Velvet Elvis....

Steven Leggett

~The Definition of a VE~

Click image for larger version

Name:	VE.bmp
Views:	6
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	24733363

The VE or Velvet Elvis is Bowhunting's highest honor. The inspiration for the award came from a velvet antlered buck affectionately known as "Elvis" that was repeatedly photographed by Breck "Deerslayer" Nolen in his backyard. As far as any of us know, Elvis was never harvested and like his namesake, he may still be alive. For historical record, the idea first emerged on this sacred board on July 6th, 2002 on or about 1:42PM.

In order to merit the award one must achieve the following:

1. Take a game animal or predator using archery tackle.
    2. Take a tasteful (hopefully) LDP or "layin' down pic" of the animal or bird (exotics count, but please no raccoons, armadillos, skunks or horny toads!).
    3. Register and share the story on the internet's premier bowhunting discussion board, Texasbowhunter.com.
    4. Share the story in a timely fashion (last year's harvests are not eligible).
    5. Story must come from the actual hunter (with occasional exceptions for kids).
    6. Story must be nominated for the award three times by ANY registered user of the FSOG (Fabled Screen of Green).
    7. ANY registered user is qualified to bestow the award but it is recommended that you watch a few "veterans do it before you dive in.

{Q&A}

Q: Is there a monetary or physical award?

A: No, you already have your award, hopefully it is on the way to a qualified taxidermist.

Q: Why should I care about a dumb ol' semi fictitious award?

A: This is Texas, it's just plain good manners.

Q: What if I think I deserve an award but I have not got one yet?

A: Chances are you are short a nomination that should be forthcoming or you may have not met all the criteria (please review).

Q: Is the award exclusive?

A: It is exclusive in that it only applies to archery.

Q: If I don't get a VE right away does that mean I'm not part of some secret society or clique?

A: No, Elvis thrives on heaping praise on the good people who comprise the ever-expanding universe of Texasbowhunter.com but this is a big site. Just like with bowhunting, patience is a virtue.

Q: I live on a ranch that is blessed with tons of game. Should I go on a killin' spree to make myself look like an accomplished hunter on the Internet?

A: Uh, no.

Note: The VE Award Staff reserves the right to amend or make exceptions to the rules at any time.

Velvet Elvis, rest in peace....

Steven Leggett

Last thoughts on the death of the Velvet Elvis

The reason Velvet Elvis was created was to make sure people got the recognition they deserved back when there were not many here. Now we see threads where 500 to 1000 people see a successful hunt with maybe 100 comments (depending on the hunt). Point being, there seems to be plenty of recognition on the green screen.

While I'm a bit disturbed by the eagerness of some to take a TBH icon out by the collar and shoot him like a dog with mange, I understand the motives. The Velvet Elvis was never meant to overlook anyone who was able to close the deal with archery tackle. To omit hogs or restrict the award in an effort to save also seems wrong. Shooting hogs is the freakin' backbone of bowhunting in Texas. Heck people fly here from other states to do that. When Landon Smith arrows his first hog, he will deserve a VE if it still exists. Same goes for the rest of our kids who are still too young to draw. Heck my little Devil's Sinkhole doe still ranks as one of my best moments in a tree. To restrict to bucks simply does not sit well with me. Shooting does is critical to the maintenance of a healthy deer population in Texas. I could go on, but you get my point.

Joey did an awesome job carrying the torch. The award was as personal and warm as ever. Letting everyone try to help watered it down a bit but at least we still had our tradition alive. Green screen traditions such as the tasteful LDP are also a big part of what makes TBH so unique and successful. But opening it up to everyone is also a problem because a handful of guys stepped up while a handful of others will always be ready to point out that they never got their award (and rightfully so).

Problem is we simply can't keep up. Heck we can't even read a fraction of all the threads today. Even Rob can't do that!

For historical record, the idea first emerged on this sacred board on July 6th, 2002 on or about 1:42PM.

I'm calling for his death on October 26th, 2006 at 8:00 AM.

Codeman gets the last VE from me...if I can find his report!.
    (Link to discussion on last VE - Codemans buck.)

Thanks to all who worked to preserve this GS tradition. Thank ye, thank yee verra muchh.

Let's all join hands and sing!

And now the end is near
    So I face the final curtain
    My friend, Ill say it clear
    Ill state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
    I've traveled each and every highway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do