As I got closer I started thinking, what is that??? My buck had a nice big bell around his neck and had been chasing a doe without one. Unfortunately, the collar was leather and blended in nicely with his hide. An extreme early lesson in the dangers of assumption. I quickly took off the bell and put it under some rocks. About that time dad arrived and was glowing with pride. I took one look at him, started crying and told him the whole story. Elation to dejection times two.

Weeks later we heard that the neighboring ranch had twin 8 points that had bells on like our doe. Lessons learned.
            Last edited by Cull; 11-14-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleCharlie View Post
              Post up your hunting guest mistake stories if you have them. Another member of this forum had a guest this weekend on whitetail doe patrol but had green light on an axis or blackbuck. No white tail bucks!!

Dude ended up shooting a whitetail with double drops pushing 170.

My most memorable was being invited to a supplier's lease for a hunt along with about 8 others. The rules were that the buck needed to be mature and typical. This was a corporate lease in Leakey area and the land owner didn't want anything with non-typical traits shot. They also were allowed a few axis bucks and these were drawn for between hunts.

First morning I had a middle aged buck main frame 10 walk out in front of me. It was a nice deer but also had triple brows on one side and double on the other along with some small bumps for double drops on either side. In other words the opposite of the 'clean' animal they were looking for.

Deer went down the hill and about 30 minutes later I heard the shot. Guy who shot it changed his story 5 times during the rest of the day and finally settled on "I knew he was big but his head was in a tree and I couldn't really tell what he was."

I figured not identifying the animal before shooting was probably the worst excuse you come up with and the owner of the ranch agreed. She took the horns from him and charged the vendor we were with 7500.00 and was threatening to kick them off the place. Greatest part of the story is the guy who shot the buck and got them in trouble made sure he hung around even after he pretty much got them kicked off the place to see if he would get drawn to hunt an axis.
              Can't fix stupid can ya....

Comment

Great thread!! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

In 2002 I was invited to hunt a friends Company lease in Coleman Texas. Now, I grew up with this guy and his brother and I were best friends, so all was good. However, his business partner was only an aquaintence. Well, when we got there the business partner explained the rules to us. Doe or 8 point or better, no exceptions. I was cool with that. There was a log book kept so we could see that some good deer had been taken. I was excited to say the least. The next morning it was 18* outside and the wind was howling. I got put in a box blind overlooking a pond and a cut hay field bordered by thick mesquite and scrub oak. 30 minutes after light a big bodied deer jumped the fence 50-60 yards away. I looked at him through the scope and judged him mature. Of course, he only had 7 points. I watched him for the longest time trying to make a tine grow to no avail. Anyway, when I got back I had to write in the book what I saw. That evening I got to sit in a different spot and saw only a 4 point and a basket racked 6 point. I heard a shot from the pond about thirty minutes before dark. When I got back to the house the partner was cleaning the 7 pointer that I passed up. I asked him what about the rules. He told me that the deer was older and needed to go. I was pizzed. Upon further aging the deer was 7.5 years old, of course I knew he was old and even told him about the deer. Sad thing is that I asked to go back to that spot and he put me in a "better" location. Still chaps me to this day. He did my buddy wrong in the business deal too and they are no longer together. I looked in the book when I left and for two years he was the only one to shoot a buck and he had killed five of them.

Comment

Keep em coming! I love oops stories!

Comment

I have a story of me making toe right decision...
                      A buddy of mine invited me to his lease a few years ago, to take a doe or hog. The first morning they put me in a stand and told me that they had gotten pics of a buck with a drop tine. Well, wouldn't you know it, he came in and spent almost 30 minutes in front of me. He was a georgeous 3.5 yr old 15 pt with THREE drop tines! It took lots of will power to only shoot him with my video camera, but I didn't want to upset my buddy.
                      I showed everyone the video and was congratulated for being true and not shooting him. That evening, his nephew hunted that stand a d shot that buck. I was a little sick inside, knowing that I could have taken him, but knew that I had done right.

That was the first and only drop tine buck that I have ever seen in over 35 years of deer hunting.

Comment

I guided my brother in law on a management buck near Laredo. We got it on film, and he was pumped to have a nice 6.5 135 inch 10 point. We were allowed two bucks on this ranch so now it was time for me to start focusing on a trophy. I put my b-I-l in a blind and told him to shoot a hog or javelina. I guess I forgot to specify not to shoot another buck as he should of known I only got two bucks. A few minutes later, he calls and stated he has another buck down but only this one was bigger. I asked if he was joking and sure enough it was no joke. He had a beautiful 10 point laying on the ground which about made me throw-up. He asked if I was mad and I said no bc its my fault for letting you hunt by yourself. I also stated that my hunting season was done for the year. He keeps asking when he can go hunting again, but I always have a good excuse ready.

Moral of the story: don't let guest sit by themselves. It's your fault if they mess up.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                          I heard of a guy going hog hunting at night on a place as a guest and he had his gf or something with him and was trying to show off and shot what he thought was a big hog turned out to be the owners prized bull that he had just bought!!
                          We booked the Deadwood Land and Cattle ranch in Deadwood, TX for kids to hunt. 3 groups of father/sons with one guy going solo. with mommies staying at the big cabin to cook. We were told that the ranch was just going to be us hunting. First evening we here a truck and the ranch managers side by side rolling through the property past 2 of our hunters in plain sight. We then heard 30 rounds from an AR-15 go off. It was upsetting. We all went in without seeing a deer and were talking about the truck and ranch manager driving the roads and all the gun shots. So the men loaded up to go see the ranch manager and he told us he booked a last minute hog hunt with father/son. The father unloaded on a prize winning heifer. We express our disgust with him allowing a hunter in the first place and laugh at what happened. We drove to see and sure enough this guy killed a massive heifer.
                          The Next day the ranch manager went out hunting near a group of ours and killed two doe in his personal stand that nobody else could hunt. So we decided that place wasn't for us.

Comment

I had the privilege of tagging along with a friend to his best friend huge ranch. I was told i could shoot a long spike WT, sika, or axis doe and of course hogs. I hunted for 3 days and saw a spike that looked long to me several of the times i was sitting. I even asked the owner about it and he kept insisting it be a long spike. so the last day comes and that spike shows up. i sit there wondering whether to shoot or not and finally i decide that i have passed it up enough times and i still think it meets the land owners requirements. well i get a good shot and the owner finally comes to pick me up and immediately he sees the deer and his expression changes. doesn't say a word about it. i felt so awful, but in my mind thought that I was completely right in my shot. Oh well, i have apologized many times he still doesn't bring it up when we talk. guess i learned my lesson! When in doubt, don't throw one out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
                              Moral of the story: don't let guest sit by themselves. It's your fault if they mess up.
                              Agree 1000%. The thing I never realized until being burned several times is that 90% of people who come to hunt your lease/ranch just want to pull the release/trigger and kill something.

Also most people have never had the opportunity to look at multiple deer and have choices.

I hunt on some other properties with friends and as much as I may have the green light on management deer and does I would never shoot a deer unless he was specifically shown to me or unless I video taped it and got the go ahead. I've found that this gets you invited back more often.

Comment

The next time we see a lease available and it says "No guest allowed" we will all know why.

Comment

Working...
                                X