AZ OTC Mule Deer Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AZ OTC Mule Deer Tactics

I’m headed to AZ in January and am looking for any knowledge the greenscreen is willing to share regarding tactics. I’m not looking for you to divulge your spot or even the unit you hunt, I’ve done my own research and have a few areas picked out.

I’ve taken two mule deer in Montana by glassing broken country near alfalfa fields, then stalking in on bedded or feeding bucks. Since there isn’t any agriculture in the OTC units, where do you focus your glassing efforts? Creek beds, timber clearings, broken country, desert?

I’ll be backpacking in so that I can remain mobile and be in good country early and late.

Any input is appreciated.

AZ OTC mule deer. Hmmm. Sounds like fun. No advice, but if they are chasing, I would find a hot doe. Good luck!

Comment

Ive hunted the AZ desert OTC around the galliuro mts areas, best advice is to get up high and glass the foothills early in the day and get ready for a long stalk if you find a shooter, watering holes are key in the desert. Good thing about it is if you buy a regular OTC deer tag you can shoot a mulie or a coues deer as long as its season for both.. Ive seen some monster coues around those mts but still havent connected with one yet.

Comment

TTT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm hunting in January with an outfitter in New Mexico 2B for the late bow season. Good luck in Az! Nice to have something to look forward to after the texas season.

Comment

I enjoy hunting the mountains and have historically gone into withdrawals most of the year. This year I added a May spot and stalk bear hunt to my annual rotation. Adding a January mule deer hunt will help break up the longest stretch. My summer scouting trips and mountain family vacations get my legs and lungs ready for August and September. Once my career and family situation allows, I'd love to live in Montana.

Anyone else have any input? I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason behind where they find the deer on most of the videos I've watched.

Comment

Challenging hunt. I went for mule deer, but was blessed with an opportunity at a coues deer that I couldn’t pass.

Comment

Good times!!!

Comment

Congrats on the trophy! Terrain looks awesome. I'll be in AZ opening day of the 2018 archery season chasing Mulies.

Comment

Wow...awesome! Congrats on a great buck!

Comment

Very nice. Congrats!

Comment

Headed to Unit 27 in September for the first time. Glad you found success. Any tips for a first timer?

Comment

CONGRATS!! Great hunt & NICE Coues!!

Comment

Following is my response to the pms I’m getting:

I hiked 3.5 miles into the first area and only found 5 deer in two days. Second area I hiked back 5 miles before I started finding deer. I ended up killing my deer 7 miles in. Between 5 and 7 miles I found a lot of mule deer. I saw most deer the first 20 minutes and last hour of the day.

I’d expect September would be a drastically different hunt, so I’m not sure my observation would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                              Following is my response to the pms I’m getting:

I hiked 3.5 miles into the first area and only found 5 deer in two days. Second area I hiked back 5 miles before I started finding deer. I ended up killing my deer 7 miles in. Between 5 and 7 miles I found a lot of mule deer. I saw most deer the first 20 minutes and last hour of the day.

I’d expect September would be a drastically different hunt, so I’m not sure my observation would apply.

What unit did you hunt?

Comment

Working...
                              X