Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    I would offer to contribute half the cost of a low fence.
    Yep.

Comment

I agree with you OP. Tell him you will split the cost to replace what you already have there. If he wants to upgrade with a high fence then that's on him.

Comment

My thoughts are; you handled it neighborly.
        Last edited by Charles; 08-11-2017, 06:57 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

If he wanted, he could build the high fence into his property and refuse to let you tie your fence into his. This would force you to build your low fence by yourself on the property line. If this doesn't bother you, tell him you wont contribute to the HF.

Comment

Sounds like he is probably going to HF his side anyway, therefore, put your money towards a HF on the side of your property that doesn't have the HF. Then you will be completely HF and only pay for one side. My 2 cents!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BDR View Post
              Some of y'all crack me up with your bad boy internet responses. Let me just start by saying I've been your neighbor. It's his prerogative to high fence not yours. IMO the right thing to do is offer to pay for half of what a LOW FENCE would cost. If he refuses to take you up on that then once again, his prerogative. If you don't like that idea and offer nothing then if I'm your neighbor I back MY fence off the property line a bit and when your cows or something else that belongs to you messes it up.... you deal with the legal consequences. Been there done that.... pretty simple.
              Legal consequences??
              Texas is a fence out state. If you don't want something on your land then you have to fence it out. It isn't the owner of whatever's problem to repair the fence or build one for that matter. You could build a brand new fence as far away from the property line as you want and if a big bull goes over there and jumps through it. Then it's your job to fix the fence or build a better one. Not the owner of the bull. Look it up. I think it's called free range state or something like that. He should pay half of a low cattle fence and that's all . We have done the same on the ranch I run.

Comment

Yep, you are in the right. He shouldn't even ask. If he owns 1,000 acres and can afford to high fence it he doesn't need the help paying for it.

Comment

bigboy

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                    Legal consequences??
                    Texas is a fence out state. If you don't want something on your land then you have to fence it out. It isn't the owner of whatever's problem to repair the fence or build one for that matter. You could build a brand new fence as far away from the property line as you want and if a big bull goes over there and jumps through it. Then it's your job to fix the fence or build a better one. Not the owner of the bull. Look it up. I think it's called free range state or something like that. He should pay half of a low cattle fence and that's all . We have done the same on the ranch I run.
                    Hey bud not gonna argue with you. You can quote all the "laws" that you think you know. Trust me I've been there done that got the tshirt as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by BDR View Post
                      Hey bud not gonna argue with you. You can quote all the "laws" that you think you know. Trust me I've been there done that got the tshirt as they say.
                      you got bad legal representation.

Comment

Is it his HF that is going around 3 sides of your property? Or did any of the sides already have HF?

Reason I ask, its kind of a d*ck move if one LO is going all the way around your property. Nevermind the fact that 1000 acres isn't enough range for deer. But if it's 3 different LO's, and you are already HF on two sides, I could see how he would ask you, and I wouldn't consider it unreasonable for him to ask.

Comment

Yes, I think your response is appropriate. Think it's pretty nervy to even think you should contribute to his plan.

Comment

Just say no if you don't want a high fence. The only problem is, if you ever do decide to fence the place completely, you are going to have a problem tying in the corners if he insets the new fence.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                              you got bad legal representation.
                              No I had good representation... We were on the winning side.

Comment

I would tell him the only way you will pay half is if he gives rights to hunt his property.

Comment

Working...
                                X