Tpwd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tpwd

Hello! I'm new to TEXAS and new to TBH and so far Im enjoying it! I have one more semester of college to pay for then i can hopefully get into a lease but as for now Im researching public land hunting... I have been spending a lot of time on TPWD.com and have purchased an AHP and have a booklet on the way. However, I have begun reviewing the online public land locator map on the TPWD website. It is pretty straight forward and I think I understand my rights, regulations, etc. However i am confused on a few things:
    1) The map does not list LBJ grasslands. Only Caddo? why is that? Are they the same?
    2) What are E postcard hunts?
    3) Is the TPWD rules, regulations, and maps found on the website up to date and reliable?
    4) I live in Flower mound (Dfw area) any recommendations on what area i should focus on for archery deer hunting?
    5) any tips, tricks or advice on Texas public land hunting i need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance! sorry for the long thread....

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll tackle 3 and 5.

3. E-postcard hunts- In the past many public areas had hunts that you would apply to by sending them a postcard with your name and info on it. The postcard would be sent directly to the hunt area and not TPWD. The area would then draw the cards until they had the desired amount of hunters.
    When TPWD started accepting their own applications online many of the postcard hunt areas decided it was easier to let TPWD handel the draws for them instead of using their own personnel. I believe the E stands for electronic vs the old school mail in postcard.

5.Advice on public lands- know the rules. Every area will have slightly different rules, don't assume because you know the rules for one area that you are good to hunt all areas under those same rules.
    Last edited by Sideler; 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

(1) LBJ grasslands is not one of the TPWD APH required properties. It is a sister property with Caddo national grasslands but they have different regulations. Since no APH required on LBJ it is not listed in TPWD APH booklet.

(3). All aph maps have the dates on the top so as long as dates are current hunting season then it is the current years regs. And regs do change from year to year so always check new maps.

(4) not many areas that allow archery deer around Dallas. Have to go west or east.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
        I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll tackle 3 and 5.

3. E-postcard hunts- In the past many public areas had hunts that you would apply to by sending them a postcard with your name and info on it. The postcard would be sent directly to the hunt area and not TPWD. The area would then draw the cards until they had the desired amount of hunters.
        When TPWD started accepting their own applications online many of the postcard hunt areas decided it was easier to let TPWD handel the draws for them instead of using their own personnel. I believe the E stands for electronic vs the old school mail in postcard.

5.Advice on public lands- know the rules. Every area will have slightly different rules, don't assume because you know the rules for one area that you are good to hunt all areas under those same rules.

So do you have to be drawn with the E card system to hunt that area or does the e card selection give the person special privilege on the land such as rifle hunting, doe tag, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Red_RaiderHTC View Post
          (1) LBJ grasslands is not one of the TPWD APH required properties. It is a sister property with Caddo national grasslands but they have different regulations. Since no APH required on LBJ it is not listed in TPWD APH booklet.

(3). All aph maps have the dates on the top so as long as dates are current hunting season then it is the current years regs. And regs do change from year to year so always check new maps.

(4) not many areas that allow archery deer around Dallas. Have to go west or east.

Thats interesting,,, but the online TPWD map does not just list APH required properties... It list "every" public hunting land in Texas. However, it does not list LBJ... Weird huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebeaux View Post
            So do you have to be drawn with the E card system to hunt that area or does the e card selection give the person special privilege on the land such as rifle hunting, doe tag, etc?
            Drawn

Comment

Best thing I can tell you for public land around DFW is know the rules and put your boots on, and get to scouting. Expand your search outside of the APH. There is quite a bit of public land with deer around DFW.

Comment

Welcome......

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                  Best thing I can tell you for public land around DFW is know the rules and put your boots on, and get to scouting. Expand your search outside of the APH. There is quite a bit of public land with deer around DFW.

What he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

What means would I need to go through to find these lands? Website or what?

Comment

Corps of engineers. Websites. Some don't need permits, some are draw, some you can go pick up permits. All of the public land COE and type 2 hold deer, hogs, and other game. You just have to scout and find them. They are there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

TPWD runs the APH program for land it controls WMAs, parks, and the like. There is also lots of OTHER gvmnt land out there, Corps of Engineers land, Nation Forest Service land, BLM, etc. out there

But here is where it can get blurry......

TPWD leases (or used to) or otherwise controls/regulates the hunting on some "other gvmnt lands, COE, NFS, etc which would require APH on TPWD controlled land.........while other COE, NFS, BLM lands might be run by the aforementioned themselves. So it is possible to need a APH on some other agencies property if TPWD is controlling the hunting on that specific property.

Keep digging..... you are off to a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                          TPWD runs the APH program for land it controls WMAs, parks, and the like. There is also lots of OTHER gvmnt land out there, Corps of Engineers land, Nation Forest Service land, BLM, etc. out there

But here is where it can get blurry......

TPWD leases (or used to) or otherwise controls/regulates the hunting on some "other gvmnt lands, COE, NFS, etc which would require APH on TPWD controlled land.........while other COE, NFS, BLM lands might be run by the aforementioned themselves. So it is possible to need a APH on some other agencies property if TPWD is controlling the hunting on that specific property.

Keep digging..... you are off to a good start.
                          Good info here. Keep digging. I would be looking through the public hunting section on here and find the threads about different places. Look them up online, see where they're located, read people's responses, etc. That'll give you a good idea what kind of work you're in for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you guys! Anyone point me in right direction of accessing LBJ?

Comment

Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine, the Outdoor Magazine of Texas: Editorial Information.

Comment

Working...
                              X