Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paperwork when buying a used gun from individual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paperwork when buying a used gun from individual?

If I buy a used gun from an individual (Friend of mine) Do we need to do any paperwork? Does it matter if it's a Pistol, Shotgun, or Rifle?

What if I buy a used gun from a guy on Craigs List? Paperwork for that? How can you tell if a gun is stolen if?

Curious

If I sell I do a bill of sale to show I don't own the gun anymore. That's about it.

Comment

You dont have to do any paperwork. Its personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapper101 View Post
        If I buy a used gun from an individual (Friend of mine) Do we need to do any paperwork? Does it matter if it's a Pistol, Shotgun, or Rifle?

What if I buy a used gun from a guy on Craigs List? Paperwork for that? How can you tell if a gun is stolen if?

Curious
        FYI, you can't buy or sell guns on craigslist. If I was buying or selling directly with a stranger I would, at a minimum, do a bill of sale showing the date, a description of the gun, the serial number, and the drivers license information and DL number of the individual.

Comment

There are several online free documents that can be used. As others said at least do a bill of sell with dates, models, serial numbers and names of seller and buyer. Dont have to but good thing to have.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
            FYI, you can't buy or sell guns on craigslist. If I was buying or selling directly with a stranger I would, at a minimum, do a bill of sale showing the date, a description of the gun, the serial number, and the drivers license information and DL number of the individual.
            well, you can on craigslist, just have to get to the ad and email before the anti's find and flag it..

use this bill of sale:

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
              well, you can on craigslist, just have to get to the ad and email before the anti's find and flag it..

use this bill of sale:
              http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf
              I was saying it's against craigslist's rules...

Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:

Child ****ography, obscene materials, offers or solicitation of illegal prostitution.
              Weapons and related items, including firearms, ammunition, silencers, pellet/BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.

Comment

You can get your local PD to run the serial # through the data base to see if was reported stolen. Other than that for piece of mind, you do not have to fill out any paperwork in Texas when buying from a private individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                  There are several online free documents that can be used. As others said at least do a bill of sell with dates, models, serial numbers and names of seller and buyer. Dont have to but good thing to have.
                  If it turns out the gun was stolen and it shows up (say on a routine traffic stop and the officer sees the gun in the truck) you might lose the gun but you at least have proof you didn't steal it.

Comment

In a related issue...if you sell a car to an individual you are required to get that information (name address, etc.) and then go to the DMV website and report the sale within 30 days. Otherwise you can still be liable for tolls, accidents, etc. if they don't transfer the vehicle.

https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/M...ification.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
                      Not by craigslist rules. But people do it 24-7. Just not blatantly posted as such. You can even buy parts etc...

Comment

Working...
                      X