Another boat rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another boat rebuild

So lately I have had the boat itch in a bad kind of way. So bad that I'm having trouble sleeping at night. (Night before opening day effect) it all started when scotth89 put his boat up for sale. I've always liked the idea of owning a boat, and even had a few Junkers in the past, just never had a nice boat, or really even had the "itch". Well now I do. With a wedding around the corner, I just didn't see how I could buy one, but when you have an itch, you gotta scratch it.
    About 10 years ago my dad bought an old boat to rebuild, and life got in the way, well actually an airplane build got in the way. Anyhow the boat was tucked away in a shop and forgotten about. The airplane to keep y'all interested.

After almost getting a divorce before getting married, I quickly learned that we can't postpone the wedding another year for me to buy Scott's boat. Then I remembered the old ugly boat from 10 years ago, called dad and the convo went something like, " come get it, if you fix it up you can have it. As long as you call when the fish are biting, and I can borrow it if I want to go while you're working." (He's retired)
    Yesterday I got up and cleaned up one bay of my shop, and today I went and picked up the boat. 1984 alumaweld, 1984 evenrude 70hp with a side console. It has an aluminum deck in front and back, and wood floors and sides. The plan is to pull all of the carpet, wood, and side console. Extend the front deck, add a center console, and possibly a jack plate and float boxes, metal floor and sides. I will also strip the paint and repaint a drab green or something. Then hydroturf the inside. Maybe after the wedding I'll put a new motor on it. Anyhow this is how it looked when I picked it up.

I put my helpers to work and this is how it sits.

Tomorrow I will get the rest of the floor out, then hual the motor to my uncle's boat shop. While in town I'll get some paint stripper and hopefully get it stripped tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looking good--- keep the momentum going!

Comment

Pretty much doing the same stuff, when you strip the paint buy the aluminum aircraft stripper kind. If you have a power washer use it, if you don't, I recommend renting one. Saves a lot of time and back ache for me!

Comment

Good info eagle, thanks

Comment

Well I got the rest of the wood out this morning. Bought a new battery and a fresh tank of gas, and just for giggles I bumped the key on it. (This boat hasn't been touched in at least 8 years, prob more like 10) and this stupid thing fired off immediately. I mean purrs like a kitten. The only problem is I pulled the console and steering wheel out of it yesterday. Ohh well this forces me to finish the boat out like I wanted instead of putting it in the water and playing.

Comment

The tags on the boat expired in Jun 2003, that's 13 years

Comment

Good job

Comment

My dad used to race boats in the late 1970s and early 1980s. His class raced those 3 cylinder Johnson and Evinrude 75 HP engines. I never saw one blow up, and they ran forever, while tacking about 6500 RPM. They would run close to 80 MPH on tunnel boats and almost 70 MPH on a 13' V-bottom. That's a great engine.

Comment

I know they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but....

I would go ahead and give the motor at least a basic tune up and replace all the fuel lines with ethanol safe lines to prevent any future issues.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    I know they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but....

I would go ahead and give the motor at least a basic tune up and replace all the fuel lines with ethanol safe lines to prevent any future issues.
                    I called dad after posting that last night, and he said right before he put it up the motor was completely gone thru, and ran out of gas. (No wonder it started). So the motor was sitting dry with all now lines, hoses, plugs, carb kits. Basically a new motor. So then of course I had to ask why there was a running boat in the shop for 13 years and I've been chasing fish from every bank/ditch I can find that might hold a fish. He had some smart allec answer like I said the boat was too ugly or something. I guess I was too proud at 18 yrs old. It is ugly as homemade soap, but it's a running boat. Sometimes ID like to go back and slap 18 yr old me.

Comment

Looking forward to the end result

And I'd love to build a Kitfox one day myself

Comment

Subscribed...good luck with the build.

Comment

Its gonna need n impeller for sure. They go bad just sitting for a while .

Comment

If They ran the gas out of the lines and it was properly stored, you should be fine for now. I would replacing the water impeller right away though, that's something you don't want to be dry rotted!

Comment

Originally posted by poisonivie View Post
                              Its gonna need n impeller for sure. They go bad just sitting for a while .
                              Bahaha I didn't even see this.

Comment

Working...
                              X