American Longbow/Flatbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Longbow/Flatbow

Anyone shoot this type of bow? Read a few things on the net..supposedly smooth and forgiving. I would add a shelf. Thinking of trying something different just for fun...I have only shot recurves

Thanks for any input

Flatbow plans

Check out the link above for an old set of plans to build the classic American Flatbow. I have wanted to try it again myself but haven't found a "round tuit" yet. I think it would be a fun project and would like to hunt game with a bow & arrows of my own crafting one day...but then again, my Foley shoots SOOOOO good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flatbowhandles.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	23873192

Another diagram of a 'flatbow' design...

Click image for larger version

Name:	flatbowplans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	23873191

Back when I was building the kid bows, I did attempt a couple of hunting weight 'board-bows' loosely based on these plans (with a slight shelf like you mentioned) but failed to reach completion with either of them...hurt like hell when they blew-up too!

I may try again this Spring?
    Last edited by tinman; 02-21-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Most of the selfbows are built along these designs. Very few folks use the classic English longbow design. The flatbow has infinite variations and you can use just about any type of wood to build one. You just adjust the dimensions according to the type of wood used. IMHO, the English longbow, built correctly, takes a high level of skill (which i don't possess!LOL) and the flatbow can be successfully built by most folks. I love 'em!!

Comment

Another flatbow link...

Comment

board bows with lumber from home depot are built to american flatbow design. easy to build using only a hatchet to rough out, then a rasp, then a scraper (I use a k-bar knife). I have built quite a few like this using red oak or maple, all are hunting weight bows that shoot well. dont be afraid to break a few, a 6'x1.5"x3/4" board only cost about $5. Make sure ring lines are straight from end to end, you may have to look through 50 boards to find one suitable. I dont know if im allowed to mention other sites on here but tradgang.com has a great build along of this bow in their how-to section.

Comment

Working...
          X