Infrared cameras to find deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infrared cameras to find deer

Just a thought here, but the company I work for reps and sells Flir infrared cameras, mainly we sell them to power utilities companies and factories so they can tell if a transformer or other machine is overheating etc etc. I got to thinking, this would work for looking for a deer in some thick brush. Now it wouldn't work if the deer has been dead a long time and lost all of its body heat, but these cameras are pretty impressive and can find a heat source through some pretty thick stuff. I was thinking if you are running a high and ranch where people pay big bucks for a hunt having nice piece of equipment to help locate the animals might be worth it ( they are a little pricey, around $1900 for the hand held units) Im going to take one of our demos out this year and see just how good it works. Just a thought, anything to help hunter find their game.

I have a Fluke Ir camera here at work and have often thought about putting it to use in such a manner. I just hate the thought of something happening to it in the woods. i'd have a very expensive piece of equipment to replace.

Comment

Ouch $1900!!! But if you need to test another demo just let me know!

Comment

$1900 isn't bad. The Fluke Ti-25 I have ran $6500.

Comment

IMO the only reason that something like this hasn't been marketed is the cost per unit, and risk of damage. It makes perfectly good sense that it will work as long as there is heat coming from the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
            I have a Fluke Ir camera here at work and have often thought about putting it to use in such a manner. I just hate the thought of something happening to it in the woods. i'd have a very expensive piece of equipment to replace.
            yeah it would need to stay put up until needed just for this reason and maybe only have a few guys who are allowed to use them. not something you want just riding around in your truck with you until needed.

Comment

There was a small hand held device years ago that did about the same thing, but with out the monitor screen. It just had lights that lit up when pointed at the heat source. I'll see if I can find it somewhere on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by kathunk View Post
                Ouch $1900!!! But if you need to test another demo just let me know!
                maybe I can open up my own tracking service!

Comment

here was onehttp://www.game-finder.com/
                  here is another http://www.aimshot.com/heatseeker.php

Comment

I have a friend in the home water damage repair and restoration business. He has one of these cameras and uses his to occasionally find deer...or determine where the cows are prior to heading out in the mornings.

It's a great way to verify if there are any Deer around or bedded in an area you are about to walk into.

I hunted with him last week in MO, and it was pretty cool to scan the soy bean field in front of his farmhouse early in the morning and at night. Amazing how many critters are there, that we usually never see. And does a great job at finding water leaks

His camera is about the size of a typical office phone, and nice sized display... and bou coup expensive.

Comment

interesting. Great idea, but not really affordable yet.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                        Have you or anyone you know ever used one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                          maybe I can open up my own tracking service!
                          As funny as that is you might be on to something! I mean, people sell tracks by their dogs...why couldn't you do same. Money maker!

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                            What are the costs of these?

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                              interesting. Great idea, but not really affordable yet.
                              yeah not for the everyday normal hunter, but for some of the big game ranches maybe. ahh whats another 2 grand!

Comment

Working...
                              X