Homemade trailer license plates on a trailer that's not homemade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade trailer license plates on a trailer that's not homemade

I always had a home made trailer plate that I swapped around to whatever trailer I needed. Not so good....if you have a homemade trailer plate on a trailer that has a vin or a mfg name number on it the popo can confiscate your trailer and whatever is on it. I just went thru all the bs of getting the correct registration for a boat trailer I had never registered . Be careful...

Yea that's a big no no! Y I'm not really sure I've heard several reasons

Comment

I've had people tell me to do that but I've always been too scared to try to get away with it.

Comment

I went through the same thing a while back. Trailer got confiscated, the original manufacture "forgot" to stamp is with a serial number. So the sheriffs department thought it was stolen until they were able to get him on the phone and he verified that he made it. Then I had to drag the trailer 3 hours back to his shop to get a serial stamped in it, and take it back to the sheriffs department to get it approved.

I learned the hard way....

Comment

We had one license plate for 4 or 5 trailers. We just swapped it over to whatever we were pulling that day.

If we had to use two trailers at the same time, we drew straws to see who got to use the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
            We had one license plate for 4 or 5 trailers. We just swapped it over to whatever we were pulling that day.

If we had to use two trailers at the same time, we drew straws to see who got to use the plate.
            LOL !!! Sounds like me and my father-in-law. Guess we would be better off going to the tax office and just getting them registered...but that would take all the fun out of it.

Comment

What does it take to get a trailer registured that hasnt been?

Comment

Got pulled over the other day with a farm trailer tag on my boat trailer, told the popo I had a crawfish farm. He believed me, he was from Harris County.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                  Got pulled over the other day with a farm trailer tag on my boat trailer, told the popo I had a crawfish farm. He believed me, he was from Harris County.
                  Now that's funny right there

Comment

Originally posted by focushunter View Post
                    What does it take to get a trailer registured that hasnt been?
                    Depends on what county you live in. Some require you to go to the tag office and tell them you have a shop built trailer you want to get registered Farm Use. They ask you what axles you have underneath it, give them 6 bucks and you walk of 10 mins later with a new tag.

Other counties require a bunch of BS on the same trailer like taking it to have it weighed from someone with certified scales, pay someone who works for the tag office 15 bucks to inspect it (must have tires that say For Trailer Use Only, lights, fenders, safety chains, etc), sending the info off and waiting 3 months to get a title and serial number plate, then you can go get it registered.

Now, say you live in the second county I mention, you get a friend or a family member who lives in the first county to register it, then take the paper work to your tag office when the registration runs out and tell them you just bought this from whoever and need to get it registered in your name, you get it registered without all the hassle.

Comment

dang, never thought of that. I have been pulled over in floresville with dealer tags on a boat trailer coming back from the coast (customer demo and a little bit of fishing). Dps told me I was awful far away from the dealership for a demo. Showed him my business card and everything, still gave me a hard time. Aint my fault customer wanted to meet at the coast. Kinda stupid cause we have demos and boat shows all the time.

Comment

We and most other auto theft task force agencies only seize if the VIN has been altered/obliterated/missing and the trailer is in fact a manufactured trailer. If the VIN if still on the trailer why would they seize it, they can check for stolen via computer.

We conduct 68A inspections so guys like the above can get a trailer registered correctly. Call your local Auto Theft Task Force (17 across the state and ask for a 68A inspection).

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          Yea that's a big no no! Y I'm not really sure I've heard several reasons
                          Got to pay the taxman.

If plates do not match the trailer, it might be stolen... in addition to not paying your taxes/registration.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
                            Depends on what county you live in. Some require you to go to the tag office and tell them you have a shop built trailer you want to get registered Farm Use. They ask you what axles you have underneath it, give them 6 bucks and you walk of 10 mins later with a new tag.

Other counties require a bunch of BS on the same trailer like taking it to have it weighed from someone with certified scales, pay someone who works for the tag office 15 bucks to inspect it (must have tires that say For Trailer Use Only, lights, fenders, safety chains, etc), sending the info off and waiting 3 months to get a title and serial number plate, then you can go get it registered.

Now, say you live in the second county I mention, you get a friend or a family member who lives in the first county to register it, then take the paper work to your tag office when the registration runs out and tell them you just bought this from whoever and need to get it registered in your name, you get it registered without all the hassle.
                            Yup I'm jumping through all those hoops right now trying to get an old stock trailer that hasn't been registered since the 80s and the owner we bought it from never registered it. So now we are trying to contact the original owner and as of today no luck.

Comment

Won a trailer from Maxey last year and tried to do it legally and it still was a nightmare because of the Nazis clerks that work at our court house.

Comment

Working...
                              X