Anchoring deer feeder legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchoring deer feeder legs?

I'm a newb when it comes to setting up a feeder, going to set one up tomorrow, how exactly should I anchor my legs, just buy the feet from Academy for 13 bucks and some rebar and stick it in the ground, or can I use t-posts? What has worked well for everyone in the past?

However you do it, make sure that they don't pose a fall and impale hazard.

Comment

I've used T-Posts cut in 1/2 and/or rebar with some good wire wrapping them to the legs. Make sure that the bottom of your feeder legs have a piece of metal (maybe 1' square) or concrete blocks to sit on, otherwise they'll sink into the ground.

Comment

T posts work great driven at the same angle as the feeder legs, so you can't fall on them.

Comment

We use the tpost. We drive them in at the same angle to match the legs and then fasten them to the legs. It will keep the cows from tearing them up and knocking them down but it will not stop a thief from stealing your feeder.

Comment

rebar, about 18" long driven down at the same angle as the legs
            (with about 6 to 8" left out of the ground), Holes drilled through the legs (about 4" from the bottom of the legs) , wire the legs to the rebar well. has worked for me very well.

Comment

T-post driven at the same angle of the legs with two u-bolts on each leg, will not have any feeder problems if done this way.

Comment

good post as i am going to be setting up my feeder soon.

Comment

3' tposts driven in at an angle and tied to the legs with wire. I use crank up feeders so no fall hazard.

Comment

we cut a 6' tpost in thirds and drive in at the base of the legs. Then we'll tie it in with bailing wire. Keep you from running into them and lessens the chance of getting skewered if you fall off a ladder.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I use rebar drivin in at the same angle as the legs, but I use much longer rebar than most. If the ground is soft there could be as much as two or three feet driven into the ground with a couple feet of rebar above ground.

Each leg is then secured to the rebar with 3 heater hose clamps per leg evenly spaced. Take a cordless drill or screwgun with appropriate socket and it is fast. The feeder can later be easily removed with the screw gun for maintenance or if taking down after season.

The clamps will hold it tight and not allow the legs to slip up and down the rebar. A hog can dig a deep hole under a feeder leg or legs and and the feeder will just stay suspended and the leg can not fall deeper into the ground, nor can the feeder fall over or be pushed over.
                      Last edited by Sniper John; 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Comment

Thanks all...I appreciate it.

Comment

TPosts work great...

Comment

Better use T posts for sure. If you have a big hog population, they can even knock feeders down secured by T posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X