No announcement yet.

Fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no clue how fast mine is. The arrow flies straight tho...

Comment

FPS is really a selling Point for Compound bows and is not used much if at all on this side of the fence. As stated its more about what you as a Bowhunter bring to the Game.

Comment

I've never shot mine through a chronograph, but when I plug all my stats into the Stu Miller calculator, it estimates 172fps for my longbow. Not having shot a compound for a few years I kinda forgot how fast they are. I recently shot with a friend who has the latest Bowtech. For comparisons sake, we stood at 20 yards and did the "1,2,3, shoot". Not only was his almost twice as fast, the difference in trajectory looked like slow pitch softball vs. a Nolan Ryan fastball.

Comment

Having a faster bow just magnifies any tiny mistake you make. Unless you have perfect form and are a shooting machine a slower bow will be far more forgiving for 95% of us! Slow, quiet and accurate wins out over fast, noisy and am I gonna hit where I want any day!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
            Having a faster bow just magnifies any tiny mistake you make. Unless you have perfect form and are a shooting machine a slower bow will be far more forgiving for 95% of us! Slow, quiet and accurate wins out over fast, noisy and am I gonna hit where I want any day!
            I'll second what Ol Man says!

Comment

I agree as well. Speed of the arrow is not what kills. Shot placement does. Along with that, a quiet setup is far more important than speed. If the animal hears the bow and jumps the string it won't be in the same place when the arrow gets there no matter how fast the bow is. Even the fastest compound bows and crossbows can't shoot faster than the speed of sound and it doesn't take an animal long to react to unfamiliar sound.

Comment

It seems to me that even knowing what fps your bow shoots is a bit anti-trad.

Comment

Originally posted by jmack View Post

Not really... as many are compound converts it will give them a sense of exactly what a much slower bow can still do for them!

I like to have an idea as it also allows me to figure out my KE on any given arrow/point bow setup.

Comment

we were at the range and my buddies where checking their bow so i said watch and and watch this speed demon!! They just kind of chuckled....

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                      is chrononed a word?
                      Adding "chrononed" to my vocabulary...just sounds redneck...

Comment

Haa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!

I've been a trad shooter from the beginning, and admittedly I have almost always been a performance freak.

Be 57 soon, and started shooting when I was around 8 or 9.

The faster I can launch a heavy arrow, the better I like it.

Rick

Comment

163 fps 52# @ 28 selfbow . Ask Stan the bowman he owns it now.
                          Rick by the way he needs one of your fast skinny strings. Please fix him up.

Comment

With my Rick Barbee string my longbow launches a 710 grain arrow at the speed of light. No not really, but it is faster that I can run. The best part is when it hits the mark it is carrying a lot of momentum. i guess one of these days I will shoot it through a chrono just to see how fast. Like said above do not worry about speed.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                              163 fps 52# @ 28 selfbow . Ask Stan the bowman he owns it now.
                              Rick by the way he needs one of your fast skinny strings. Please fix him up.
                              That is a rocket of a selfbow. :thumbup:

Comment

Working...
                              X