Nebraska or Kentucky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebraska or Kentucky?

Been trying to decide where to go on an out of state hunt. Probably 4 or 5 guys. Would love to hunt Kansas but it seems between the draw system and higher prices for non residents Nebraska or Kentucky might be better options? Never hunted outside of Texas. Which state would you suggest? Looking for good deer,not a meat hunt. Doesn't have to be 180" but not interested in going that far to shoot a couple of 120" deer either. Any advice would be great.

Kentucky is such a sleeper State ... they got monsters

Comment

I'm not familiar with Kentucky but in Nebraska you have both muleys and whitetail. Many parts of the state have both. I've pheasant hunted quite a few times around McCook in the SW part of the state and we always see lots of mule deer in the draws between the crop fields and on CRP land. They also kill some monster whitetails in the bottoms along the Republican River which runs through there. I've heard the hunting along the Platte and Missouri rivers is excellent as well.

Comment

Nebraska for the scenery/adventure/diversity of game, Kentucky for the higher scoring whitetails and Deliverance factor.

Comment

Kentucky a thousand times over.

Comment

So far 3-1 Kentucky. Anyone hunt Kentucky public land?

Comment

Originally posted by gmj View Post
              So far 3-1 Kentucky. Anyone hunt Kentucky public land?
              http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-10...tail-u-s-pics/

Comment

Nebraska big time. Can't beat those big Nebraska deer
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm going Nebraska . More because the for the most parts the ranches or farms are much larger tracts. My brother just back from a outfitted guided hunt with Whitetail Heavens outfitters in Kentucky and they claim they lease 50,000 acres in Ohio / Kentucky ( which is probably false) . What they don't tell you is that none of it is continuous but small acreage and put 3-5 hunters on 150 acres. And run 100 hunters through per week. Like most other outfitters according to friends of mine up there. Once that big Record buck was killed , Kentucky isn't a sleeper anymore. Kentucky will be shot out soon
                  Last edited by BrandonA; 12-06-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Bluegrass State...

This buck was shot a few weeks ago...KY has a very short rifle season which allows the deer to get big...

I am going to hunt up there again next year. However, the out of state license and tag is about $400 FYI...
                    Attached Files

Comment

After hunting in Ks for 14 years, it's not what it's cut out to be anymore. Deer quality has gone down.
                      That said, do your research. Kentucky has been spittin out some monsters just in the past 3 years. In fact, I've even been thinking about going from Ks to Ky.

Comment

Kansas is over rated. Have some buddies that hunt up there and bring home tag soup more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Kansas is over rated. Have some buddies that hunt up there and bring home tag soup more often than not.
                          Probably so now overall. There still areas that are great if your hunting on large tracts. Outfitters killed it. Overbooking hunters week after week. Hunting shows have ruined more areas than anything.

Comment

Nebraska, less people, more contiguous land in ranches and other areas.

Comment

for about 3 or 4 years running kentucky produced the highest rate of b&c deer per square mile in the country. just make sure the land is very private, ie no public land abutting you.

Comment

Working...
                              X