Kreg jig ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreg jig ?

Do y'all use the screws from them ? Or can I use the deck screws I have ? I got a few 25 lbs box's of deck screws .

As long as they don't punch through the material, I've used drywall screws with little problem

That being said, the pocket screws make a much nicer finished product.. Sometimes that bugle head will split the material or not sit deep enough..

If I'm dumping a lot of money into lumber for something nice I'll use the recommended screws. If I'm just piecing something together I'll use whatever I have available

Comment

I have used both with the same results.

Comment

Just make sure they are the right length, the way those kreg or any pocket hole screws sit are a little different but you should be fine.

As mentioned, if you are building something that's worth building I'd use pockethole screws. They aren't expensive when bought in bulk.

Comment

Do they work as good as clamps? I've got a table top mostly glued up, but I want to widen it just a little. I don't have the clamps needed for this, so was wondering if I could get by with glue and pocket hole screws on my 2 additional side boards. Please let me know

Comment

And since I'm thinking about it. What if my table top has a little bow to it? Is that something that you typically just sand the heck out of and get it as flat as you can? It was my first attempt to make a table.

Comment

I'm just piecing together a little island for the kitchen . I kissed the kreg screws till I ran out . Then went with my deck screws . They worked good . Just had to set the chuck on the drill so it would not sink them to deep past .the shoulder in the pocket .

Comment

Originally posted by tipps View Post
                Do they work as good as clamps? I've got a table top mostly glued up, but I want to widen it just a little. I don't have the clamps needed for this, so was wondering if I could get by with glue and pocket hole screws on my 2 additional side boards. Please let me know

I don't see why that wouldn't work .

Comment

The only problem that I've found with drywall screws is that you can over torque them and split the "pocketed" piece, like gumbl3 mentioned. The Kreg screw, being flat on the underside of the head seems to suck up the joint better, without splitting the wood.

Comment

I had good luck with the deck screws . It helped that I was joining 2x4's. If it was 1/2 wood I would of used their screws. Heck I have 75 lbs of deck screws so I use them on everything. 50 lbs of 2 1/2 and 25 lbs of 1 5/8

Comment

I think the flat top on the Kreg screws will give you a tighter fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Randallc View Post
                        I think the flat top on the Kreg screws will give you a tighter fit.

You are right about that . I ended up using the deck screws on all the 2x4's . Worked good for that . Had to use the kreg screws on the 1/2 cedar .

Comment

Y'all know any place to buy the screws in bulk and a good price ?

Comment

How do you know when the Kreg screw is seated properly? That's the problem I was having.

Comment

I have only used it for one project . What I did was set the chuck on my drill to like #4 . When I set a joint I watched it till the joint was tight . I think I ended up setting my chuck on #6 . I tried on a few scrap pieces of wood to make sure it I had it set light enough that I didn't drive the screw through the off side of the joint . But set heavy enough to tighten the joint .

Comment

Working...
                              X