Vertical forge build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical forge build

I just poured the castable on a vertical forge. Used plibrico brand, 2400 degree rated. They have a 2700° I would’ve gotten if I had known about it. Internal diameter of the chamber is going to be about 7 inches, height about eight or 10 inches. Rectangular door openings on each side, so I can pass through a long piece if I need to. Burner opening at the bottom. I cast the lid as a separate flat piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any recommendations for a smaller one or two burner gas unit for small stuff?

Comment

They're not too hard to build. Or, look at the Atlas Forge for a good small unit. Hightemptools.com for supplies, or Wayne Coe.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
          They're not too hard to build. Or, look at the Atlas Forge for a good small unit. Hightemptools.com for supplies, or Wayne Coe.
          X2 on Hightemptools. Best price and fastest shipping that I found anywhere.

Comment

Very nice. What concrete did you use?

Comment

Nice. I was just thinking I need a new forge. I may be looking at a vertical forge this time but I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
                Very nice. What concrete did you use?
                I used this stuff called Plibrico Pli-cast LWI 24. They make a 28 that would be better. Another common one is Kast-o-lite 30. These are high silica, high alumina refractory cements.

Comment

Got the molds out and then poured the bottom. Likely let it cure a few more days, then do a few lower temp test fires before starting the real work.

Comment

Nice

That hammer maker Jim Poor over in your area?

Comment

Jim moved to Abilene from Midland/Odessa right about the time I moved to Lubbock. Met him a few times, but we haven't been able to hang out much.

Comment

What’s the advantage of the vertical forge ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

typically heats more evenly, for Damascus welding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                            Jim moved to Abilene from Midland/Odessa right about the time I moved to Lubbock. Met him a few times, but we haven't been able to hang out much.
                            Ah ok I thought you were still in Abilene area.

Comment

Ran some lower heat firings to finish the cure then switched to the bigger burner and ran it up to welding heat. Stuck two billets with no trouble. Welding heat looks like dull red in bright sunlight, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X