running a ac 225 welder on a generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running a ac 225 welder on a generator

Is it possible, and if so what size generator would you need to run a lincoln ac 225 stick rod welding machine. Also, I have recieved a used welding machine ac 225 and was wondering what is the best way to check to see if it is working properly. I thought that it might be best to take it by a welder and let him look it over. I have not hooked it up to see if it will even run. The leads are all clean, there are no breaks in the sheaths. Thanks

coleman 6250 runs mine just fine

Comment

thanks

ever any problems with running it off that generator. Any pearls to the set up. This is good news for the future. I appreciate any input .

Comment

none that i can speak of ....been building cattle pens and its worked fine

Comment

From the Lincoln Website

It is a 230v welder x 50 amp draw at max output is about 11,500 watts. You will pobably be using it at about half power,so a 5 or 6k watt generator should work just fine.

I'm so happy that I can actually be useful today. I sell welding supplies, so I get these questions alot.

Comment

re

when you say, use it 1/2 power, does that mean running it around 125, which is where I plan to try.

Comment

what are you welding or how thick of steel?

Comment

pipe

drill stem pipe with 6011 rods on a AC 255 lincoln stick rod welding machine

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                  when you say, use it 1/2 power, does that mean running it around 125, which is where I plan to try.
                  sorry, I should have explained. I just assumed you would be using it at lower amperage, most people weld 3/32" or 1/8" rods with a machine like that, so I figured amp draw at 1/2 power, or about 125 amps. You probably wont be running that high though. Letmeknow if you have any questions.

Comment

How do you plug the welding machine into the generator. The plugs are different. Is there an attachment or do I have to switch out the plug.

Comment

How do you plug the welding machine into the generator. The plugs are different. Is there an attachment or do I have to switch out the plug.
                      All you have to do is change the cord cap.

Comment

warrington ....where you stay ?.....have a bucket full of these plugs if you need one!

Comment

mesquite, tx east of dallas. Where do you buy them from and how do you install them. Thanks for yalls help.

Comment

Is that where I would just change out the end plug on my welding machine.

Comment

Is that where I would just change out the end plug on my welding machine.
                              Thats it.

Comment

Working...
                              X