Devils River SNA Exotic hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devils River SNA Exotic hunt

Well, somehow my luck held up and I drew another TPWD hunt this year (last year got Elephant Mountain Archery Mule Deer): Devils River SNA Exotic Hunt at the end of January. Starting this thread for open discussion of the hunt for anyone who has done it or is interested, as well as a place to start a hunt report when the time comes.

This is a rifle hunt and I can take unlimited exotic mammals. From what I gather, there is a healthy heard of Auodad and Corsican goats, and possibly some axis and blackbuck in small numbers. This is a pretty high success rate hunt (71% last year) so I am hoping it will be a good one. If nothing else, I am looking forward to the rugged/remote country and the possibility of connecting on an animal that I otherwise would not get the chance to hunt (I'm not much for the fenced day-hunt). Wish me luck!

Good luck bro. Sounds like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats and goodluck, I put in for that hunt too. Need to go check and see if I got lucky

Comment

Got drawn 2 years ago. Killed 4 aoudad and 2 Corsican. Hunted before daylight to after dark , stayed deep in the hills and was successful.

Comment

One of the guys I work with went last year and killed several auodad. Certain compartments had axis and others didn't. The one thing he talked about was the need to shoot a long ways. (300+ routinely)

Comment

I went a few years back on a archery hunt. I missed a auodad at 21 yds. Clipped a catus that was between us. Then, while playing cat and mouse with that group trying to get in front of them, I got on top of another type goat/sheep and killed it. The guys running the hunt couldn't tell me what it was. Nanny with no horns. They finally said probably a cross. Some beautiful country and rough. Lots of walking and glassing.
            Be sure to book a bed at the bunkhouse. Take everything in you will need. Takes about and hour and half just to get to town.

Comment

I grew up near that area and I sure miss the country side.

Comment

My son drew this hunt this past January. I forget which compartment we drew but it was east of the HQ where the cell tower is. You go up a real steep hill to get there. Saw some monster white tail and a **** pot load of aoudad.

My son killed two ewes. Shot a couple more we couldn't find. They are tough critters so take enough gun. 243 was a little light on them. We never saw any aoudad rams. We had 2-3 herds of aoudad in our comparment. We got into them a couple times each day. We saw a few from the roads but it took getting out in the brush a half mile or so to get into the aoudad good. We did see some axis but they are real close to the game wardens house which was a no hunting area.

It's not an extremely tough hunt but its rough country. Would be tough on folks who have trouble walking or climbing hills. Good boots are a must. The rocks are slick, and slide under your feet. There is a 99% chance you will fall down, and its a long ways to a hospital. I took a good fall and luckily it just hurt my feelings. So take you a good walking stick or a shooting stick that doubles up as a walking stick. It sure made a difference keeping your footing.

We would walk out low draws along the road in our compartment. Then would find them laying on the north face of the hills. We wanted to get within 100 yards or so. Closest we ever got was about 110 and he took shots out to 250. Its one of those places you can shoot just about as far as you are capable.

Shared a camp with Beetleguy and his daughter. Very fine folks, she killed some monster aoudad rams. Ill find some pics to post.

Comment

My son killed the top one right at 250 while hiding out in a draw below.

He wanted to pack it out on his own and did. Was about 2 miles off the road.

His 2nd ewe

Park ranger told me and my son not to
                  Shoot any whitetails. He did tell anyone else but us. Didn't take long to figure out why.

Shared the bunk house with some great folks.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I've already reserved a bed in the bunkhouse. Planning on taking my 30.06, and I've shot deer out to 300 with it, so should be good on that front.

Randy, great pics and write-up. I can't wait till my kids are mature enough to start putting in for some of the youth hunts. Did y'all keep the meat on those ewes? If so, how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just applied for that whitetail hunt because of those pics. Holy smokes.
                      Originally posted by Randy View Post

My son killed the top one right at 250 while hiding out in a draw below.

He wanted to pack it out on his own and did. Was about 2 miles off the road.

His 2nd ewe

Park ranger told me and my son not to
                      Shoot any whitetails. He did tell anyone else but us. Didn't take long to figure out why.

Shared the bunk house with some great folks.

Comment

Hunted DR on a youth hunt with daughter. It was great. Saw lots of nice deer but she couldn't get on any in time. It's one of the assigned compartment hunts. I enjoyed mostly because you're shown your hunt area and left alone to hunt how you wish.

Comment

Beautiful looking country, congrats on a great hunt. I would love to be able to deer and aoudad hunt it someday. Can't get enough canyon hunting! My hunting partners were down just north of there in Feb for an aoudad hunt. Fantastic sheep hunt in big country.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Just applied for that whitetail hunt because of those pics. Holy smokes.
                            No joke. I'm glad I did!!!!

Comment

PM me any questions you might have, we did the hunt two years ago and were successful. Tough hunt for sure, but hands down the most fun I've ever had hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X