TC Arms 308 Barrel Uncenterd Bore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC Arms 308 Barrel Uncenterd Bore

Has anyone had any experience with what it will take to repair this problem other than replacing the barrel. I tried but could not get it to hold a pattern while sighting in and then had a gunsmith try the same and then he pointed out that the reason is the un-centered bore of the barrel which makes it move more due to less metal on one side of the barrel. Open for ideas.

Thanks
    Attached Files

TC has a great customer service and should replace the barrel for you.

Comment

Call Thompson I be they will replace it if it is a factory defect

Comment

Originally posted by kenforu View Post
        TC has a great customer service and should replace the barrel for you.
        This!

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
          Call Thompson I be they will replace it if it is a factory defect
          How could it not be[emoji33]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

....and here I thought Savage was the only ones offering barrels like that.

Contact T/C like others have stated.

Comment

Originally posted by diamonde40 View Post
              Has anyone had any experience with what it will take to repair this problem other than replacing the barrel. I tried but could not get it to hold a pattern while sighting in and then had a gunsmith try the same and then he pointed out that the reason is the un-centered bore of the barrel which makes it move more due to less metal on one side of the barrel. Open for ideas.

Thanks
              Wow. Mind if I re-post your picture on some T/C sites?

Is this a Springfield MA barrel, or the old N.H. T/C barrel?

Looks like it's been cut down, as I'm seeing flutes where it would normally be smooth. Has it, or is the picture just making it look that way? Not that it should matter - that bore is way off center. Just wondering if it had also been cut down.

All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

No Problem

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                Wow. Mind if I re-post your picture on some T/C sites?

Is this a Springfield MA barrel, or the old N.H. T/C barrel?

Looks like it's been cut down, as I'm seeing flutes where it would normally be smooth. Has it, or is the picture just making it look that way? Not that it should matter - that bore is way off center. Just wondering if it had also been cut down.

All the best,
                Glenn
                Don't mind the Re-Post anywhere.

Not sure about origin of the barrel. I bought it from someone else and if it was cut, which I don't know if it has or not, it is still not centered as you stated.

Comment

Originally posted by diamonde40 View Post
                  Don't mind the Re-Post anywhere.

Not sure about origin of the barrel. I bought it from someone else and if it was cut, which I don't know if it has or not, it is still not centered as you stated.
                  Thank you. The reason I was thinking it may have been cut is because the ProHunter barrel's flutes don't go all the way to the muzzle. They stop a little bit before getting there, and go back to a solid barrel before getting to that point. If it were cut and recrowned, the flutes would go all the way to the muzzle without going back to solid before getting there. I know of many that cut these barrels down.

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

What is the barrels current length?
                      All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

308 Barrel Length

A picture of the length of the 308 barrel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If the barrel has been cut down, that could be the reason for that off center bore. Lots of barrels bores aren't centered all the way to the end. And, it most often doesn't affect accuracy. I owned a 40xb Remington .22/250 that was shortened to 22 inches that was more off center than that and it would shoot .35. If it was shortened, be sure the crown is OK. Here is something on the subject worth a look. http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-61930.html
                          Last edited by softpoint; 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Information

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                            If the barrel has been cut down, that could be the reason for that off center bore. Lots of barrels bores aren't centered all the way to the end. And, it most often doesn't affect accuracy. I owned a 40xb Remington .22/250 that was shortened to 22 inches that was more off center than that and it would shoot .35. If it was shortened, be sure the crown is OK. Here is something on the subject worth a look. http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-61930.html
                            I see that information is from 2009. Thanks. I wonder if there is any more updated info. I as well as the gunsmith couldn't get it sighted in so I'm really hoping that TC Arms can help me out.

Comment

Sucks. But I don't see a reason to go shouting from the rooftop until you see what tc says. Not you op. It's possible it shoots fine and would present no issue unless you planned on threading but the non concentricity represents a qc issue regardless.

Comment

Working...
                              X