Cotton seed feeder idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton seed feeder idea

We did the v mesh baskets this year and deer hammered cotton seed. So, we thought about making those baskets larger, maybe using a cattle panel in a circle? Seen the tote cages but cattle panel would be cheaper.

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    We did the v mesh baskets this year and deer hammered cotton seed. So, we thought about making those baskets larger, maybe using a cattle panel in a circle? Seen the tote cages but cattle panel would be cheaper.
    Don’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as they are light enough (when getting low) to where deer can push them around and get to the remaining seed.

Comment

I’d think they could reach heads in like a tote frame?

Comment

Is there a reason to put cotton seed in anything? Wouldn’t deer still eat it scattered out? It would still be just laying on the ground. I’ve never tried CS, so just curious.

Comment

From what I’ve seen on the 12 ton pile we had, deer will just poop and pee on the pile.

Comment

Put two or three of the same side in the same spot

Comment

I recommend building more v-mesh baskets and put two or three per feed station.

Comment

We did that, they still pick them clean. Really wanting to ramp up the output for next year.

Comment

I used the tote cage but I cut it in half and made 2 out of 1 cage. When it was the whole cage, it didn't work as good as I had hoped. I even build a wedge to go in the middle of it so the cotton seed would fall out towards the edges but they still couldn't get to it but with them cut in half, perfect!

I also wrap chicken wire around it so the seed doesn't just spill out onto the ground.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Fling em; 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

The half cage will hold about 500# of cotton seed

Comment

What is the point of cotton seed? Is it a S Texas supplement? I have not heard of anybody using it in north Texas.

Comment

Not many cotton fields in North Texas area. Its for protein feeding.

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
                        What is the point of cotton seed? Is it a S Texas supplement? I have not heard of anybody using it in north Texas.

Comment

We've been using the tote cages for 4 years now and it has really worked well for us. We put about 1200 lbs on each tote. That's filling it up and some with a little spillage on the ground. Everyone on our lease filled their totes up twice and I'm kicking myself right now for not filling a third before the cottonseed got scarce. It's amazing how much more cottonseed our deer eat now compared to when we started. I think it is now safe to say that they have acquired the "taste" for it now. I'm planning on setting up another tote at one of my new pens next off season.

Those of you that are new to feeding cottonseed or interested in starting...... My advice is to not get discouraged and stick with it. Once the deer get used used to the change, they will hammer it and you will see a big noticeable difference.

Comment

We made baskets with round stock and thin expanded metal that are 8’x2.5’x22” and they sit 4” off the ground. We started by just dumping big piles but noticed the deer would just pee and poop in it while eating so we made the baskets for each blind and water trough.

In West Texas (Sanderson, alpine, ft. Stockton, etc) a lot of the cotton seed feeders used are cattle panel that is tied into a tube about 3-4’ in diameter and about 6-8’ tall. I wanted to do this but was out voted.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                              Not many cotton fields in North Texas area. Its for protein feeding.

So why not just feed protein? Doesn’t it get moldy with the rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X