Double Down attraction capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've read any of my posts, (especially the protein ingredient/TDN mega-post) you know that I have a decent understanding and common-sense approach to protein supplementing the deer at my spots.

I have been totally happy with Lyssey & Eckel 20% and my deer seem to do well on it. I do have a few large bucks that only eat from the protein feeder on rare occasions. I have put cameras up around the feed pen and see that they are there, but mainly just eat corn spread from the cast feeder. 3 of these are my larger bucks, and I bet I don't have a dozen pictures of each actually eating protein.

One of a few things could be happening.

1.) They were obviously older when the protein feeders were placed and they are skiddish of them to a certain extent...which if true, is weird that that ever eat from the feeder at all.

2.) They are happy with corn or pick corn over protein and just have their way with that and forget the protein.

or

3.) The taste/choice of protein isn't enough to get them "addicted" to the pellets so there is no driving force/desire to eat the protein.

I do believe that Double Down is an excellent feed, based on the TDN%. I believe that DD's marketing strategy was brilliant, but on a level of nutrition, I feel it is on the same level of Lyssey & Eckel.
    I've probably read 95% of the DD posts on the Green Screen, and the one common denominator is that folks say that consumption levels increase and more deer start eating it. I'm guessing this is from the use of peanuts in the feed which to me adds an "attractant" aspect to the feed.

I'm debating whether to mix my next feeder fill with 50-50 DD/L&E to try and get the larger skiddish bucks to begin eating the protein more consistently.

I have already mixed it with corn as well as soybeans, and although I have a LOT of deer eating it, the few big boys are still stand-off'ish.

Your thoughts....???

Following

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
      Following

Guess no need, cuz no one responding! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts.

I wonder if you filled a feeder with just DD if your big boys would show up more othen? Would be interesting to say the least.

Comment

Ring the bell for the DD haters!!

My experience has been that the attractiveness/addictive qualities of DD have been seen/proven for me on a ranch wide scale over the last 3 years. There is no disputing that deer eat more DD than other brands.

DD has a “secret” ingredient to attract deer that isn’t peanuts [emoji6]

Comment

You won’t find me on any DD advertising. I am only a customer.

I’ve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters who hate DD just because of the marketing style, not because they’ve tried it. Look beyond the marketing at the ingredients, consistency, TDN, and consumption/attractiveness and you will see it’s an above average feed. If I didn’t believe, I wouldn’t have bought 450 tons of DD.

Comment

Where can you buy it in Houston area?

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                Where can you buy it in Houston area?

Double Down® Deer Feed continues to change the way hunters think about supplemental feeding and nutrition. We provide deer feed, minerals, & attractants formulated from our knowledge & passion we have for growing healthy, giant whitetail deer. We are a Texas based company, proudly made in the USA.

I googled that
                Last edited by Peyton; 04-03-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts.

I wonder if you filled a feeder with just DD if your big boys would show up more othen? Would be interesting to say the least.

I’ve never filled a feeder “pure” with 100% of one feed. Even with the L&E, I’ve always mixed it with either roasted soybeans or Golden Nuggets. I feel multiple protein sources is more beneficial than just one. Of course, my every 70 day feeder fill is middle of May, so I won’t exactly know who’s who until a few months (antler growth) passes, but I would hope that a 50-50 mix would give me the best of both worlds. Not to say that I wouldn’t go 100% DD, but if my numbers increase as antlers begin to grow, I’d be tempted to keep the mix as-is.
                  Think I’m gonna give the 50-50 mix a try and see what the camera show when the July feeder-fill comes around. Those pics should tell the tale and set in concrete what I do the next fill and there-after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post

Ha, fair enough. I googled right after posting. Looks like livingston area, Rosenberg area and West on I 10 way past Katy are the closest locations. Browsed the website a bit. Anyone here have real comparative experience using this stuff vs Antler Max 20? What is the price running on this if not buying in bulk? 15 dollars a bag???

Comment

have never mixed two feeds. I just know that double down will attract deer and keep them on it like no other feed we have used.

Comment

Would it be possible for you to invest in a couple cheaper 55 gallon free choice set ups that you could fill with DD and monitor by camera while continuing to feed your L&E in your established feeders?
                        This might give you an ideal if your better bucks would be attracted to DD before you made a switch from a feed you have confidence in? Keep us posted in the results.

Rwc
                        Last edited by Rwc; 04-04-2018, 07:11 AM. Reason: No reason in getting the DD haters stirred up.

Comment

Just a thought...are your larger bucks older type deer that while still large, have lost their place in the pecking order and stay on the perimeter while letting the dominant animals monopolize the feed station?

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                            Would it be possible for you to invest in a couple cheaper 55 gallon free choice set ups that you could fill with DD and monitor by camera while continuing to feed your L&E in your established feeders?
                            This might give you an ideal if your better bucks would be attracted to DD before you made a switch from a feed you have confidence in? Keep us posted in the results.

Rwc
                            That would be the perfect test, but not one I am able to do at this place currently.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                              Just a thought...are your larger bucks older type deer that while still large, have lost their place in the pecking order and stay on the perimeter while letting the dominant animals monopolize the feed station?
                              I don't think they are at that point age wise, but good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X