Do deer eat pecans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do deer eat pecans?

Found a stand of about 20 pecan trees and can't find any deer sign around them?

No deer sign maybe pecans not fallen yet?

Comment

you would think they would, but i have never seen them eat them. We had a lease in lampasas with about 30 pecan trees in a creek bottom and never seen a deer eat any of them. they just passed through

Comment

they'll eat 'em if you shell 'em

Comment

They hammer them at our place in San Saba!

Comment

we had a place when i was a kid that had a small clump of pecan trees and it was a hot spot. i never saw the deer in person eating them but there was always a deer taken around them trees

Comment

Originally posted by wcgunns View Post
              No deer sign maybe pecans not fallen yet?
              They've fallen, they're everywhere. I've seen a lot of coyote tracks in the area and even drove up on a coyote. Is it possible there are so many coyotes in the area that the deer just leave?

Comment

Our pecans haven't fallen yet. I've seen years where that is all they eat and others when they ignore them May have to do with what else is available.

Comment

Almost every animal will eat pecans including deer.

Comment

Our pecans haven't fallen either but you better wear a hard hat under the oak trees.

Comment

Might have something to do with what else is available, but also might have to do with the year. I know my pecan trees sometimes throw a TON of pecans, and other years won't drop hardly any. Then, some years they will be very tasty, and others they will be very bitter and not good to eat. Doesn't seem to have any correlation between high/low productivity years and good/bad tasting years.

Comment

They won't eat them while the green shell is on them. Once they dry and the shell opens up. the deer will hammer 'em. You thought they made a lot of noise eating corn - wait until you hear them pick up a pecan or two.

Comment

deer destroy pecans in places that I've hunted in LA and MS

the crunching sounds are pretty loud during early quiet mornings

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                            They won't eat them while the green shell is on them. Once they dry and the shell opens up. the deer will hammer 'em. You thought they made a lot of noise eating corn - wait until you hear them pick up a pecan or two.
                            That could be it, the green shells are still on most of them.

Comment

Deer will eat pecans.... Turkey love them also. My first turkey kill was full of pecans....

Comment

Working...
                              X