Headed to the Rez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to the Rez

Steve and I are meeting a buddy and his son from Garden City and driving to the Navajo Rez tomorrow. Both boys have spring bear tags and we will be hunting with Carnivore's Calvin Redhouse and his "Rez Hounds". Weather looks pretty good with 40's in the mornings and 70's in the afternoons, most importantly winds don't look to be over 15 mph.
    Conditions will be dry but running a bear is similar to hunting hogs, they give off a lot of scent. Should be a great and exciting hunt as many of the really big bears don't like to climb and prefer to fight it out on the ground. We will see a lot of beautiful country that very few people will ever see. See you in about a week.
    Adios,
    Gary

Be careful and watch out for “Hector”

Comment

Good luck and safe travels! Oh, be sure and enjoy those early morning temps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        nice!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck Gary, be safe send me pictures!

Comment

Temps were pretty cold in the mornings...28-34 but got warmed up to about 80 in the afternoons with too much wind. Kaden Kothmann from Garden City, TX and Steve, my youngest both had bear tags and both tagged out in three mornings. Tried to catch a lion yesterday morning as a lion was feeding on a road killed bear. We got in there about 5:30 AM and a bear had pushed the lion off the carcass.
              The dogs bayed the bear up but we pulled them off as no one had a bear tag. Strange thing was the lion moved about a quarter mile away and killed 15 sheep after getting bumped by the bear.
              By the way, this is the first time that I have ever seen a lion feed on a bear carcass. I am betting that the dry conditions are taking a toll on all the critters in the Rez.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

…….....interesting that the bear was feeding on the bear carcass! Had no idea they would geaux cannibalistic!!!! Getting that lion would have been SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

Comment

Glad you had a great trip! Also glad you had great morning temps!! I figured it would be in the 30 range.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    …….....interesting that the bear was feeding on the bear carcass! Had no idea they would geaux cannibalistic!!!! Getting that lion would have been SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!
                    Boars commonly eat bear cubs.

Comment

Stop and visit the trading post in Ganado if you get time.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        I just started longmire. I just finished the episode where they introduce Hector. Crazy timing to read this.

Comment

I took the Kothmann's to the Trading Post in Ganado as they had never been in the Rez. Also to Canyon de Chelley and a few of my other favorite spots. It is very dry up there as they had little snow this last winter. Most of the lakes in the mountains were dry and if they don't get a rain in June, there are going to be a lot of dead feral horses.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Working...
                          X