Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get rid of stickers (north Texas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get rid of stickers (north Texas)

How in the heck do I get rid of these dang things? I live outside of north west Fort Worth. If I pick them It will probally take a while cause I have at least a solid half acre of them. Anybody have any ideas on how to kill em? I bag my grass when I mow to try and not spread them but they are still getting worse. My neighbors don't do anything to prevent them so I know that doesn't help but I'd like to at least have less of them. So what do y'all say some of y'all are geniuses when it comes to this kinda stuff! Any and all advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurts my skin just looking at that.. Good luck to you!

Maybe set it ablaze?

Comment

You can kill it all with "round up" or equivalent. But all those stickers are in the soil and will just grow new ones. Best to spray a pre emergent

I believe it's called "prowler" but its been awhile

County agent call hep

Comment

Looks like sandburs are all you have. I would suggest MSMA if you had any bermuda, but you looks like you might as well roundup the whole yard!

Comment

You can try MSMA. Its pretty pricey but a little goes a long way.

Comment

They also don't like fertilizer very much, but you need a replacement grass, like bermuda.

Comment

Originally posted by rugger View Post
              You can try MSMA. Its pretty pricey but a little goes a long way.
              This

2.5 gallons for $75

Comment

there is a product called image. it has field sandbur listed on the label. you will also want to put down a pre-emergent that has it listed as well. don't waste you time on msma, unless you own a golf course and have an applicators license you won't be able to get it and even those guys may not be able to get it any more. I have had good luck with image.

Edit: upon further research it appears you can purchase msma. I am going to have a little discussion with my supplier about this. I love this product but was under the assumption it was banned by the epa and only available to golf courses.
                Last edited by PapaBear; 07-17-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Msma will kill them but not stop regrowth

Comment

If possible burn the area, then start using heavy applications of preemergent. .If there are stickers on adjoining land then nothing will work because they keep being spread by animals.

Comment

I bought some pre emergent with fertilizer at our feed store. Treated my yard in march then again 60 days later then one more time in October. Took couple years but my stickers are gone. I still treat twice in the spring. That would be a future plan of attack to keep them away. Not sure what to do currently. They are a PITA

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                        there is a product called image. it has field sandbur listed on the label. you will also want to put down a pre-emergent that has it listed as well. don't waste you time on msma, unless you own a golf course and have an applicators license you won't be able to get it and even those guys may not be able to get it any more. I have had good luck with image.
                        Image is what I was thinking of not prowler

Comment

What did you guys have success with pre-emergent wise and the schedule for application?

Comment

Penicillin usually works but might need something stronger if................... oh wait should of read the rest of the title.

Comment

MSMA early and often.

Comment

Working...
                              X