X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steps to the perfect food plot

I'm in Central Texas.

Am I doing this right?
    Is there any step I'm missing? Any step not necessary?

step 1: Sept 1 - Mow down the plot with shredder
    step 2: Sept 1 - spray the field with Roundup/Water mix (2oz to 1 gallon)
    step 3: Sept 15 - disk plow field w/ harrow drag behind disk
    step 4: Sept 15 - spread fertilizer on field
    step 5: Sept 15 - disk/drag fields again
    step 6: Sept 15 - spread seed mix (wheat, oats, winter peas)
    step 7: Sept 15 - pull cultipacker over field two times to ensure clods are busted and smoothed over, also to remove any air pockets to help soil retain moisture
    step 8: Sept 15 - spread clover mix on top of soil
    step 9: Sept 15 - rain dance

My recommendation after much research is first get a soil test. Then, depending on the results, lime.

1. Don't waste time mowing. 9/1
    2. Disc 9/1
    3. Lime if called for 9/1
    4. Spread seed 9/15 or as long as you can wait.
    5. Spread fertilizer 9/15
    6. Drag 9/15
    Pray for rain.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
      I'm in Central Texas.

Am I doing this right?
      Is there any step I'm missing? Any step not necessary?

step 1: Sept 1 - Mow down the plot with shredder
      step 2: Sept 1 - spray the field with Roundup/Water mix (2oz to 1 gallon)
      step 3: Sept 15 - disk plow field w/ harrow drag behind disk
      step 4: Sept 15 - spread fertilizer on field
      step 5: Sept 15 - disk/drag fields again
      step 6: Sept 15 - spread seed mix (wheat, oats, winter peas)
      step 7: Sept 15 - pull cultipacker over field two times to ensure clods are busted and smoothed over, also to remove any air pockets to help soil retain moisture
      step 8: Sept 15 - spread clover mix on top of soil
      step 9: Sept 15 - rain dance
      looks good to me.

Comment

Yes, you missed the soil test. That's the first step. If you need lime, put it in the lineup but be aware that it won't change your ph overnite. That will happen gradually over the next few months. As to whether you need the mowing step, well I can't see it. You might if it's pretty thick, but only you can judge that. If you do mow, wait a few days to spray gly. Eliminate discing between spreading fertilizer and seed, the seed and fertilizer can be put out at the same time, then run your drag. Cultipack, put out your clover, then cultipack again. Good luck on that rain dance.

Comment

Too early for Leon co.
          But all the other plans seem right on.

BP

Comment

I would not mow, spray and disk. Doing way too much work.

If mowing and spraying then DO NOT Disk. BUild up the thatch layer and just shred the dead stuff after you plant.

Disking will bring many unwanted weeds in the spring

Comment

Where at in central Texas? We are in Menard county. We’ve planted in mid September the last two years and found that we planted too early. We would get a good rain right away and then get 90+ degree heat for weeks which fried everything. We are planting in mid October this year.

Normally, there’s no need for lime in central /west texas due to high pH levels.

Comment

Army Worms are a danger to planting too early also.
                I like the thatch method also for my plots now.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                  Army Worms are a danger to planting too early also.
                  I like the thatch method also for my plots now.
                  Y'all must not have many hogs. These ETexas hogs eat anyghing laid on top except little seeds like clover. They've even started eating my beans and peas after they're covered.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                    Where at in central Texas? We are in Menard county. We’ve planted in mid September the last two years and found that we planted too early. We would get a good rain right away and then get 90+ degree heat for weeks which fried everything. We are planting in mid October this year.

Normally, there’s no need for lime in central /west texas due to high pH levels.

Yea we are in Bosque County and never need lime due to the high PH.
                    You know I think we'll wait until mid October this year too.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      I would not mow, spray and disk. Doing way too much work.

If mowing and spraying then DO NOT Disk. BUild up the thatch layer and just shred the dead stuff after you plant.

Disking will bring many unwanted weeds in the spring

We don't have a no till drill. How do you get the seed to soil contact or under soil 1" and not just lay on top of the thatch?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                        We don't have a no till drill. How do you get the seed to soil contact or under soil 1" and not just lay on top of the thatch?
                        I think he's meaning you could spray and let it die. Then throw seed and shred the thatch over the seed.

This is exactly what I'll be doing this year.

Comment

I think his question, is "how do you get soil contact for the seed if just throwing it out" It appears you will have a lot of dead vegetation and some seed hitting the ground, but dont some seeds need to be planted an inch deep? So either with a drill or by discing? I am on here to learn as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                            I think his question, is "how do you get soil contact for the seed if just throwing it out" It appears you will have a lot of dead vegetation and some seed hitting the ground, but dont some seeds need to be planted an inch deep? So either with a drill or by discing? I am on here to learn as well.
                            The thatch will act in the same manner as burying the seed. Lots of guys do it. If you have lots of hungry hogs be ready to replant the conventional way. Been there !
                            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 08-18-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Step one: move to Iowa or Illinois.

Comment

Working...
                              X