Playing studio at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing studio at home

My wife is a trooper letting me practice the one light set up with her as my subject. Set it up and had her take one of me too. Tell me what you think guys. I'm playing different lighting scenarios to see what works best with my flash heads and umbrellas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5097317 (Custom).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24761352

Name:	P5097315 (Custom).JPG
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24761353

Name:	LightingSetup may sgl.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	24761354

Name:	P5107328 (Custom).JPG
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24761355

Those are really nice Bill.......I hate to be the one to tell you this........but she's alot prettier than you.

Comment

Nice work Mr. Bill!

Comment

They are all great!

In MY UNTRAINED UNPROFESSIONAL OPINION I think the second one of your wife looks a bit washed out from the flashes. I really like the skin tone colors on the first one of her but almost to much shadow on the right side (her left) Same thing on your forth picture, just a tad bit to much shadow on that side of the face. Also I love the gray back drop with her but sorry old man your distinguishing gray hair gets lost in that background, maybe a brown or dark blue maybe? And I can't see the third picture.

Comment

Bill, you definately are on to something!

I'm impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by BOHTR View Post
            Those are really nice Bill.......I hate to be the one to tell you this........but she's alot prettier than you.
            Well that goes without saying!

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
            Nice work Mr. Bill!
            Thanks Mr. Bill!

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
            They are all great!

In MY UNTRAINED UNPROFESSIONAL OPINION I think the second one of your wife looks a bit washed out from the flashes. I really like the skin tone colors on the first one of her but almost to much shadow on the right side (her left) Same thing on your forth picture, just a tad bit to much shadow on that side of the face. Also I love the gray back drop with her but sorry old man your distinguishing gray hair gets lost in that background, maybe a brown or dark blue maybe? And I can't see the third picture.
            The difference in f5.6 and f8. f8's the winner!

Originally posted by Videographer View Post
            Bill, you definately are on to something!

I'm impressed.
            Thanks Coach.

Comment

Can't look at your lovely wife without seeing the swinging dude and the babe with the hot rollers... love that.

Only thing constructive I have is I think a solid background would be better. Otherwise, I need to follow your lead.

Comment

Wow, that's amazing! And money well spent. Over the years, you and your family will save a small fortune vs paying someone else to do the same thing. Very impressive work!

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                  Can't look at your lovely wife without seeing the swinging dude and the babe with the hot rollers... love that.

Only thing constructive I have is I think a solid background would be better. Otherwise, I need to follow your lead.
                  Thanks Steven.

Thanks David.

Comment

I like the patterned background. Gives depth. I would watch shadows. A bottom/top slave......

Comment

Danny you are looking at my Bigma (gone to California) at work. I think I traded up. Thanks.

Comment

What kind of lighting equipment is that? Got any pics? (of the setup and equipment.) I am clueless of how this is done. Is the light on all the time or is it syncronized with your flash?

Comment

David the lights are Vivitar 285HV flash heads. They have been re-introduced and there is no reference to digital in the manual. Light stands, umbrellas. etc.

I'll get a picture or two for you.

Comment

My opinion.

1st shot, too much shoulder, its closer to camera so it's larger in the photo than in real life, would be fine but not with sleeveless top. Different top and it would have been perfect. Or zoom in.

2nd shot, nearly perfect, just a little too much contrast on the face (washed out a little).

Last shot, just don't show any teeth! I hate it when someone takes my pic and my mouth is open, I think it makes me look older than I am (or perhaps as old as I am), like I can't breath through my nose any more cause I'm so old. I tell my wife to remind me any time I'm driving and my mouth is hanging open.

Great job, nice subjects, I like the backdrop colors, framing, etc. All better than I could have done.

Comment

Thanks for your comments DH.

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                              What kind of lighting equipment is that? Got any pics? (of the setup and equipment.) I am clueless of how this is done. Is the light on all the time or is it syncronized with your flash?
                              David here are some pics as promised. Gerald Sherrill put onto a book called "Minimalist Lighting" and it aimed me in the direction I wanted to go.

As mentioned above, I bought two Vivitar 285 HV flash heads and there is nothing digitial about these. I already had a Oly FL-50 which hasn't been thrown into the mix yet. I bought a set of triggers (one transmitter, 3 receivers) off of ebay. The little box below the flash in the photos are the receivers. The transmitter goes in the hot shoe of the camera. I have 5 different light stands, one being a short background stand. Backdrop support stands. Four backdrops at this point. Tow 32" umbrellas that came as a kit with two of the light stands and two 45" umbrellas. The umbrellas I got are all white with removable black back so they can be used to reflect or shoot through. Various other accessories also.

I have been practicing getting consistent shots using one light so far. Once I get that I'll practice something else. Probably incorporating a "hair light". The great thing about these heads is you can take them anywhere. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Name:	P5178259 (Custom).JPG
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	23885582

Name:	P5178260 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	23885583

Name:	P5178261 (Medium).JPG