Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sod

Morning green thumbers,

Since we moved to our home last year there has been areas in the yard where the grass struggled. The grass was in poor condition in those areas then and still is now despite lots of water and fertilizer.

Question: can I just cut that grass out and lay new sod? I read where I would need to put down some compost underneath and water it well but do you guys have any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert. I had a new house built. And the builds left trash under the 1" of topsoil they laid. Caused me and neighbors dead spots. Left over shingles, hardie boards. And by drive way and sidewalk lot of extra concrete. I landscape one area I could not get to grow after taking the trash out. Neighbor tried 3 time to cut out and take out soil, added new and resoded. No luck last I knew. You can try. I would but I wish you the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

How much sun light does the area that's struggling get and what kind of grass is it?

Comment

Originally posted by kembry View Post
        How much sun light does the area that's struggling get and what kind of grass is it?
        It's all San Augustine. There are different areas. Some get lots of sun and some are in the shade more than others.

Comment

Do you have a picture?

Comment

Been in lawn care 34 yrs (fertilizing). You could have contaminated soil from builder or painters cleaning equip. Could be a number of things. St. Augustine grass needs at least 8-10 hours of good sun light to do well. If it's heavy shade thin your trees first, then add some good compost or rose soil you can buy from living earth. Till It lightly a couple inches do not over water especially in shade. If it's yellowing at all you have a fungus problem, let it dry out. Call me if you would like me to answer questions 972-822-8378 Ron

Comment

Working...
            X