Matador WMA antlerless hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador WMA antlerless hunt

Wanted to start my own thread about this and not clog up another member's thread.

My son and I were drawn for the Dec. 16-20 antlerless hunt at Matador. I've been reading as many threads on here and other forums about Matador. Looks like it's going to be a very interesting hunt.

What I have seen is the compartments on the east side are probably the best for whitetail doe. I believe my son was picked first and I was picked second which means we will have first pick at the compartments. I'm leaning toward the O.X. compartment.

Has anyone hunted that particular one?

If it's just does only, I like the far northwest pasture. Big pasture and doesn't have good internal road access though. But, many deer and hogs and pretty country to hunt (sit in the right spot and you can see a lot of country). Haven't hunted OX, but there are deer over the entire place, you shouldn't have trouble. For bucks though, you are correct that the east side is the place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
      Wanted to start my own thread about this and not clog up another member's thread.

My son and I were drawn for the Dec. 16-20 antlerless hunt at Matador. I've been reading as many threads on here and other forums about Matador. Looks like it's going to be a very interesting hunt.

What I have seen is the compartments on the east side are probably the best for whitetail doe. I believe my son was picked first and I was picked second which means we will have first pick at the compartments. I'm leaning toward the O.X. compartment.

How can you tell where you are in the draw order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted a few times and deer can be found all over. Best to spot and stalk till you locate them. Did this hunt last year and my Brother and I left with in 24 hours. Weather was a PIA as it was like 12 degrees that day.

Comment

Good luck, I am going on the Archery hunt October 16-20 so I will report back with whatever I find out. Feel free to send me a Pm and we can share info. I have never been there before just an FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
            How can you tell where you are in the draw order?

I read a post that said the last two digits of your permit is the place you were drawn. My sons is 01 and mine is 02.

Comment

I read a post that said the last two digits of your permit is the place you were drawn. My sons is 01 and mine is 02.

Hmm, my daughter has been fortunate enough to draw two hunts this year and her permits end in 82 and 77 so that theory might not work?

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                Hmm, my daughter has been fortunate enough to draw two hunts this year and her permits end in 82 and 77 so that theory might not work?

You may be correct. I can't recall where I read that at. Congrats to your daughter!

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                  Good luck, I am going on the Archery hunt October 16-20 so I will report back with whatever I find out. Feel free to send me a Pm and we can share info. I have never been there before just an FYI
                  Cool deal.....good luck on your hunt! I'll touch base with you after you have completed the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Take em View Post
                    Hunted a few times and deer can be found all over. Best to spot and stalk till you locate them. Did this hunt last year and my Brother and I left with in 24 hours. Weather was a PIA as it was like 12 degrees that day.

As much as I would like to take advantage of the entire length of the "season", if the temps are that cold I hope to be done within 24 hours as well LOL!

Comment

Last time I hunted MAtador it was in the OX pasture. WE could have tagged out if we wanted to. Hunting buddy shot a 125" ish buck. I saw several in the same size but was looking for larger. Saw lots of deer. I hunted the mound where the road turns back west at the back of the pasture. My buddy hunted about 500+ yards west of me. WE both saw a good many deer. Wheat fields where NE of that pasture and deer where following creek and ridge to and from them.

Comment

Correction. We where in the Shorty pasture......

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Correction. We where in the Shorty pasture......
                          Were you assigned that compartment or did you get to pick?

Comment

I think we where assigned because we only had 2 hunters in our group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I know we saw way more than any other group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X