No announcement yet.

Trapping squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always used the live traps. I would take the cap off of an aerosol (spray paint) can and drill two small holes in it and ty-rap it inside the trap. This keeps them from pulling it to the edge from the outside and it's something to hold your bait. I would use pecans and/or corn for bait. I think my record was around 106 for the year.

Comment

106?!?!?! I'm just shooting for 1 that i know of. If i can get this one i will be on cloud 9 lol then I'm gonna boil his skull and add it to my trophies. Baited with peanuts and corn. Fingers crossed! Now I'm off to learn about snares lol

Comment

Update. I baited trap with corn on the cob and peanuts. In a couple hours i checked and saw the trap was sprung but he got away. When i tied the corn on the cob to the trigger i left too much slack (that's my guess anyway) so empty trap. I cut the wire as much as i could so if the corn moves at all it should trigger the trap. I'm gonna get this little f*cker sooner or later dammit

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
          Update. I baited trap with corn on the cob and peanuts. In a couple hours i checked and saw the trap was sprung but he got away. When i tied the corn on the cob to the trigger i left too much slack (that's my guess anyway) so empty trap. I cut the wire as much as i could so if the corn moves at all it should trigger the trap. I'm gonna get this little f*cker sooner or later dammit
          Glue boards bro

Comment

Did you catch it?

Comment

We had squirrels chew through our soffet and now running around in our attic. I managed to clip 2 with a bb gun, but there's still squirrels running. Went and bought a trap and baited it with peanuts, but looking for any tips. Better bait? I tried peanut butter but no dice with that. Do i need to disguise the trap? Different bait?
              Live catch traps that trip easy. Get a big bag of HEB bird seed. I place mine on a 2 x 6 that sits like a bench between two trees. They can't stay out of it. I was trapping 3 per day with one trap. Dogs let me know when one gets in it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                I caught one in my sisters attic a while back. I tried all kinds of baits. Finally I put a small bowl of water in the trap. Little devil finally got thirsty.

You guy's that are relocating them need to relocate them into a pot of squirrel and dumplins.
                How can you possibly like slimy dumplings but not runny eggs?

Comment

Had great luck with corn or apples. Our squirrels eat anything it seems. Hope you get them soon

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                    Yep...they can't resist pecans!! Drill a hole in one and wire it to the trigger.
                    I had trouble getting squirrels to trip the gates on a Hav-A-Heart live trap until I zip tied pecans to the bait tray. After that, it was easy-peasy catching the little varmints.

Good luck - those suckers can be so destructive.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      How can you possibly like slimy dumplings but not runny eggs?
                      If your dumplins are slimy, your doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        Using a conibear 110 on my fence

Think you used enough dynamite, Butch?

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Well i got one. No way to know if it's just a neighborhood squirrel or the one from my soffit i guess. I'll reset the trap and keep an ear open for any more scrambling around my soffit

Comment

Well i got one. No way to know if it's just a neighborhood squirrel or the one from my soffit i guess. I'll reset the trap and keep an ear open for any more scrambling around my soffit
                            Surely you posed for a LDP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                              Surely you posed for a LDP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                              Lol i didn't

Comment

Quick update. I have managed to trap 2 squirrels so far. I found that corn on the cob works best for bait. But today i foumd my trap triggered with movement inside so i got excited. Only to find i had trapped a small bird lol apparently birds like corn on the cob too. Yes i released the bird btw
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X