Need diesel advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need diesel advice

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a new used truck and I have found a pretty good deal on an 09 F250 with the 6.4l. 70k miles. I can run circles around gas trucks but I'm very limited on my knoledge of diesels. I have heard all points of the spectrum regarding this motor...Some love it...Some hate it. This one has no deletes done and only performance mods are a Banks cold air induction and a MBRP exhaust. DPF still in place. Truck ran and drove great but i dont want to buy trouble. ANY advice is appreciated. Thanks guys

I have a 08 Ford 6.4 deleted. Right at 200,000 miles and no problems yet. The only thing I've changed has been the alternator. Knock on wood.

Comment

I’d look at a stock 6.7 if you can, a 2 year+ newer model even if it had slightly more miles. May cost a little more but you’ll be glad after it’s all said and done I bet.

Comment

Had 08' I bought new and deleted about 3 years ago. Best truck I ever owned. Hope the new 17 I thave placed it with is as good

One thing that is a must is a delete. Seriously don't buy it if your not going to delete

Comment

I suggest a 6.7 or 6.0. Skip over the 6.4

When the 6.0 guys tell you to run from the 6.4, you better listen lol

Comment

When you say delete...are you talking D.P.F. or E.G.R or both? I know the E.G.R deletes are illegal now and most shops won't touch them

Comment

Both. Egr are going to fail... period. They are big $$$$$

It's always been illegal, every shop I know including dealers will delete them

Comment

A simple programmer will delete the egr on 6.4. Not like the 6.0 where they had to be capped off. They will still be there... just not functional

Comment

I had a 6.0 that was one of the miracles that ran great. I programmed it the day I bought it. 4 years of hard work trouble free.... but the 6.4 kicked its @$$ in every way possible. Interior as well as drive terrain. Love the 6.7 so far too

Comment

I’ve had four buddies with 6.4’s. One had no issues ever and the other three finally got tired of sinking money into them and sold them. Just buy a Duramax!!!Lol

Comment

Guys i can't thank you enough. Makes me feel a bit better about this. Truck is in excellent condition I just was not sure about the 6.4. Looks like I have some research to do. Any recommendations on what programmer I should look at for the delete?

Comment

Originally posted by SugarSWAT View Post
                        Guys i can't thank you enough. Makes me feel a bit better about this. Truck is in excellent condition I just was not sure about the 6.4. Looks like I have some research to do. Any recommendations on what programmer I should look at for the delete?
                        Do the efi live, it's what I'm going to do soon, good friend of mine has efi live with 5 tune knob and that truck is bad a. He loves it and has had no issues and runs like a champ! It's only my personal preference but I agree with the gentleman that commented to stay away from the 6.4. The 6.7 would definitely be the better choice, one thing to keep in consideration, the 6.4 didn't last long before they changed to the 6.7 and it has stuck for awhile now. Rumor has it, Ford might be bringing the 7.3 back!

Comment

We have an 08 at work with 255k, all stock. It's had a few minor problems but nothing motor related.

Comment

Look into the radiator issues with 6.4 before you pull the trigger. If you do, you might look into replacing the OEM radiator with a Mishimoto

Comment

I have an 08 6.4 with 130k of trouble free miles. I tuned and deleted it with Spartan tunes at 5k. I love my 6.4. With just a delete and tune you can put over 500 rwhp and 1000 lbft of torque which is hard to beat. With all that said try to run the carfax on it. For whatever reason some are snake bit and just have one issue after another but keep in mind that they sold hundreds of thousands of these trucks so for every one you hear the horror stories about there are 50 that have had no issues. One negative is that they do NOT get good MPG's. The best I ever got with stock wheels, tires and no leveling kit was 17 all highway and that was with the spartan 275 tune. Mine is a 4x4 extended cab.

Comment

Working...
                              X