TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Update: Lavon COE deer hunting. (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472487)

Goldeneagle 08-07-2014 09:20 AM

Update: Lavon COE deer hunting.

Stopped by the office yesterday and talked to the head honcho. Told him I had heard that a plan was in works for deer hunting by the way of a drawing was being worked on. He just plain said it's not happening. He wants to keep it as a refuge. So basically the adjoining land owners get to benefit from it but us public land guy's don't. Oh well, it was fun hoping it would happen.:(

DavidH44 08-07-2014 09:23 AM

That's too bad. There are some big deer in there.

ATI 08-07-2014 09:26 AM

He told me the same thing about Duck hunting.

I went to him and told him all the designated "Duck Hunting" areas on Lavon are either dry or inaccessible by boat or on foot and asked him if it was possible to hunt an area (far from any homes or ramps) near by there that had water and ducks... he said "No, stick to the designated duck hunting areas because the rest are all considered as bird sanctuary" so basically, forget about hunting ducks on Lavon...

woodsman 08-07-2014 05:34 PM

Man, what a bummer to hear. So, the use of the entire COE area is up to this one officer? I would think something like this would have some public input or a committee would be making these decisions?

I have no doubt I don't have all the information--if anybody can shed some light on how this works, that would be awesome.

bossbowman 08-08-2014 11:15 AM

I have no doubt its political, the private property owners around that lake are the ones who got TPWD to open an archery deer season, and I'm sure they would rather not allow there to be public hunting on the COE land bordering theirs. I know the private property owners around hagerman absolutely howled when they started doing the deer hunts there and there have been groups who have lobbied actively to get them stopped since. Its may be matter of who's voice is louder, there is no reason they can't do a few lottery deer hunts on lavon like they do at hagerman, that would not adversley affect the reasource to the point all the deer are going to be wiped out @ lavon.

mdmorrow 08-08-2014 11:21 AM

We own hagerman border property. The lottery never bothers us. Without that lottery we'd have more poachers I bet.

HR3 08-08-2014 06:01 PM

It is what it is......and as with anything it takes time....took the longest for the county to get a deer season......I see draw hunts....priced at $130 a hunter or whatever the going rate maybe.....lol

Razorback01 08-08-2014 08:02 PM

Golden, contact him again and ask him who he works for, should be in downtown Fort Worth. Get your ducks (or deer) lined up and go talk with them. They all answer to someone higher. It's public land, pressure is our friend. If there is a huntable population, it should be huntable, if it's a refuge it should be classified as such.

I work in downtown cowtown, let me know if I can be of assistance.

aerangis 08-15-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATI (Post 8898244)
He told me the same thing about Duck hunting.

I went to him and told him all the designated "Duck Hunting" areas on Lavon are either dry or inaccessible by boat or on foot and asked him if it was possible to hunt an area (far from any homes or ramps) near by there that had water and ducks... he said "No, stick to the designated duck hunting areas because the rest are all considered as bird sanctuary" so basically, forget about hunting ducks on Lavon...

The water conservation board has ruined Lake Lavon. I live near the lake, and the duck hunting has sucked for the last 6-8 years. The areas zoned for duck hunting has ZERO water. Been that way for years.

JustinJ 08-15-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorback01 (Post 8904857)
Golden, contact him again and ask him who he works for, should be in downtown Fort Worth. Get your ducks (or deer) lined up and go talk with them. They all answer to someone higher. It's public land, pressure is our friend. If there is a huntable population, it should be huntable, if it's a refuge it should be classified as such.

I work in downtown cowtown, let me know if I can be of assistance.

This! It's our land. If there is a sustainable population of deer (which I'm not 100% sure there is) they should, and eventually probably will, allow a hunt.

And the lack of water for ducks isn't really the fault of the COE officers, it's just been super low. There's only two boat ramps open on the whole lake so it's not like they're just doing it to tick duck hunters off. The rest of the lake (the part you can't hunt on) is too close to civilization to hunt on in my opinion.

Goldeneagle 08-16-2014 11:08 AM

Oh, I'm sure it is the workings of the surrounding land owners. I'd be willing to bet the COE guy has land that borders it too.

BassProJD 08-28-2014 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerangis (Post 8931897)
The water conservation board has ruined Lake Lavon. I live near the lake, and the duck hunting has sucked for the last 6-8 years. The areas zoned for duck hunting has ZERO water. Been that way for years.

I dunno where youre hunting but theres plenty of water and ducks..

JustinJ 08-28-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassProJD (Post 8982166)

LOL plenty of water? There's two boat ramps open on the whole lake, both of which are one the south end. How are you even getting to water (with cover) that holds ducks?

ATI 08-28-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinJanow (Post 8932301)
This! It's our land. If there is a sustainable population of deer (which I'm not 100% sure there is) they should, and eventually probably will, allow a hunt.

And the lack of water for ducks isn't really the fault of the COE officers, it's just been super low. There's only two boat ramps open on the whole lake so it's not like they're just doing it to tick duck hunters off. The rest of the lake (the part you can't hunt on) is too close to civilization to hunt on in my opinion.

I wouldn't suggest hunting an area if I knew it was too close to "civilization", houses, roads and etc...
I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I think you're right... Have you seen some of the "designated duck hunting areas" on Lavon in person? one can easily pepper houses from some of them, not to mention the sound of close-up shotgun blasts at dawn hours... The areas I suggested to the COE are several hundred yards away from any houses or roads otherwise I wouldn't have bothered suggesting them... ;)b

JustinJ 08-28-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATI (Post 8982403)
I wouldn't suggest hunting an area if I knew it was too close to "civilization", houses, roads and etc...
I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I think you're right... Have you seen some of the "designated duck hunting areas" on Lavon in person? one can easily pepper houses from some of them, not to mention the sound of close-up shotgun blasts at dawn hours... The areas I suggested to the COE are several hundred yards away from any houses or roads otherwise I wouldn't have bothered suggesting them... ;)b

Yeah I live 1/4 mile from the COE land that is huntable. I've seen it all up close and personal. And while there may be pockets of land big enough to hunt on the south end of the lake, the vast majority is more populated than the northern end which is why they don't allow hunting. Also the COE doesn't own nearly as much actual land on the south side of the lake, it's mostly (what should be at least) water.

I think we as hunters need to understand that hunting is far from the only use of lakes. We shouldn't expect all of it to be open to our needs only.

ATI 08-28-2014 11:45 AM

I wish I lived close to huntable COE land. I live about 6 minutes from Lavon and I also fish Lavon when there's enough water in it.
The areas I want to duck hunt, have not been fishable during the duck season in recent years, just pockets of shallow water perfect for duck hunting from a layout blind... ;)b

BassProJD 08-29-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinJanow (Post 8982170)
LOL plenty of water? There's two boat ramps open on the whole lake, both of which are one the south end. How are you even getting to water (with cover) that holds ducks?

well i guess u just gotta know what youre doing... ;) u gotta mountain bike?

HR3 08-29-2014 08:51 PM

Best duck hunting I've seen was when the lake was at its lowest point one year..:D.....for the walk in guys that is.....lol....I had to start by shells by the case....lol....

boatsandhoes54 09-04-2014 08:33 PM

is there any good hog hunting there

BassProJD 09-05-2014 06:31 PM

Nope

HR3 09-09-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HR3 (Post 8990376)
Best duck hunting I've seen was when the lake was at its lowest point one year..:D.....for the walk in guys that is.....lol....I had to start by shells by the case....lol....

I need to retract part of this statement...............I've never seen the the lake as low as it is now......barely any water on the north/west portion.....goodness.....saw very few ducks today......:mad:

JustinJ 09-09-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HR3 (Post 9033841)
I need to retract part of this statement...............I've never seen the the lake as low as it is now......barely any water on the north/west portion.....goodness.....saw very few ducks today......:mad:

LOL it is VERY low. Pretty sad actually.

bossbowman 09-10-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassProJD (Post 9020152)
Nope

Liar :D

ultralite09 09-10-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassProJD (Post 8982166)

Shhhh..... :D Come on Saturday!!!

Txtac 09-18-2014 02:37 AM

Lavon is always a fun hunt. Won't be hunting it till by son learns how to dodge steel shot.
It would be nice if they opened a lottery for deer there, archery only.

Goldeneagle 09-18-2014 08:20 AM

The swine on unit 2 must be getting worse. I noticed the other day Neil Sperry fenced his place off with hog wire.

Sparkles 09-18-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldeneagle (Post 9076267)
The swine on unit 2 must be getting worse. I noticed the other day Neil Sperry fenced his place off with hog wire.

He's been trapping them for a yr or two also

ultralite09 09-18-2014 09:19 AM

Lots of sign of hogs in that unit. Im hunting in one of the units around there and had a young spike walk out yesterday. Scared the poo outta him lol

bossbowman 09-18-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

The gardening guy on the radio owns property that borders lavon COE?, well that explains alot :rolleyes: ...

JustinJ 09-18-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Live near him. Noticed the same thing.

JustinJ 09-18-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossbowman (Post 9077342)
The gardening guy on the radio owns property that borders lavon COE?, well that explains alot :rolleyes: ...

It's close but doesn't border it at all. About 500 yards away with a road in between

Froggy 09-18-2014 12:10 PM

The best way to effect change on public lands is to write your Congressman.

Public land managers hate to get congressional inquiries. They have to respond and justify their decisions.

Goldeneagle 09-19-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossbowman (Post 9077342)

He's pretty cool. I stopped and talked to him one day. The hunting doesn't bother him. He's more into gardening than wildlife.;)b

bossbowman 06-20-2016 11:04 AM

I appears an archery deer draw @ lavon has been shot down again this year. I do wish they would publish their biological data showing the continued reasoning for this decision, collin county now has a deer season and most if not all of its deer live in and around the this lake and the drainages running into it. Again if they want to keep it as a refuge why not do a smaller hagerman like draw.

BassProJD 06-28-2016 12:51 AM

One day buddy.. one day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gumbl3 06-28-2016 07:12 AM

Just a thought, but there are at least a couple dozen deer killed on 380 every year by my best guess. If some one had the time to photograph all the carcasses and accident damage caused it may help build a case for a management program.

ttubudd 06-28-2016 09:23 AM

What are you guys talking about? I've been hunting deer on Lavon for years. Some big bucks out there!

:D

ATI 06-28-2016 09:32 AM

I'm beginning to think, the head honcho at the Lavon COE office is either a Hippie or a PETA member... He frowns on hunting and fishing....

Kirby86 08-08-2016 01:23 PM

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Zip.aspx

Find out who your representative is and mail them!

I've been doing the same with a piece of public land on the other side of the metroplex that doesn't allow spring turkey but has a season.

jfalcone8 08-21-2016 09:58 PM

So id be interested in someone answering this question because I'm just curious... Denton County has been huntable for sometime now... when did lake grapevine become a lottery hunt?

BassProJD 08-21-2016 10:03 PM

For sevvvveral years!

jfalcone8 08-21-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassProJD (Post 11605094)
For sevvvveral years!

I know that, but my point is how long did it take the lake to open up the lottery in comparison to how long the county had already been huntable..

BassProJD 08-21-2016 10:06 PM

Ohhhh my bad!

jfalcone8 08-21-2016 10:28 PM

Nah its all good.. It was confusing..

I would be interested to know also how the deer population grew on the vine as the surrounding areas became urbanized.

bossbowman 12-07-2016 04:19 PM

Call me crazy but I'm guessing the bordering landowners might not want a deer hunt out there EVER!

https://www.facebook.com/lonestarout...type=3&theater
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...74574907_o.jpg

JustinJ 12-07-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossbowman (Post 11989225)
Call me crazy but I'm guessing the bordering landowners might not want a deer hunt out there EVER!
https://www.facebook.com/lonestarout...type=3&theater

They don't border Lavon COE. But there are some monsters on that land.

Kirby86 12-07-2016 10:40 PM

Until enough hunters raise enough hell, contact their congressmen, and make the Corp of Engineer manager's life a pain in the butt, nothing is going to change.

CoE folks like to do as little as possible, and have as little headaches as possible.

I know this for a fact since I am friends with one of the local lake managers.

His recommendation was to continuously raise a fuss. Thats EXACTLY what homeowners do to get duck hunting shut down in coves near housing additions. If hunters did the same, they would probably react.

Pope & Yum 12-09-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby86 (Post 11990567)
Until enough hunters raise enough hell, contact their congressmen, and make the Corp of Engineer manager's life a pain in the butt, nothing is going to change.

CoE folks like to do as little as possible, and have as little headaches as possible.

I know this for a fact since I am friends with one of the local lake managers.

His recommendation was to continuously raise a fuss. Thats EXACTLY what homeowners do to get duck hunting shut down in coves near housing additions. If hunters did the same, they would probably react.

This subject has been ticking me off for some time now. I have seen pics of some absolute giants that have been taken around the corp land since archery opened up in Collin county. Haven't hunted hogs out there in a couple years, but would often bump a few whitetail when walking around out there. If the population supports it, it should be allowed. Would love to have the opportunity to hunt down the street! Time to start raising some hell.

jfalcone8 12-09-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinJ (Post 11989246)
They don't border Lavon COE. But there are some monsters on that land.

Yea they don't border Lavon but close enough to speculate the genetics are there.

JustinJ 12-09-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfalcone8 (Post 11996018)
Yea they don't border Lavon but close enough to speculate the genetics are there.

True. They've definitely got some big ones on the corps land