TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2019 Dallas Cowboys season thread.... (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738128)

Mertzon Man 07-29-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBV77 (Post 14273555)
Lee also surrendered at Appomattox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aswald did it!

Smart 07-29-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mertzon Man (Post 14273554)
Lol, I canít stop laughing!

Hahahaha....he is a much skinnier dude too now. Hopefully he's more fluid. I read yesterday that Jarwin looks good so its gonna be a battle. Will be interesting to see just how many plays Witten gets per game if Jarwin is playing well..

Skinny 07-29-2019 10:26 PM

Jerry donít have too many more chances at a Super Bowl. He will pay Zeke plenty.

Go Cowboys!

Smart 07-29-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinny (Post 14273585)
Jerry donít have too many more chances at a Super Bowl. He will pay Zeke plenty.

Go Cowboys!

Yup....but hopefully not 5 years worth...or Stephen is gonna be cussing him in his grave:eek:

Runnin4D 07-29-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14271322)
I read this too and was surprised. Then I read/heard several NFL analysts totally shoot it down as there are far too many variables can't be factored in a statistical analysis. Play calling was singled out as a major flaw as Zeke was graded down significantly based on red zone carries. Linehan had a preference for passing in the red zone and the Cowboys red zone performance was less than stellar.

Zeke is a stud and easily the best offensive player on this team. He was the leading rusher in the NFL by 200+ yards and he didn't even play the final game of the season. He also did this behind and offensive line that gave up the 2nd most sacks in the NFL last season. I hope they pay the man.

Ya because the defense gets sacks when the RB gets the ball...

hpdrifter 07-29-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp (Post 14273475)
Garrett has a pretty **** good offensive mind

He's been keeping it under wraps then.

ttechdallas 07-29-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin4D (Post 14273671)
Ya because the defense gets sacks when the RB gets the ball...

You're missing the whole point. Cowboys O-line play on both run and pass have not been good the past 2 years. Contrast with those suggesting O-line deserved credit for Zeke's #'s, not Zeke.

Signing Alfred Morris is not sending any message to Zeke. He wouldn't be the starter if Zeke never showed up and everyone knows it.

Late reports are that negotiations are friendly and expected to end while Cowboys are in Oxnard. That Cabo is same time zone as Oxnard so he can train and if/when deal is done, join camp.

So many story lines out there. I'm hoping this one is accurate. Go Boys. Go Zeke.

txwhitetail 07-30-2019 12:05 AM

Cowboys add Alfred Morris

Tom 07-30-2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart (Post 14273531)
Talk is Dak is a different QB than he has been with his accuracy on the deeper balls due to Kitna. Its been all over twitter and the NFL network training camp live shows. Dak might be more than a middle of the road QB if he has that deep ball accuracy up like folks are saying....and yes its offseason sunshine pumping but it could be a true. Several videos show him throwing dimes.

Speaking of more offseason sunshine pumping....Hoping Kellen Moore and Garret (who had plenty of chances with Romo) will make a huge difference. I hope that's the case but we just don't have that kind of luck.

I believe this. Dak works hard and you know he worked hard all off season. that is his best attribute and above anything else he is hard to hurt. Big strong and fast and hard to hurt....I like it.

Smart 07-30-2019 12:35 AM

The new 3...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...76d4f83e28.jpg

Jcjohnson 07-30-2019 05:20 AM

Afred Morris hasn’t had a 1000 yard season since 2014 and hasn’t played a whole season since 2015. He had a killer rookie year with the skins in 2012 but has steadily declined since. Hard to picture him do anything close what zeke does for the cowboys.

Trading zeke is the best chance at replacing him. yes most talking heads say zeke is right to sit. On the other hand most say that 15m/yr is crazy too. Jerry has been in his corner since the beginning....and the drama started in the beginning. He has been paid pretty good too. Zeke is handling this poorly like he has so many other off Field issues. Doesn’t he owe the team a little more respect? He should be in camp paid or not. If he was I’m sure Jerry would be quicker to break out the check book.

Even if Dak has made strides in the passing game having an explosive 3 down back only helps. The window is open NOW in Dallas. Gonna be interesting seeing how this plays out either way.

GA Bowhunter 07-30-2019 07:16 AM

Zeke 2018.

The top 10 back in number of carries:

#1 in carries Zeke
#1 in fumbles Zeke
#5/6 yards per carry Zeke(tied with Chris Carson)
#9 in touchdowns Zeke

Zeke was #21 overall in yards per carry.
Zeke was #20-26 in rushing TD's(tied with 6 other players including Dak)

Why is Zeke special? Because Jerry hands him the ball a lot between the 20's.
You give any decent NFL back the ball 304 times and they will rack up a lot of yards.

I'll take a back that scores TD's in the redzone, closes out games, doesn't set the ball on the ground and acts like he has some sense when he if off work.

Jcjohnson 07-30-2019 07:54 AM

A Back that can replace his production or carries isn’t on the roster right now.

Jcjohnson 07-30-2019 08:05 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/rush-cowboy...042416976.html.

ttechdallas 07-30-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter (Post 14273900)
Zeke 2018.

The top 10 back in number of carries:

#1 in carries Zeke
#1 in fumbles Zeke
#5/6 yards per carry Zeke(tied with Chris Carson)
#9 in touchdowns Zeke

Zeke was #21 overall in yards per carry.
Zeke was #20-26 in rushing TD's(tied with 6 other players including Dak)

Why is Zeke special? Because Jerry hands him the ball a lot between the 20's.
You give any decent NFL back the ball 304 times and they will rack up a lot of yards.

I'll take a back that scores TD's in the redzone, closes out games, doesn't set the ball on the ground and acts like he has some sense when he if off work.

Zeke doesn't call the plays and the Cowboys red zone play calling was predominately pass first under Linehan - one of the reasons he is gone.

I don't know how many times Zeke fumbled but I'm pretty sure he only had 1 fumble that was recovered by the opposing team - which is what counts.

All those carries between the 20's - who do you think was extending those drives and keeping the other team's offense off the field - incl 4th quarter?

Zeke is an elite RB who is also a workhorse - with the most touches of any RB since he entered the NFL. Plus, every team's makeup is different. I personally think anyone is crazy if they think this Cowboys team can contend for a SB this season or next without an elite RB. They don't have an elite QB - at least right now. Cooper is good but not elite - I'm not even sure he cracks the top 10 NFL receivers.

The market is what the market it is - that will determine what Zeke gets. Whether by the Cowboys or whoever else. If they are going to have to sign him to a 5 year deal, better this season at the age of 24.

I just want to see them win and hopefully get to the NFC championship game this season at a minimum. I hope both sides are reasonable and they get him signed.

Hoss163 07-30-2019 09:53 AM

Zeke will get his contract and then get hurt in About week 6 always happens seems like .

Dale Moser 07-30-2019 09:57 AM

2019 Dallas Cowboys season thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274147)
Zeke doesn't call the plays and the Cowboys red zone play calling was predominately pass first under Linehan - one of the reasons he is gone.

I don't know how many times Zeke fumbled but I'm pretty sure he only had 1 fumble that was recovered by the opposing team - which is what counts.

All those carries between the 20's - who do you think was extending those drives and keeping the other team's offense off the field - incl 4th quarter?

Zeke is an elite RB who is also a workhorse - with the most touches of any RB since he entered the NFL. Plus, every team's makeup is different. I personally think anyone is crazy if they think this Cowboys team can contend for a SB this season or next without an elite RB. They don't have an elite QB - at least right now. Cooper is good but not elite - I'm not even sure he cracks the top 10 NFL receivers.

The market is what the market it is - that will determine what Zeke gets. Whether by the Cowboys or whoever else. If they are going to have to sign him to a 5 year deal, better this season at the age of 24.

I just want to see them win and hopefully get to the NFC championship game this season at a minimum. I hope both sides are reasonable and they get him signed.

Cooper is absolutely elite.

I think this offense would work just fine without Zeke as long as Moore isnít as awful as Garrett, and Garrett stays out of it.

Zeke or no Zeke, Iíd be drunkerín a peach orchard boar on blue koolaide...if I didnít keep remembering weíve got the 31st ranked coach in the nfl...

Smart 07-30-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Cooper is good but not elite - I'm not even sure he cracks the top 10 NFL receivers.

Lotta NFL talking heads will argue that especially in his route running. Me I think Elite is one of the most over used words in football.

Quote:

I just want to see them win and hopefully get to the NFC championship game this season at a minimum. .

We all want this....but have spent years watching ****ty contracts hamstring this team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss163 (Post 14274162)
Zeke will get his contract and then get hurt in About week 6 always happens seems like .

I've already had a year full of nutkicks in vehicle expenses, hospital bills and the Rangers.....I don't need another one..:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 14274172)

I think this offense would work just fine without Zeke as long as Moore isn’t as awful as Garrett, and Garrett stays out of it.

He's **** sure an "elite" route runner. Now if the new Dak can get him the ball.

txwhitetail 07-30-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Cooper is definitely an ďeliteĒ WR use whatever term you like.

Jcjohnson 07-30-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txwhitetail (Post 14274230)
Cooper is definitely an ďeliteĒ WR use whatever term you like.

What ever he is he brings the same amount of value maybe more.

ttechdallas 07-30-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 14274172)

I think this offense would work just fine without Zeke as long as Moore isnít as awful as Garrett, and Garrett stays out of it.

Zeke or no Zeke, Iíd be drunkerín a peach orchard boar on blue koolaide...if I didnít keep remembering weíve got the 31st ranked coach in the nfl...

Then you haven't paid as much attention to how this team has been built over the past few seasons. It is built around Zeke and the running game - so that the Cowboys can control the situations in which they do pass.

Cooper is good and he may ultimately become elite but he is nowhere close to an elite receiver up til now. Like Zeke, he was a 4th pick in the 1st round. In 5 years, he has only cracked the top 20 in a single receiving category 1 time. He made 1 Pro Bowl - as a late injury replacement.

Contrast that with Zeke who is elite.

As for Garrett, I'm not sure we'll ever know how good a coach he is or isn't until he is with an organization run like an NFL team should be. With a real GM and player personnel manager who are held as accountable as every other position - player, coach, management.

Smart 07-30-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274491)
Then you haven't paid as much attention to how this team has been built over the past few seasons. It is built around Zeke and the running game - so that the Cowboys can control the situations in which they do pass.

Cooper is good and he may ultimately become elite but he is nowhere close to an elite receiver up til now. Like Zeke, he was a 4th pick in the 1st round. In 5 years, he has only cracked the top 20 in a single receiving category 1 time. He made 1 Pro Bowl - as a late injury replacement.

As for Garrett, I'm not sure we'll ever know how good a coach he is or isn't until he is with an organization run like an NFL team should be. With a real GM and player personnel manager who are held as accountable as every other position - player, coach, management.

Linehan is gone. I see changes on the horizon for this 1st and 10 run offense of the past..

mjhaverkamp 07-30-2019 12:43 PM

I think Cooper has 3 pro bowls in 4 seasons, he missed several games in the year he did not make it, that is pretty elite Imo.

Smart 07-30-2019 12:44 PM

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...99&oe=5DD972ED

txwhitetail 07-30-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcjohnson (Post 14274284)
What ever he is he brings the same amount of value maybe more.

Yep you could make the argument a top tier receiver is ďworthĒ more than Zeke in the current setup and Oline. Not far fetched.

Birddog66 07-30-2019 12:49 PM

I remember when Emmit Smith held out for more money. I also remember that being a little easier to swallow because he wasn't wrapped up in all this off-season/non-football related monkey business. No shame in Zeke's game.

Dale Moser 07-30-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274491)

I've payed plenty of attention to how it's been built. It's been built around running the ball because the GM wasted a 4th over all pick on a running back, and employs an inept offensive coach. It's built around an antiquated philosophy that's gotten them nowhere, and they're about to double down and get in salary cap trouble because they STILL don't realize that YOU CAN'T PAY EVERYONE! You definitely don't overpay at running back in a passing league.

With ALLLL Zeke has done in the last few years, where has it gotten the team? Nowhere. History tells us those are a RB's best years. The only way to improve as a team is to put the ball in his hands less. They have run the ball as much as they have, largely out of a distrust of the qb, but you can't improve that way. They HAVE to throw the ball more, and more effectively. It has been proven that Zeke running well does NOT open up the passing game. He sees like the 6th or 8th most 8 man fronts of ANY running back...

So you want to overpay a guy that needs to be used less, AND has proven to be an idiot at every turn?

Cooper has been playing for the effing Raiders, give me a break.

I havn't been paying attention?

Dale Moser 07-30-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txwhitetail (Post 14274522)
Yep you could make the argument a top tier receiver is ďworthĒ more than Zeke in the current setup and Oline. Not far fetched.

You don't even have to make the argument, it's the absolute truth. Look no further than actual league salaries.

mikemorvan 07-30-2019 01:51 PM

So much angst for the third day of practice. :D

Smart 07-30-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemorvan (Post 14274649)

All Zeke's fault!:). At least he is keeping the heat off Dak contract talks.

Wait until preseason games start! D-Mo will be on fire.. He loves those..:D

ttechdallas 07-30-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 14274611)
With ALLLL Zeke has done in the last few years, where has it gotten the team? Nowhere. History tells us those are a RB's best years. The only way to improve as a team is to put the ball in his hands less. They have run the ball as much as they have, largely out of a distrust of the qb, but you can't improve that way. They HAVE to throw the ball more, and more effectively. It has been proven that Zeke running well does NOT open up the passing game. So you want to overpay a guy that needs to be used less, AND has proven to be an idiot at every turn?

We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys have a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB.

The "overpay" argument is irrelevant and totally speculative. The market is set, Stephen Jones himself has confirmed it publicly. We don't know what Zeke's demands are or where they will settle. That's up to them and I hope they do. But if they don't, I don't like their chances of winning the NFC East, much less advancing in the playoffs.

Smart 07-30-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274661)
We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys HAD a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB..

We'll revisit after the season..

Dale Moser 07-30-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274661)
We can all argue all day long over why they haven't won more, whose definition of elite is accurate, etc. What there is no argument about is that the Cowboys have a "run first" offense where the starting RB averages around 400 touches per season. Contrast that with a WR's touches and for this team to contend this year, they need a stud RB.

The "overpay" argument is irrelevant and totally speculative. The market is set, Stephen Jones himself has confirmed it publicly. We don't know what Zeke's demands are or where they will settle. That's up to them and I hope they do. But if they don't, I don't like their chances of winning the NFC East, much less advancing in the playoffs.

You aren't listening...

They have a "run first" offense by choice, it's a bad choice and there is no reason they have to keep doing it.....literally zero reason. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

If you think a players salary is irrelevant in a salary capped league, then we are done here. Look where super bowl winning teams spend their money...

ttechdallas 07-30-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Moser (Post 14274691)
You aren't listening...

They have a "run first" offense by choice, it's a bad choice and there is no reason they have to keep doing it.....literally zero reason. IT HAS NOT WORKED.

If you think a players salary is irrelevant in a salary capped league, then we are done here. Look where super bowl winning teams spend their money...

Never said player's salary is irrelevant. Look, this isn't fantasy football where teams can change their orientation and makeup on a dime. Every team is different - situation, personnel, coaching, etc., and there is no cookie cutter strategy that works for all.

Dak is a good QB and hopefully will evolve to a top tier QB, but he lacks the accuracy and defensive read skills to lead a pass oriented team to the playoffs. Especially this season. So if your theory is that it doesn't matter if the Boys have a great RB because they're not going to win this year anyway, then I get it. Ditch Zeke for a cheaper option and start the re-build.

I don't think the Cowboys are going for that - they want to compete now.

Jcjohnson 07-30-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemorvan (Post 14274649)

Most relevant post so far:D

Fightinaggies 07-30-2019 02:45 PM

If we don't have Zeke the Cowboys can kiss those superbowl aspirations goodbye. You think Morris, Pollard, Jackson, or any combo there of will draw a stacked box like Zeke will? Without Zeke the whole focus of the defense changes, not to mention those three together can't touch his talent out of the backfield. I don't blame him for wanting a new contract now and holding out, hes gonna get another 350-400 touches this year if Dallas is going to do anything. Why take that beating and not get paid market value?

Smart 07-30-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274728)
Dak is a good QB and hopefully will evolve to a top tier QB, but he LACKED the accuracy and defensive read skills to lead a pass oriented team to the playoffs.

We'll revisit after the season..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttechdallas (Post 14274728)
Look, this isn't fantasy football where teams can change their orientation and makeup on a dime. Every team is different - situation, personnel, coaching, etc., and there is no cookie cutter strategy that works for all.

If Tyron stays healthy and with Frederick back I think they can handle their own in the passing game protection once again. Connor Williams put on 20 lbs and good mass and is hovering around 315-320. He looks the part of an NFL lineman, has the skills to be an NFL lineman.... all he lacked was some size and strength last year. Looks like he did what we needed. I like our chances with the Oline.

They added a better slot in Cobb IMO, have a full offseason with Amari and then Gallup is one more year experienced. Jarwin added another year and offseason, Witten is back and Dak seems to have worked his *** off on his accuaracy issues. I think Jerry and Stephen did a bang up job adding Kitna to train Dak and put them in the position to make the jump. Moore ...well ...we'll see. I think they have the pieces to not rely so heavily on the 1st down and 10 run.

ttechdallas 07-30-2019 02:54 PM

If they don't sign Zeke, I hope you are right. But I suspect it will mean I sell a few more of our season game tickets and go deer hunting instead. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

drop dead fred 07-30-2019 02:56 PM

Hell trade him and get something good for him In my eyes

MBV77 07-30-2019 02:56 PM

Sure are a lot of folks acting like itís no big deal if Zeke wasnít here. I donít care whoís calling the offense, if you donít have a quarterback to execute it then it ainít gunna work. Has anyone noticed how many times our qb gets sacked because he holds onto the ball with guys running wide open all over the field?

Iím sure hoping that something clicks with Dak this year and he starts seeing the field and is able to hit a guy 20 yards down it.