What Happened To My Scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Remmy 700 w/a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 mounted w/ Talley Tactical 34mm rings & 20moa rail. I haven't handled the gun in about 2 months. Last night I pulled it out of the safe & **** scope was in an odd location. When I tilted the gun the scope slid thru the rings! The scope is sliding thru the rings like they were never tightened. I torqued them to Burris' specs (I believe 22 in/lb) w/a Wheeler Fat Wrench. What could have happened?

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
    I have a Remmy 700 w/a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 mounted w/ Talley Tactical 34mm rings & 20moa rail. I haven't handled the gun in about 2 months. Last night I pulled it out of the safe & **** scope was in an odd location. When I tilted the gun the scope slid thru the rings! The scope is sliding thru the rings like they were never tightened. I torqued them to Burris' specs (I believe 22 in/lb) w/a Wheeler Fat Wrench. What could have happened?

Comment

I’m not familiar with that scope but are you sure it has a 34mm main tube?

EDIT: Nvm, it does. Just looked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Are they still torqued to spec? If so, miss sized rings or bad tube. QC problems rare on those two.

Comment

Did you lap the rings before the install? The only time I have had a scope slip was also on a set of rings that I didn't lap. Needless to say I lap all my rings now.

Comment

Did you torque, let loose then retorque? That initial stress on the metal will sometimes cause it to stretch a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I’m not familiar with that scope but are you sure it has a 34mm main tube?

EDIT: Nvm, it does. Just looked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Definitely 34mm.
              Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              Are they still torqued to spec? If so, miss sized rings or bad tube. QC problems rare on those two.
              I haven't checked that yet but will ASAP.
              Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Did you lap the rings before the install? The only time I have had a scope slip was also on a set of rings that I didn't lap. Needless to say I lap all my rings now.
              I did not lap them as Talley voids the warranty if lapped & they guarantee no lapping is needed.
              Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              Did you torque, let loose then retorque? That initial stress on the metal will sometimes cause it to stretch a little.
              The rings are mega thick & the scope is built like a tank. I can't possibly see either of them being altered w/22 in/lbs. of torque.

I sent an email to Talley & they said "I don't know what happened. We'll send you a new set w/a return label". Killer CS but I need to know why this happened as I don't want it to ever happen again!

Comment

Talley wants them back to do an assessment. I just checked & w/the torque wrench set on ~22 in/lbs. the screws tightened easily. The only thing I can fathom happened is the screws stretched???
                Weird deal & curious as to what Talley comes up with. They're shipping me a new set today w/a return label. Their CS appears to be top notch!

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                  Definitely 34mm.

I haven't checked that yet but will ASAP.

I did not lap them as Talley voids the warranty if lapped & they guarantee no lapping is needed.

The rings are mega thick & the scope is built like a tank. I can't possibly see either of them being altered w/22 in/lbs. of torque.

I sent an email to Talley & they said "I don't know what happened. We'll send you a new set w/a return label". Killer CS but I need to know why this happened as I don't want it to ever happen again!
                  It is the bolts that stretch not the rings.

Comment

IDK why this site rotates photos! You can see where the scope slid down while in the safe then where it slid back when I tilted the gun looking at what the heck had gone wrong.[ATTACH]884976[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                      It is the bolts that stretch not the rings.
                      Thanks. That's the only reason I can see for this happening. I've mounted 15+ scopes using the same procedure. I'm very **** mounting my scopes & this is a first for me!

Comment

Do you make sure to set your torque wrench to 0 every time you’re done? If not, you could get a false reading

Comment

Had you shot this gun with that setup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            Do you make sure to set your torque wrench to 0 every time you’re done? If not, you could get a false reading
                            EVERY time! I'm OCD w/tools.

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            Had you shot this gun with that setup?

About 150 rounds.

Comment

My WAG is wrench didn't torque to spec that it was showing, and screws backed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X