Alligator hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator hunt

I just recieved my notice today...I got drawn for the JD Murfree salt bayou unit...Any one ever hunt there?

Good Luck to you!!!

Comment

That oughta be fun, my buddy always wants me to put in for the gator hunts but I refuse, if we ever got drawn I doubt he would go anyways.

Comment

I got drawn also. For the Murphree big hill unit 28-29. Never been gator huntin before, any of yall ever been. Any ideas what to take, and what will take place, and how it is done. Can I use bow?

Comment

I hear you need at least a flat bottom boat, an air boat is ideal.

Comment

I'm gonna have to rent one....I don't own one and having just retired from the Army, I don't know to many people around here with boats.

Comment

Mossman, post your question in The Campfire forum. We have some members that have been before. Stories were in the hunting reports before the 06' crash.

Comment

Never heard of being able to rent a boat, I used to used to have an old G3 that would have been perfect before I got rid of it this spring and got a skeeter bass boat.

Comment

Hey mossman, what days are your hunts. I'm goin 28th and 29th, maybe we can hook up down there and share some strategies. I talked to tpwd today, got some real good info. Call the number on the notice, the people are real knowledgeable about the hunt.

Comment

My dates are the 11-12 Sept....I talked to them today and told them I was a disabled vet and would need some help. They said that they be able to hook me up with someone there or they would help me out.....and gave me a place that may have a boat to rent.

Comment

That's awesome, you can always count on tpwd. let me know how you do on the hunt. That's the first year for that unit aint it?

Comment

I have been drawn several times for the Salt Bayou hunt. I have not been in the last five years or so. Most of that unit is accesible by any shallow draft boat, flat bottom or air boat would be ideal. Lots of gators. be sure and keep your bait high enough out of the water or the small gators will get it. they can come out of the water about 3/4's of their body. We always use either beef lungs or chickens for bait. That is if this is not the bowhunt. TPWD will furnish the poles for your set. They have a very informative class before you go out to set your lines. We would use a 20 gauge slug to kill the gator. Once hooked we pull them up to the surface easily shoot them and let the line go. Give them about 10-15 minutes and pull them back up. Have fun.

Comment

I am gonna put in for this draw next year it sounds fun. I want to shoot a gater with a bow.

Comment

I can't wait....I reserved a boat today...it's 18ft, a little big, but a least I have one...I'm going to borrow a canoe also....they said that helps sometimes.

Comment

I recently drew out for a gator hunt at J.D. Murphree (Sept 18-19). Anyone have an idea if that will happen after all this rain from Harvey? I am worried all the gators will be misplaced, but I have never done a hunt like this so I am not really sure.

If it is going to happen, does anyone know a place I could rent a boat in Port Arthur?

Comment

Working...
                              X