Chile Pequin recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chile Pequin recipes?

I'm looking for some recipes w/ chile pequin peppers. I'm really wanting to make some hot sauce w/ these. My buddy has a HUGE bush of these little jokers and I'm just looking for some different ways to use them.

I've heard of putting them in the oven one a cookie sheet to dry then, then mashing them up to make like red pepper flakes. Other than that, I've never heard of anybody making anything with them outside of just outright eating them like my grandfather. If the Mockingbirds don't clear out his bushes he has a pile of them next to his plate at every meal. When he came to visit us he even brought his own in a ziploc baggie!

Comment

My FIL grinds them up in some of his sausage, but be careful too many and you can't hardly eat it. He also has a recipe for hotsauce, I'll try to get it and post it.

Comment

The only thing I have done is dry them out to crush. They are just to **** hot for anything else!!!!!!!!

Comment

I place them in a bottle/jar add white vinegar and make a clear hot sauce, you want it hot...drop one of the babies on your plate and eat it. I use it on Sausage, and Greens, Spinach...Great stuff!

Comment

I'll agree with the vinegar sauce.

Take a handful of chile's and put them in a oil/vinegar bottle and fill it up with 50 grain vinegar

Comment

I second the vinegar sauce. I have several plants at my parents house and we just take glass bottles and fill them with the peppers then pour vinegar to cover them. You can crush some of the peppers to infuse the flavor more quickly if you want. When the vinegar gets lower than the peppers just add some more. You can put the juice on food like tabasco and eat the peppers like jalapinos

Comment

Here is the way my mother used to make a hot sauce as best I can recall.

Piquins to tase (as many as you want)

Tomato (boiled I think)

Garilc (cloves: again to taste)

Qumin (SP)

Salt

Get yourself a Molcajete (Mexican blender) put all ingredance in and mash up good. I think mom boiled her tomatos before mixing it in. You could also try roasting them. This stuff will put hair on your chest. I have heard that the heat form a piquin disapates perty quick. The last time I ate one I did notice that the sting wore off rather fast. Note: you could use a blender but make sure the piquins get chopped up. Those things are tiny. You might want to crush them before you use a blender. Also this is all to taste. Qumin can be strong as well so remember that its always easier to add stuff than it is to take away.

Comment

SneakyPhil is right just add minced onion to the mix.

and put it on anything.

Comment

Heck, and I was just eating them straight with my grilled ham steaks!
                    These things are awesome, and yes, the heat dissipates rather quickly.
                    I even got my wife hooked!

Todd

Comment

Grind 'em up in your buddy's can of Copenhagen!

I did this to a co-worker and ended up on the receiving end of the joke when I went to the bathroom and forgot to wash my hands after the "joke"....

Comment

we usually just put them in whatever we want to make hotter, sometimes hot sauce. Different heat than jalapenos and serranos but very good

Comment

i put them in a bottle and then fill @ 3/4 with white viniger then boil it in the microwave when it cools add some xtra vergin olive oil to it shake well make sure there is a shaker top for the bottle if you use your finger to regulate the flow and dont wash it the results could be warming later

Ron

Comment

Saute some in a skilled with cold pressed virgin olive oil. After they plump up take an old hot sauce jar with the removable stopper and load in all the way to the top. Fill the jar up with apple cider vinager, cork it in the fridge & forget it for about a week. Couple of drops on that steak makes a difference. Or put it in a big mouth mason jar that you can dip peppers and juice out of. If you dry some you can take the old coffee grinder and make a fine or course shaker pepper out of em also. An older Hispanic lady told me bout the grinder. She did add unless you like spicy hot coffee don't forget to wash it good!

Comment

Salsa Tomate del Valle {Tomato sauce from the " Valley"}

8-1/2 lb tomatos
                              4-1/2 lb chopped onions
                              1 tbs black pepper
                              10 buttons fresh chopped garlic
                              2-1/2 heaping tbs chile pequins
                              3 cup white vinegar
                              1/2 cup iodized salt
                              1 cup sugar
                              Cook all till onions are transparent,thicken as needed with flour and water paste.
                              Bottle as you can or bottle any thing .Sealed Jars last 12-18 months

This recipe make aprox 13 pints.I've quit using pint the cause we eat it so much...qts are the way to go...we make this 2-3 times a year... Our family has been making this from this recipe for almost 50 years...

Comment

Working...
                              X