No announcement yet.

Homemade trailer license plates on a trailer that's not homemade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brought my trailer from Oklahoma where they don't register them and tried to get a tag here, what a nightmare. Went with homemade tag, there was a VIN at some point but can't see it, all faded out.

Comment

same here, I bought a car hauler from a guy out of florida. He gave me a "certificate of ownership" original reciept from the manufacture, has no serial numbers.

Comment

If the trailer is over 4000 lbs then its a lot bigger deal. Best thing if it has a number is to call tax office and see if its ever been registered. If not, then the task force can inspect and issue a reassignment of title deal and your home free. If it has been registered then you have to go back to original owner and figure it out....if they are still alive!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
          Yea that's a big no no! Y I'm not really sure I've heard several reasons
          why, because it makes it easy for people to steal trailers....

Comment

I learned the hard way so if I buy a trailer of any sort it's got to be registered and titled. Even if its a cheap price.

Comment

I can say from experience be very careful. I had a trailer that the sticker wore off due to the trailer being 20 years old. Took it to get inspected and the trailer was seized. Had a bill of sale and traced the trailer through all owners to a deceased man and was still Tom the county was going to keep my trailer. I had to speak it to a higher court before getting my trailer back. Certain counties are REAL bad about their letter of the law.

Comment

Interesting. I have a home made trailer with parts off a wrecked factory trailer. I know it doesn't have a serial #, but, you can see where it used to say "Sportsman" on the fenders. I better be careful.

Comment

Yeah, how are the going to prove my trailer isn't homemade? Every trailer I own, I have built, but every one of them used some parts off of a manufactured trailer. Some you can tell are custom jobs, and some look pretty professional if you ask me, and I did build them.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter68 View Post
                    I can say from experience be very careful. I had a trailer that the sticker wore off due to the trailer being 20 years old. Took it to get inspected and the trailer was seized. Had a bill of sale and traced the trailer through all owners to a deceased man and was still Tom the county was going to keep my trailer. I had to speak it to a higher court before getting my trailer back. Certain counties are REAL bad about their letter of the law.
                    What a bummer, trying to do the right thing and get hassled. My trailer is old and there is no way possible to know what the serial number was so I guess the county can just take it if they want.

Comment

The last time I hauled my old travel trailer to the lease I just went to the tax office and got a $5 two week tag. I think it's called a destination tag or something? Trailer hasn't been registered in YEARS!

Comment

all I did on my homemade trailer was use a set of number stamps to put a number on it and then get it registered with a serial number. no big deal.

Comment

I've been warned twice,in Brownwood..The 2nd time he ran my record,and said"you were warned for this very same liscence plate 6mos.ago...I got a real one after that.They keep records,and can look up anything nowadays.

Comment

I have a manufactured trailer I bought from a buddy when I lived in MS. I had a title to it but after several moves I have lost it. It has MS tags on it right now but they expired back in Dec. How can I go about getting it tagged?

Comment

So what is the reasoning for running the trailer plate in the first place ? Speeding ? Lights ? Overloaded ? Looks like a regular plate. An officer would not know if it was a home made tag unless it was ran thru the system.

Comment

Because they are a highly sought item by thieves.

Comment

Working...
                                X