black eye peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black eye peas

Thinking of trying something different this year. Anyone got a good recipe they care to share?

Here's what I'm planning but I could mix it up a little if someone has a good sounding one to me:

• 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
    • 2 sausage links diced
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 ribs celery, diced
    • salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
    1. Soak the black-eyed peas overnight. Drain.
    2. In a small skillet, sauté the diced sausage with onion until onion is browned.
    3. Combine sausage and onions with the drained peas and remaining ingredients; Add water just to cover. Simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until tender, checking and adding a little more water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings.

I go with the old standard of okra in the black eyed peas.....fresh green beans work well as well...and both are the bomb!!!

Comment

I don't know how much of a standard it is but I have never heard of okra and black eye peas, much less eaten any.

Comment

Always put 3 or 4 pods of okra (Leave caps on) in Black eyes, cream and purple hulls

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          I don't know how much of a standard it is but I have never heard of okra and black eye peas, much less eaten any.
          where are you from?

this is probably the closest recipe for those interested....however I have not used the onion....

hmm...just came across this one...http://livegreeneatgreenbegreen.blogspot.com/

Lady Pea (Black-Eyed Pea) Gumbo

3 c fresh field peas/lady peas/black eyed peas, washed
          1 bay leaf
          dash garlic salt
          3 Tbsp olive oil
          2 garlic cloves, minced
          2 c chopped okra
          1 onion, diced
          1 c green pepper, diced
          1 14 oz can tomatoes with juice
          1 Tbsp cajun seasoning of choice
          1/2 c brown rice

1. Prepare field peas by combining 3 c peas with 1 1/2 c water, bay leaf, 1 Tbsp olive oil and dash of garlic salt. Bring to boil and spoon of top layer of 'suds' that forms at the surface. Continue to boil for 20 minutes
          2. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to respective package directions.
          3. In saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil at medium heat. Add garlic, onion, green pepper, and okra and cook for about 8 minutes or until the onion is tender. Add can of tomatos in juice, cajun seasoning, and cooked peas. Bring to boil and let simmer about five minutes.
          4. Combine with rice just before serving

Comment

dang!

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
              I go with the old standard of okra in the black eyed peas.....fresh green beans work well as well...and both are the bomb!!!
              didn't have fresh but did have frozen green beans in th freezer so I put a handful in there. Completely forgotten about adding one of these.

Thanks.

Comment

Dang blacksunshine you definitely want to eliminate me from the weight loss contest posting something like that don't you!

I used to dice up jalapenos to add to mine but with the young ones around the house, the food has gotten less spicy. I've also diced up red & green bell peppers when I have them. Pretty much everything I cook, I start with a recipe and customize it based on whats' available around the house and what sounds good to me at that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                  Dang blacksunshine you definitely want to eliminate me from the weight loss contest posting something like that don't you!
                  that starts today right....24 hours in a day.... just sayin...I have been avoiding the threads....porking up a little to get the ball rolling...haha...ok..porking up more....

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                  I start with a recipe and customize it based on whats' available around the house and what sounds good to me at that moment.
                  typical bachelor cuisine.... (it's how all the good recipes are born)

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
                    that starts today right....24 hours in a day.... just sayin...I have been avoiding the threads....porking up a little to get the ball rolling...haha...ok..porking up more....

typical bachelor cuisine.... (it's how all the good recipes are born)
                    I did my official weigh in yesterday. Wow i put some on lately! I guess all those trips to BBQ places at lunch haven't been good for me!

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
                      Always put 3 or 4 pods of okra (Leave caps on) in Black eyes, cream and purple hulls
                      My problem is that I like okra too much and always end up putting way more in mine. It turns into okra with a few peas on the side!

Comment

Working...
                      X