TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Traditional (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your 2017 Trad Goals (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628006)

SwampRabbit 01-03-2017 05:59 PM

Your 2017 Trad Goals

Curious what my fellow trad bow hunters have as goals for this year. I know not everybody sets goals... maybe call them expectations if that works out better for ya ;)

Personally, reflecting on last year, I can think of a couple of things I'd like to accomplish this year.

1) I'd like to get a hog with my Widow. I've killed a hog with a trad bow, but it was with my Samick. I've killed all my other "list" animals with my Widow, so I'd like to finally get a hog down with it. I came close this past WT season.

2) I'd like to get back into better physical shape so that hunting an Elk or an Aoudad can be a better reality.

3) I'd like to be able to kill 2 deer in WT season.

Other than that, I'll just roll with whatever opportunities may or may not be available to go hunting. I traded the annual trip to South Texas for Javis/Rabbits for the Trad Hog Hunt. Trying to stack my odds on getting a hog with the Widow and just generally try something different (I will miss very much chasing all them rabbits though...)

DRT 01-03-2017 06:09 PM

1) I'd like to get some animals in the bed of my truck or basket of my cart with a traditional bow or two.

2) I'd like to extend my confident shooting range to double what it is now. Currently that's 15 yards.

3) I'd like to increase my draw weight capability to 50lbs at my draw length.

4) I'd like to purchase a 50lbs at my draw length BW PSR and shoot it well.

5) Last but not least I would like to link up with some local traditional shooters, get back into a local club and learn how bad I am at this new obsession.

Gary

Phillip Fields 01-03-2017 06:10 PM

1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.

I really want for my wife and I to get back to South Texas to chase Javis, but I don't see that happening in 2017.

Hunter Todd 01-03-2017 06:14 PM

I am going to shoot my recurve more. I've only shot my longbow for the last year, since that is what i was taking to the woods. It's time to break the recurve out at the TBH Trad Hog Hunt!! Fitting, since thats where I bought it from Chris Hackworth.

Hunter Todd 01-03-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Fields (Post 12072724)
1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.

I really want for my wife and I to get back to South Texas to chase Javis, but I don't see that happening in 2017.

That wont be too long Phillip!!

ghostgoblin22 01-03-2017 06:20 PM

my goal is to have more hunting time, past two years during hunting season ive changed jobs so its screwed up my plans lol, I'm making more money so I was ok with not hunting as much, but this year my goal is to have two weeks off, one week off in late October and one week off in mid-November

and I'm MY ultimate goal is 2 whitetail deer....one for sure with the stickbow, I'm not scared to pull out the Remington for the other

Geezy Rider 01-03-2017 06:55 PM

My goal is to get good enough to take an animal with my selfbow.

Bisch 01-03-2017 07:23 PM

My #1 goal for 2017 is to get back on a good deer lease!

Bisch

boleman154 01-03-2017 07:23 PM

To take a pig in the next few months with my bow. Then to get a WT in the fall. Hoping to go on a mule deer hunt in NM in Jan next year. Need to increase my range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRM_95 01-03-2017 07:27 PM

I really want to kill a deer with my recurve. I'm gonna try my best to not get tunnel vision on trying to kill a good buck, and just try to kill a legal deer with my recurve. I think not running trail cams will help with this. I also want to shoot a little further, so I'll practice a lot more at 20-25 over the summer. I'll still try to keep my shots from 12-15, but I'd like to feel comfortable at 20. And when my new bow gets here I want to spend a little more time tuning and get it as close to perfect as I can.

I'm also going to space out my vacation. I normally take 3 weeks off to hunt, and this year I took it all in October. Things started slow, and when rifle season opened I just grabbed a gun and zipped through my tags on my days off. Next year I plan to take a week in October, a week in November, and a week in December.

jerp 01-03-2017 07:30 PM

Stretch my range. I am very comfortable at 15 yards, mostly because 80% of my practice is at that distance or closer. There are days when I can stack them at 20 yards, but that comes and goes. I need to start shooting more arrows from 20+ so I know what that distance feels like and it becomes automatic.

Randy Madden 01-03-2017 08:19 PM

1. Shoot a bunch of dang pigs this spring to make up for the SLOW deer season I just had!
2. Draw my Alaska caribou tag
3. Draw my Wyoming elk tag
4. kill my Alaska caribou
5. Kill my Wyoming elk

Junkers88 01-03-2017 08:25 PM

1) I want to increase my comfortable range out to 25 yards.

2) I want to take a deer and a hog with my current bow.

3) I want to own a 1968 Super Kodiak in 65lbs and be able to shoot well with it (this one is more of a dream than a goal).

4) I want to meet some more of you in person and learn all I can about this crazy addiction.

5) (this one is REALLY a dream) I've located a 1000 acre tract 20 minutes from the house that's for sale and has been for the last 15 years. I want to own it and host hunts for the trad folks here.

Richard.

CRM_95 01-03-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkers88 (Post 12073179)
1) I want to increase my comfortable range out to 25 yards.

2) I want to take a deer and a hog with my current bow.

3) I want to own a 1968 Super Kodiak in 65lbs and be able to shoot well with it (this one is more of a dream than a goal).

4) I want to meet some more of you in person and learn all I can about this crazy addiction.

5) (this one is REALLY a dream) I've located a 1000 acre tract 20 minutes from the house that's for sale and has been for the last 15 years. I want to own it and host hunts for the trad folks here.

Richard.

If it's been for sale for 15 years, you should hit them up to see if they'd lease the hunting rights until it sells. Chances are if it hasn't sold by now it may be a while.

R.Armendariz 01-03-2017 08:39 PM

My goal is use my lease more than I am currently using right now so I can get my money worth. I also want that elusive hog everyone on the lease has seen and been unable shoot since last season.
Take an elk this season in Montana
Continue to Have a good time at the tbot shoots

J_Foster 01-03-2017 09:11 PM

Your 2017 Trad Goals

First and foremost, I'd like to be a better father/husband. There's always room for improvement there. Just ask my wife, [emoji23].

Archery-wise,

- I'd love to shoot a few pigs, an Axis, and/or a Turkey before deer season.

- I'd like to put more time in shooting each week, focusing on quilts vs quantity.

- Lastly, I'd really like to try my hand at building a few "Hill Style" longbows. I dream about being able to make some nice bows to give to all my friends, getting them as fired up about this whole Trad thing as I have been over the past 6-8 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brute Killer 01-03-2017 09:18 PM

To start bow hunting again.

Shiloh 01-03-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisch (Post 12072952)
My #1 goal for 2017 is to get back on a good deer lease!

Bisch

We may have a spot on my lease (I'll know more after January 31st when the first payment comes due). A father / son couple might not renew.

Its NOT a trophy whitetail lease (130" is a good deer on out place). But, we have Nice axis bucks on the place. Since its year -round, hunting season never ends for us. You can go anytime and shoot axis doe, bucks, sika bucks or doe, and hogs. The whitetail season is just gravy to us.

Great lease manager and very nice landowner.

DRT 01-03-2017 10:06 PM

Dang that's what we all dream of. Where is it at?

Gary

Shiloh 01-03-2017 10:11 PM

7 miles West of Roosevelt North side of I-10. The North Llano fronts the property

Ghillie up 01-03-2017 10:20 PM

My goals are as followed..

1. Find a lease and get back involved in the bs and fun at camp with friends.. (been hunting nothing but public land)

2. Get any critter with my homemade bamboo and flint with turkey feathers from last spring.

3. Just have faith and shoot as much trade as I can and extend my range of comfortable yardage.

4. Meet a pile of new trad friends..

Shiloh 01-03-2017 10:24 PM

My answer to the 2017 goals:
1) Kill a nice Axis buck this year with a trad bow
2) Hunt hogs via spot and stalk with my trad bow
3)Work perfecting my release at home in the backyard.
4) get even better at shooting of course!

Dkincaid 01-03-2017 11:01 PM

Just have a good time shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Possum Fat 01-03-2017 11:20 PM

Just to get out and hunt more..

I just booked a full week at the Lincoln ranch so hopefully I can put something down in that time.

ghostgoblin22 01-04-2017 10:44 AM

oh and my plan is to get back in 3D trad. shoots, 6 years ago I did a lot of Indoor spots with Olympic competition rigs and it was super fun and it ultimately led me to bowhunting and hunting in general, I plan on attending at least two

killerbee 01-04-2017 10:52 AM

Kill a mature whitetail buck with trad equipment. Been to long!

MEsquivel 01-04-2017 11:05 AM

I would like to get a hog...its been awhile since the last one I shot.

ballgame 01-04-2017 11:58 AM

1. shoot a mature whitetail buck at our place.
2. shoot my bow better and perform better than last year at 3D Shoots (Hill Country Shootout and Chester Specifically)
3. Improve the habitat at our place in the hill country so that more shot opportunities at animals I want to shoot happen. (I freaking hate pigs!)
4. Scout more and learn more

SwampRabbit 01-04-2017 02:01 PM

I am also wanting to learn to weld so I can do some projects out at the lease I have in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RickBarbee 01-04-2017 02:49 PM

My only goal is - Shoot my bow, and bow hunt as much as possible.

Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Rick

DRT 01-04-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRabbit (Post 12075769)
I am also wanting to learn to weld so I can do some projects out at the lease I have in my mind.

A very handy skill. I would suggest basic electric and plumbing skills as well. I was blessed to learn these in my career with the city and they are indispensable for the lease or ranch.

Gary

SwampRabbit 01-04-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRT (Post 12076035)
A very handy skill. I would suggest basic electric and plumbing skills as well. I was blessed to learn these in my career with the city and they are indispensable for the lease or ranch.

Gary

Yeah, I can do both of those. Can do carpentry as well. Heck, I could design and build a feeder timer too (including PCB design, firmware programmimg, and soldering)... Just never learned to weld ;)

Featherflinger 01-04-2017 03:32 PM

Consistency and confidence is my goal. The last 2 years I have struggled with periods of TP and snap shooting. I've worked a lot on my mechanics and hope to improve. Other than that I just want to kill as much of whatever I can!

Jmh05 01-04-2017 03:44 PM

To take an antlered WT buck with my recurve.

To take a feral big horned goat with my recurve at our ranch.

To take a hog with my recurve.

To get some trad guys together for a hunt.

ballgame 01-04-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Scott, I highly suggest you do it!!

It is so easy, especially if you go with a MIG.

One of the best things Ive learned to do.

PineyWoodsBow 01-04-2017 06:13 PM

1. Take a WT deer with my recurve
2. Make more of the TBOT shoots
3. Making plans to attend the IBO Worlds in Tennessee

spidermonkey 01-04-2017 11:15 PM

I guess I am kinda tunnel visioned at the moment...
1. Get healed up from this rotator cuff surgery so I can shoot... Period! :D
2. Start my fabrication side business back up to help fund all this fun!!
3. Found a new piece of "hidden in plain sight" woods, anxious to get it figured out, starting this weekend...
Being one-armed ain't helpin much! :mad: Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

splitfinger 01-05-2017 09:58 AM

#1 See a deer on my property during hunting season within 15 yds.
#2 Kill said deer on my property during hunting season.
#3 Repeat of items #1 and #2.

Carry on.

Doug Key

Brute Killer 01-05-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Get you a good little Lincoln wire feed.

Buff 01-05-2017 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kill a Bush Pig in February before Shiloh beats me to it :D
Attachment 833870

tradslam 02-08-2017 04:33 PM

I'm still working on not picking up my wheels when I get a hard to draw tag or locate a big critter! Anyone want to go to the diamond C at the end of June to keep me strong !!

DRT 02-08-2017 05:07 PM

Diamond C is a target rich environment.

Gary

Davidrubio 02-08-2017 06:49 PM

keep my 2016 goal to put my target panic under control. I'm 50%

MedicineMan7 02-09-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buff (Post 12079581)
Kill a Bush Pig in February before Shiloh beats me to it :D
Attachment 833870

Haha! Well, I truly hope you do beat me to it my friend! I don't know if I'll have a chance to chase them or not on my trip next year, but hope I do get another chance.

My goals for this year:

1) Get back to shooting my bow more often!
2) Build up my shooting muscles and work my way into 65lb, then 75lb limbs and be able to shoot and handle them comfortably
3) Get rid of the target panic monkey that keeps jumping on an off my back!!
4) Put a check next to one of my bucket list hunts this fall (mountain lion)
5) Enjoy my outings in the woods more and not put as much pressure on myself.

6) Introduce new folks to the trad bowhunting world!!

gettin closer 02-09-2017 06:13 PM

This is awesome! I see a lot of common goals and some very unique ones too!

1) I too would like to be more constant with my current bow at 15 yards and work out to 25yards.
2) work my way up from a 54# bow to the 60# bow I have collecting dust. (This should also lead to easier shots with the 54# bow as a biproduct)
3) meet some of you here in the Conroe area to shoot and not leave town so much on the weekends.

DRT 02-09-2017 06:38 PM

Yeah many of us will be fortunate to kill a feral pig. Bush pig ain't on the menu.

Gary

bassmatt72 02-09-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezy Rider (Post 12072858)
My goal is to get good enough to take an animal with my selfbow.

This, but mine is a fiberglass composite recurve.

60 Deluxe 02-09-2017 09:54 PM

Mine is to learn how to shoot again. Somehow, amongst a flurry of new bows, a longbow, and too many bows to shoot, I have lost my ability to pick up a bow and be anywhere close to accurate for the first thirty shots. My eyes and brain are just not connecting for awhile, then it is like a connection is made and I can put the arrows where I want to put them. It is back to the basics for me, then maybe I'll think about killing something to eat.

Selfbowman 02-09-2017 10:51 PM

Shoot a 500 gr. arrow 220 yds with a 50# selfbow. Arvin

Bisch 02-10-2017 04:42 PM

My current goal is to get some blood on this brand new longbow this weekend!!!!

Bisch