Chewy sausage casings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chewy sausage casings.

Have any of yall ran into an issued with chewy sausage casings. I bought a hank from the butcher by my house that is very popular in the area. After I stuffed, hung, and smoked my sausage I was not impressed with the casings due to them being chewy after being smoked and grilled. My brother in law just had a deer processed by the same guy I bought my casings from, and a year later, I had the same experience with the sausage he had made there.

We really like a casing that has a snap and not a chew to it. It's really hard for me to stuff 100 lbs of my hard work into junk and not sure what the outcome will be.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have ran into this also. I have used LEM casings with success, so that's probably what I'm going to go back to, or even try out synthetic casings.

I got some that was chewy this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What type of casing are you having the issue with? Pork? Beef? Sheep? Synthetic?

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
        Have any of yall ran into an issued with chewy sausage casings. I bought a hank from the butcher by my house that is very popular in the area. After I stuffed, hung, and smoked my sausage I was not impressed with the casings due to them being chewy after being smoked and grilled. My brother in law just had a deer processed by the same guy I bought my casings from, and a year later, I had the same experience with the sausage he had made there.

We really like a casing that has a snap and not a chew to it. It's really hard for me to stuff 100 lbs of my hard work into junk and not sure what the outcome will be.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have ran into this also. I have used LEM casings with success, so that's probably what I'm going to go back to, or even try out synthetic casings.

Never had a problem with LEM hog casings, always been good.

The LEM dry colligen? Suck

Comment

I’d definitely stay away from the LEM collagen casings. Pretty tough. The LEM natural hog casings have always been tender or me.

Comment

Try soaking with a splash of vinegar,

Comment

Were they hog or beef casings? Beef are noticeably thicker than pork and slightly bigger. You can also peel beef casing from cooked sausage while pork you can not.

Comment

sounds like the synthetic casing , i detest that junk,,,,, natural casing is always easier to bite and chew

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                  sounds like the synthetic casing , i detest that junk,,,,, natural casing is always easier to bite and chew

That's what I'm thinking it was as well. IMO nothing beats a real pork casing.

I guess the OP must have choked on his chewy casing. He ain't been back.

Comment

We only use natural hog casings and never have the problem. Synthetic casings are chewy.

Comment

The LEM natural hog casings have always been tender or me.
                      Same here. I got tough casing one year from my local butcher and hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        That's what I'm thinking it was as well. IMO nothing beats a real pork casing.

I guess the OP must have choked on his chewy casing. He ain't been back.
                        Im back,lol, got busy. They were for sure hog gut and packaged like i would think a professional company would do it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Im back,lol, got busy. They were for sure hog gut and packaged like i would think a professional company would do it.

That's odd then if they were natural hog casings. Did you rinse them first? They can go bad too. It could have just been a bad batch.

Comment

Yes sir, rinsed, soaked, and rinsed again. Other than LEM what are you guys that make lots of sausage use?
                            Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            That's odd then if they were natural hog casings. Did you rinse them first? They can go bad too. It could have just been a bad batch.

Comment

I think giving the sausage an ice bath after soaking helps prevent this as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X