Wood burning stove installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood burning stove installation?

My son has bought a small farm house and would like to possibly add a wood burning stove. It has an upstairs and I think it would have to be vented out an exterior wall. Do they draft ok? Approximate cost for turn key? Thanks!

A friend of mine had one going out the wall for many years and never had ant trouble with it.
    No help on cost but im sure it would depend on the exterior veneer, brick,rock,siding of some sort

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      A friend of mine had one going out the wall for many years and never had ant trouble with it.
      No help on cost but im sure it would depend on the exterior veneer, brick,rock,siding of some sort
      Thanks!

Comment

Our camp house stove goes out through a wall thimble and drafts fine. Fireplace store said it would do better going straight up though

Comment

Also might think about do it from the inside? Might be cheaper to make repairs.

Comment

For every 90 degrees of bend in the stove pipe you lose 25% of your draft. Best is to take it out the ceiling if he can. There are ways to vent it through the second story, he'll use stove pipe to the ceiling, then he'll use double wall chimney pipe out the roof. I installed both of my wood stoves and chimneys.

He's looking at a minimum of $750 for the stove pipe and chimney parts. That stuff ain't cheap. And DO NOT cheap out on it.

Also remember, for proper draft, the chimney cap needs to be 2 feet above the nearest point of the roof 10 feet away. That's prolly as clear as mud.
            Last edited by UltraMax; 06-13-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

If you go out through the wall or a window, be sure to use 45's and not 90's. A 45 is figured the same as straight pipe but like Max said, the 90's will rob 25% of your draft.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                For every 90 degrees of bend in the stove pipe you lose 25% of your draft. Best is to take it out the ceiling if he can. There are ways to vent it through the second story, he'll use stove pipe to the ceiling, then he'll use double wall chimney pipe out the roof. I installed both of my wood stoves and chimneys.

He's looking at a minimum of $750 for the stove pipe and chimney parts. That stuff ain't cheap. And DO NOT cheap out on it.

Also remember, for proper draft, the chimney cap needs to be 2 feet above the nearest point of the roof 10 feet away. That's prolly as clear as mud.
                Yeah, I had sticker shock on the insulated chimney pipe. The elbows are crazy high but hey it's the safest way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                X