Stripped oil pan plug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped oil pan plug.

I usually change my own oil but didn’t the time before well of course I went to change my oil today and the plug is stripped..
    What can I do about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it to the parts house. They have a thing to replace it.................

Comment

I think they sell a self-tapping bolt for that. If I’m remembering correctly, some oil place in Austin had to use one on my truck after Walmart crosstgreaded it back on. But that was about 15 yrs ago.

Comment

Over sized plug or install a time sert

Comment

If you don’t have access to the Irwin socket sets for stripped oil plug, try using a pair of vice grips on it. You can also weld a hex nut to the top of it.

Comment

Change crush washer and use a torque wrench from now on

Comment

new drain plug, and a good pair of channel locks to get the old one out. Worked for me

Comment

Is it just the head that’s stripped or are you referring to the threads being stripped? I took it that you meant the head was rounded over

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  Take it to the parts house. They have a thing to replace it.................
                  A thingy, a doodad, a whatchamacallit will fix you up !

Comment

The pan threads are harder than the plug so the plug strips before.the pan., Auto parts will have a replacement plug.

Comment

most oil drain pugs are purposely made soft so that the bolt DOES strip before the pan threads which is a hardened insert,, just get a new plug you should be fine,,

Comment

Replace it with a femco type drain plug if you make the repair. Then you will never have a need to remove a drain plug. Plus it’s so much cleaner.

Comment

Depends on what the oil pan is made from, if its aluminum then you gonna have to re tap the pan and use a different size drain plug. There are several styles of repair kits available and one uses a steel insert to put in the aluminum pan, its a good un. If it is a steel pan then there is a small plate spot welded on the inside of the pan that is threaded. Be careful with the steel pans, when you try to re tap it the spot weld can let loose and you got a bigger mess. I have no idea why I know this

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            Replace it with a femco type drain plug if you make the repair. Then you will never have a need to remove a drain plug. Plus it’s so much cleaner.

That is fact.

Comment

I'm putting a Fumoto valve on my truck next time I change the oil for that reason alone

Comment

Working...
                              X