Never Been Public Land Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never Been Public Land Hunting

Hey guys I've never been hunting on public land. Was wondering how it worked and since i live in South Texas where would be a good place to go for my first Public hunt besides the Aransas Wildlife Refuge considering it is only for set dates and all the permits are probably bought.

If I want to hunt DCNF or SHNF does that require a lot of scouting or would going in blind for a weekend trip good?

Being from South Texas I've never hunted out of a tree stand is that all that is used for hunting up east?

Originally posted by soutexbowhunter View Post
    Hey guys I've never been hunting on public land. Was wondering how it worked and since i live in South Texas where would be a good place to go for my first Public hunt besides the Aransas Wildlife Refuge considering it is only for set dates and all the permits are probably bought.

If I want to hunt DCNF or SHNF does that require a lot of scouting or would going in blind for a weekend trip good?

Being from South Texas I've never hunted out of a tree stand is that all that is used for hunting up east?
    You can hunt out on the ground but vision is limited a ton. A climber is your best friend when hunting the piney woods. Not saying you can't use a ground approach but getting up helps. Far as scouting, I scout dcnf a few times in the off season but as soon as I don't see any action I'm looking for a freshly used trail, I set up there and then adjust to what I see. Stay mobile. Hardest part is deciding where to hunt. Most everywhere has deer, just which spot is going to be the one. Be safe, wear orange, and enjoy the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
      You can hunt out on the ground but vision is limited a ton. A climber is your best friend when hunting the piney woods. Not saying you can't use a ground approach but getting up helps. Far as scouting, I scout dcnf a few times in the off season but as soon as I don't see any action I'm looking for a freshly used trail, I set up there and then adjust to what I see. Stay mobile. Hardest part is deciding where to hunt. Most everywhere has deer, just which spot is going to be the one. Be safe, wear orange, and enjoy the woods.
      Thanks for the Tips! Good luck to you in the up coming season!

Comment

I don't understand what do people get from hunting down innocent animals

Comment

Originally posted by EricMolina View Post
          Why are you even on this site?

Comment

Because they taste good. With garlic and butter.

Comment

I get a bunch of meat that brings me happiness

Comment

Intruder alert, intruder alert!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=EricMolina;10462861]I don't understand what do people get from hunting down innocent animals[/
                  I dunno, maybe the organic meat.
                  Protecting vegetarians food sources?

Comment

Its called grocery shopping the old fashion way. Eating processed food is bad for you.

Comment

I think you might be lost. Someone return the troll to their PETA forum. This is the place for people eating tasty animals.

Comment

Originally posted by soutexbowhunter View Post

TPWD has an interactive map with all the WMAs. You might want to see if there is anything closer.

I think you'll find Lake Somerville closer then SHNF. Haven't figured out what DCNF is.

Lake Somerville WMA 2
                        FM1697
                        Ledbetter, TX 78946

Open in IE

Last edited by hopedale; 09-07-2015, 09:07 AM. Reason: For got tpwd link

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                          TPWD has an interactive map with all the WMAs. You might want to see if there is anything closer.

I think you'll find Lake Somerville closer then SHNF. Haven't figured out what DCNF is.

Lake Somerville WMA 2
                          FM1697
                          Ledbetter, TX 78946

Open in IE

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/
                          Thanks for the link. DCNF is Davy Crockett National Forest

Comment

They ain't innocent ! I see them hawgs eatin' my corn all the dang time ! And don't get me started on the 'coons !

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                              Intruder alert, intruder alert!!!
                              I almost spit out my drink!! Lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X