Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried this for food plots?- Nite Guard

Nite Guard Solar-Powered Night Animal

Bought one and put it out a week ago. Not sure it will help but hoping it could keep the deer off long enough for some new sprouts to establish in the food plot.
    Says it covers 800ft x 1/4 mile
    Anyone tried them?

Attached Files

No but in for results!

Comment

It may work for what you need but I doubt it. It will scare some animals but even some that it scares will get used to it and then it wont bother them at all. If I were you, I would try moving it every couple of days as that will help some also. I know some deer and hogs will not be spooked at all by it since I do a lot of night hunting for hogs with red lights with my bow. My go to way to light them up is to flash them first with the red light until the stop reacting to the flash. Once they are no longer reacting to the flash of light, I will turn the light on and shoot them. I've also done the same on deer while waiting for pigs to come in so I know there are a lot of deer and hogs that will not care about a red flashing light as I've seen it hundreds of times. This is mostly at feeders and animals are way more likely to spook at a flashing light around a feeder then they are out in a field. I seriously doubt that flashing light will have any effect on animals out past 50 yards yet they are claiming basically 266 yards by 1320 yards, no way will it be effective at those ranges on the majority of deer and hogs.

I also got a laugh at this quote from their website.

Through his research, Jim found that a flashing red light appears to a predator like the eye of another predator. Many animals have a reflective layer in their eyes called a tapetum lucidum. Translated from Latin it means “bright tapestry”. Think about how the eyes of dogs and cats glow green when you take pictures of them with a camera flash on; that’s the tapetum lucidum layer.

The flashing mimics a phenomenon animals are accustomed to seeing in nature at night

What BS, He is basically saying that animals are accustomed to seeing other animals eyes light up at night. Really, I didn't know animals were running around lighting up other animals eyes at night. IMO, a flashing white light would work better and even better then that would be a flashing white light that only flashes once every 10 minutes with the sound of a gun going off every time it flashes.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        It may work for what you need but I doubt it. It will scare some animals but even some that it scares will get used to it and then it wont bother them at all. If I were you, I would try moving it every couple of days as that will help some also. I know some deer and hogs will not be spooked at all by it since I do a lot of night hunting for hogs with red lights with my bow. My go to way to light them up is to flash them first with the red light until the stop reacting to the flash. Once they are no longer reacting to the flash of light, I will turn the light on and shoot them. I've also done the same on deer while waiting for pigs to come in so I know there are a lot of deer and hogs that will not care about a red flashing light as I've seen it hundreds of times. This is mostly at feeders and animals are way more likely to spook at a flashing light around a feeder then they are out in a field. I seriously doubt that flashing light will have any effect on animals out past 50 yards yet they are claiming basically 266 yards by 1320 yards, no way will it be effective at those ranges on the majority of deer and hogs.

I also got a laugh at this quote from their website.

What BS, He is basically saying that animals are accustomed to seeing other animals eyes light up at night. Really, I didn't know animals were running around lighting up other animals eyes at night. IMO, a flashing white light would work better and even better then that would be a flashing white light that only flashes once every 10 minutes with the sound of a gun going off every time it flashes.
        I completely agree having used lights on feeders for several years now. They get used to them pretty quickly.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Agreed that they will become accustomed to it quickly, just hoping it might fend off some of them long enough to establish growth.
          Can’t tell if there is much difference except had a small crew of buck starting to get some growth run off the plot midafternoon when I first got there. Biggest need is for rain. Put out a cam on time lapse so I’ll much have a better idea of effectiveness after letting it sit a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X