Muzzle loaders....tell us all you know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle loaders....tell us all you know

I've never shot one. Never owned one. Nothing. I want to put in for some rut hunts with one out west and use it here to get the extra days haha. I want one that's pretty accurate and can shoot as close to a normal rifle as possible. I'd say budget is $1000 or less. Must have open sights for those stupid states that won't let you use a scope lol

I've only hunted muzzle in Colo and followed their regulations. No scopes, no compressed powder, ect.

50 cal, 300 gr lead, and a lot of practice. It's as much fun as archery!

Comment

You can,t go wrong with a t/c .50 caliber.
      Buckhorn 209 powder and Barnes bullets

Comment

I'm more of a traditionalist and shoot a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain with the maple stock. Absolutely beautiful gun. At 80 grains of pyrodex behind a 230 gr. Power Belt, she shoots within 4" at 100, which is good enough for me.
        Davide Pedersoli sells and produces reproductions of Muzzle Loading Rifles such as Rocky Mountain Hawken "maple" Rifle of the product line Hawken

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          You can,t go wrong with a t/c .50 caliber.
          Buckhorn 209 powder and Barnes bullets
          This.

I have a TC 50 cal and it shoots the Barnes sabot bullets as good as any rifle at 100 yards. I have confidence in it to 200 yards. I shot a nice New Mexico bull elk with mine. The barrel has open sights and you can mount a scope if desired. You have the added benefit of swapping barrels for other center fire rifle calibers. Definitely go with the Blackhorn 209 powder and do not mess around with other powders.

Comment

My only experience has been the past two years hunting in Colorado. So we have different rules than you. No scope, loose powder and no sabots. I really wish we could shoot sabots. I'm ok with everything else.
            I had a TC encore PH frame so I bought a barrel, put on a peep sight and have had a hard time finding a projectile to shoot good. I tried TC hunting bullets, hornady Great Plains (worst by far), Parker bullets and Powerbelts.
            Was resistant to the powerbelts for a long time. Turns out they shooting the best out of my gun. Last shooting session before season yielded 2" groups at 100yds. I'm shooting their 285gr I believe.
            It took me a lot of frustration to get the gun sighted. But now it's good. I shoot pyro Rs.

Comment

I've killed a truckload of deer with my .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I use a .530 round ball patched with .015 pillow ticking, lubed with Thompson Bore Butter, in front of 110 grains of FFg black powder.

Comment

I bought a cheap TC package deal, just to extend my deer season. It shoots alright for what it cost (around 300). It's a modern inline muzzle loader, with a 3-9x40 scope. It also has iron sights. I run hogdon tripple7 loose powder, T/C shockwave sabots, and Remington kleanbore primers. I haven't been past 100 yds, but it will shoot around 2 inch groups at that distance. The .50 cal is a freaking hammer though. Hits like a 12 gauge slug, big holes. Also the big cloud of smoke when you shoot is pretty cool, and I think it smells good.

2 things I've learned...

1) Keep it clean, it doesn't take long for black powder to foul up everything. Flash holes close up really quickly. You pretty much have to clean them after every shot when hunting, maybe every 2-3 shots at the range.

2) Don't leave it loaded with powder charge and projectile. Even just overnight in A/C, the humidity can get to the powder and ruins it. It's a huge mess that sucks to clean up. Once you load it, just shoot it. Find a cactus to shoot on the way back to camp or something.

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
                  2 things I've learned...

1) Keep it clean, it doesn't take long for black powder to foul up everything. Flash holes close up really quickly. You pretty much have to clean them after every shot when hunting, maybe every 2-3 shots at the range.

2) Don't leave it loaded with powder charge and projectile. Even just overnight in A/C, the humidity can get to the powder and ruins it. It's a huge mess that sucks to clean up. Once you load it, just shoot it. Find a cactus to shoot on the way back to camp or something.
                  2 good lessons for sure!

Comment

A couple of things -

Get a break-open action and an easy-to-remove breech plug. This will help you in keeping it clean, but also just in general setup. I have had the non-break open action, and it is fine (in fact, if you would like to make a deal!) but i have been much more pleased with the break open. You will be pleasantly surprised at how they handle moisture/wet.

My preference has been the CVA V2 line. Same as said above, 209 primers (keep them dry in whatever your possibles bag is going to be) and some good powder. My pref here has been the Triple 7 50gr pellets, with a Powerbelt hollowpoint.

Also like above, it is just as much fun as archery - tuning in a system.

Here is a link to the package I was referencing -http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/cva-optima-v-muzzleloader-sale/pc/105625080/c/319655880/cva-optima-v-muzzleloader-stainless-steel-black-with-x-konus-scope-and-gun-case-combo/1601965.uts?slotId=0

Obviously you can shop around. I made much better deals on mine at Buds Gun Shop.

Comment

Traditional or bust!! Lyman Great Plains or TC Hawken.

Comment

where does everyone get their guns and supplies? I kept saying I was going to get one when I was hunting in OK for a few years and never did but it would give me some more options

Comment

No open sights rules this one out but the Maxim 50 looks awesome.

Comment

I have a stainless tc encore hunter Id get rid of if matt passes on it, ill post it if he does

Comment

I know silencerco now is making a suppressed muzzle loader that you don't need a stamp or anything for. Priced at $999 I think is what I saw

Comment

Working...
                              X