TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Around the Campfire (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got a bite for a new job on LinkedIn (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598964)

robbyreneeward 07-09-2016 03:03 PM

Got a bite for a new job on LinkedIn
 
Thanks guys for recommending LinkedIn. I had a phone interview today and have a face to face meeting scheduled next Friday with a new company. It's still in restaurants but seems to be a much better opportunity for growth. I'm nervous and excited.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Artos 07-09-2016 03:05 PM

My ex boss keeps hounding me to join...I've always avoided social media where your name is out there like fb & the like.

Guess I need to consider...congrats on the opportunity.

Landrover 07-09-2016 03:07 PM

That's great! Hope u the best. It is far from a FACEBOOK type environment.

dbaio1 07-09-2016 03:17 PM

Congrats, LinkedIn is a great venue for business networking. I make multiple hires per year using it. Good luck.

RascalArms 07-09-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrover (Post 11481769)
It is far from a FACEBOOK type environment.

I agree to a point. It can still be a FB type outlet if you aren't selective in "who" you connect with. I have over 500 connections in my network and believe it or not I was fairly discriminating.

I've made it a point to try NOT to mix the 2 medians. None of my personal friends are in my "professional network" on LinkedIn and conversely none of my work colleagues are my friends on FB.

That being said, I was very fortunate to be able to land my current work gig through a prior connection on LinkedIn.;)

Congrats and good luck to the OP!

robbyreneeward 07-09-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalArms (Post 11481804)
I agree to a point. It can still be a FB type outlet if you aren't selective in "who" you connect with. I have over 500 connections in my network and believe it or not I was fairly discriminating.



I've made it a point to try NOT to mix the 2 medians. None of my personal friends are in my "professional network" on LinkedIn and conversely none of my work colleagues are my friends on FB.



That being said, I was very fortunate to be able to land my current work gig through a prior connection on LinkedIn.;)



Congrats and good luck to the OP!



Thanks and good advice on keeping professional and casual separate.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Landrover 07-09-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalArms (Post 11481804)
I agree to a point. It can still be a FB type outlet if you aren't selective in "who" you connect with. I have over 500 connections in my network and believe it or not I was fairly discriminating.

I've made it a point to try NOT to mix the 2 medians. None of my personal friends are in my "professional network" on LinkedIn and conversely none of my work colleagues are my friends on FB.

That being said, I was very fortunate to be able to land my current work gig through a prior connection on LinkedIn.;)

Congrats and good luck to the OP!

Bingo!!! I am self employed now for 5 years and don't spend much time on it. But I do get requests to connect..........often from folks I casually know. I tend not to add them to that network as they were not in Biotech or big Pharma. I do my best to keep that separated from social friends!

White Falcon 07-09-2016 05:41 PM

Make sure your FB and tweets are cleaned up before you go!!! Some company's also check credit reports. BE EARLY, 10 or 15 minuites for your interview. Not saying you have bad credit, but they do check I don't agree with that. If you are out of work some do get bad credit. Have on clean pressed cloth, hair combed, and shiny shoes. If you were in the military make sure to bring it up! If you see anything in their office about hunting , you might mention you hunt. " I got 2 jobs that way!" Look to see if there might be anything else you have in common! Look the interviewer in the eyes when you talk, and tell the truth. Hope this helps. I have interviewed lots and lots of people over 30 yrs in the Industrial Maintenance field. Good Luck!!!

robbyreneeward 07-09-2016 05:42 PM

Keep yalls fingers crossed please. Not sure if this is the route I need to go. It is a promising position but I'm anxious for some reason


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

White Falcon 07-09-2016 05:54 PM

What type of work?

RS3 07-09-2016 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyreneeward (Post 11481990)
Keep yalls fingers crossed please. Not sure if this is the route I need to go. It is a promising position but I'm anxious for some reason


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

You're probably anxious because it is important to you!

robbyreneeward 07-09-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Falcon (Post 11482009)
What type of work?



District management for a restaurant franchise


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

SoTXAg06 07-09-2016 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=White Falcon;11481988] BE EARLY, 10 or 15 minuites for your interview. [\QUOTE]


In my opinion, being early can go either way. Some people may like it, and some may be put off by it. Especially if they tell you a set time because they are conducting other interviews that day.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cultured Hick 07-09-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyreneeward (Post 11481990)
Keep yalls fingers crossed please. Not sure if this is the route I need to go. It is a promising position but I'm anxious for some reason


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Good luck!

robbyreneeward 07-09-2016 06:46 PM

[quote=SoTXAg06;11482100]
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Falcon (Post 11481988)
BE EARLY, 10 or 15 minuites for your interview. [\QUOTE]


In my opinion, being early can go either way. Some people may like it, and some may be put off by it. Especially if they tell you a set time because they are conducting other interviews that day.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



We are meeting at a local diner off site from the store. I'm going to be early. Prob 10 mins or so.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Fooshman 07-09-2016 07:15 PM

Good luck.

robbyreneeward 07-10-2016 11:46 AM

Thanks guys will do. To be honest I had stopped looking for about the last week or 10 days because work has gotten a little better and I even got an email from my boss apologizing about the way he treats his subordinates. But I still think this is an opportunity I can't pass on if I'm offered the position.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

WyoBull 07-10-2016 11:59 AM

I am on both Linkedin and Facebook. They are both very different social media avenues but both serve a purpose.
For all you folks saying you don't want your name out there etc. and that is the reason for not being on the above, we'll guess what? Your name and information is probably already out there. YOU control what you post, not somebody else so if you don't post stupid things, it will never come back to haunt you. Rant over.

To the OP, good luck on your new job opportunity and interview! Social media is just one tool, albeit an important one, for networking.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

robbyreneeward 07-10-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoBull (Post 11483344)
I am on both Linkedin and Facebook. They are both very different social media avenues but both serve a purpose.
For all you folks saying you don't want your name out there etc. and that is the reason for not being on the above, we'll guess what? Your name and information is probably already out there. YOU control what you post, not somebody else so if you don't post stupid things, it will never come back to haunt you. Rant over.

To the OP, good luck on your new job opportunity and interview! Social media is just one tool, albeit an important one, for networking.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk



Yes sir. I didn't think about LinkedIn at all and have been invited over the years. I am thankful I listened to a TBHer. I never would've thought someone or a recruiter would look ME up and contact me out of nowhere.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

WyoBull 07-10-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyreneeward (Post 11483416)
Yes sir. I didn't think about LinkedIn at all and have been invited over the years. I am thankful I listened to a TBHer. I never would've thought someone or a recruiter would look ME up and contact me out of nowhere.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

[emoji106]

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

robbyreneeward 07-11-2016 12:13 AM

Any district managers of any industry on here?


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

RascalArms 07-11-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyreneeward (Post 11484824)
Any district managers of any industry on here?

I was a DM and Regional Manager for a couple of CPG companies in the beverage/food industry for many years. I'm now an Ops Mgr for another CPG company.

White Falcon 07-13-2016 04:54 PM

Update!!

Tmag 07-13-2016 05:43 PM

Congrats on the interview, prayers for favor in your next interview.

I am a Linkedin member. ;)b

robbyreneeward 07-13-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Falcon (Post 11491671)
Update!!



Still haven't met with them in person. Will let y'all know something Friday afternoon. Thanks for the well wishes.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

robbyreneeward 07-14-2016 11:42 PM

T minus 11 hours and counting until the interview. Nervous. Wish me luck!!


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

robbyreneeward 07-15-2016 05:06 PM

Interview went well. Or at least I think it did. I was told the recruiter would be in contact with me either tonight or Monday. So keep those fingers crossed.


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Tmag 07-15-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyreneeward (Post 11497535)
Interview went well. Or at least I think it did. I was told the recruiter would be in contact with me either tonight or Monday. So keep those fingers crossed.
Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Great news. Continued prayers for favor and open doors for you and yours. ;)b

txjustin 07-15-2016 07:38 PM

Good news. Good luck man. Word of advice, don't get to worked up about this because you can never tell. Keep moving forward if this doesn't work out.

Artos 07-15-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyoBull (Post 11483344)
I am on both Linkedin and Facebook. They are both very different social media avenues but both serve a purpose.
For all you folks saying you don't want your name out there etc. and that is the reason for not being on the above, we'll guess what? Your name and information is probably already out there. YOU control what you post, not somebody else so if you don't post stupid things, it will never come back to haunt you. Rant over.

Lighten up amigo...good grief. Not sure why you would get so jacked up over 'another person' not wanting their name in social media with all the problems very well documented. It's not so much the name as it is the bs. Link'd seems pretty snazzy deal for biz network but nobody will ever convince me FB is solid for me personally. Even the little stuff of not wanting 'to friend' :rolleyes: someone when they ask 'to be friended' :rolleyes: just doesn't sit well for me.

Here is why I never started & my intro into fb...back when the deal was getting going my wife wanted me to join & said I don't think it's a good idea for me babe, sorry. Then I got the big sales pitch just like you stated above & how I'm being silly, you can control, Blah, blah...


Not 30 minutes later, (I mean 30 minutes later) she wants to know with this gal is on FB reaching out to her to find out how I'm doing & when I was going to join. "Why is she contacting me & who is she, I don't remember her..."

Told the wife "I guess you don't recall a recent discussion we just had & I don't know that name either...why don't you ask her & maybe the rest of the www can help you put it all together."

I got the where is my crow recipes look & it won't ever be a problem again...I kinda dig that she got all jealous.:) I'm just making a point that for some of us, it's not good fit. I really enjoy the company of my dogs more than most the people I meet some days & sure don't want to deal with them again online if we didn't really friend in person.

I am Glad you enjoy it however...Rant over.:D:D

WyoBull 07-15-2016 09:20 PM

Artos, me lighten up? Hahaha it's all good, just was on a little rant like you just were. No problem.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

White Falcon 07-22-2016 09:38 AM

Update?

hooligan 07-22-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artos (Post 11497897)
I really enjoy the company of my dogs more than most the people I meet some days

This is how I feel most days


LinkedIn did get me recruited to my current job though which I love so I have to say I am a fan of it.

TXHUNT3R 07-22-2016 09:56 AM

I was recruited via LinkedIn for my current job.

I was laid off at the time from my O&G job so it was an absolute blessing!!!

robbyreneeward 07-22-2016 07:59 PM

I started a new thread a few days ago about the job. I will be a district manager for a new DQ franchise group based in DFW but branching into east tx. I start 8/15. Very excited


Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com