Carne Guisada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carne Guisada

My Uncle who drives all over the Americas posted this on our family website. Please feel free to post your version as well... thanks!

Carne Guisada

Description:

Carne guisada is one of my all-time favorite foods. As we travelled Mexico, we found it ready-to-eat in grocery stores and ordered it in restaurants. We even ordered some in a Ozona, TX truck-stop cafe and it was great! I was never disappointed. The following recipe comes from From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern Food.

Ingredients:

1 pound stew beef
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    10 1/2 ounces condensed beef broth, undiluted
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 or 2 small jalapeno or serrano chile peppers, chopped
    1/2 cup water
    2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in a small amount of cold water

Directions:

Brown meat in oil on all sides. Pour off excess grease. Add tomato paste [optional], beef broth, salt and pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chile peppers, and water. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours, or until meat is very tender.

Turn to high and dissolve about 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in small amount of cold water and slowly pour into stew, which is simmering, until proper thickness of gravy is obtained. Serve with rice and warm tortillas, if desired.

Number Of Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 8 to 12 hours

Sounds Great!!!

I love the guiso de puerco con salsa verde. The pork gives it a different twist and green sauce really finishes the dish. You gotta eat it with corn tortillas.

The best I have ever had is right in East Dallas at the corner of Samuel Blvd. and East Grand at the La Acapulquena. The Acapulquena is a quaint, authentic Mexican resturant that specializes in mariscos (seafood) and dishes that are native to the state of Guerrero and the costal region around Acapulco. They have a quite extensive menu (it looks like a book ) and or course its run by a girl (lady) from Acapulco. Try it for some authentic mariscos and great guiso de puerco.

Comment

The only change I would make is cooking it up the night before and then putting it in a crock put the next morning and let it cook in the crock put all day. When you get home at night you have fresh, hot, Carne Guisada. You can use other cuts of meet as well, beef tips, brisket, or even left over steak.

Comment

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm...... I love carne guisada!

Thanks for the recipe.... I'll try this one next time.

Comment

can u take this exact recipe and use pork?

Comment

Pork, Nilgai whatever you want to cook

Comment

Going to try it with pork(its on sale) tomorrow,Thanks

Comment

Javelina Russ: by the way, i did get my nilgai cow last month.. fun hunt and yummy food.. thanks

Comment

I made this last night with course ground wild hog and it was great. I had to kick the spices up a notch though.

Comment

I made it this weekend and we loved it!!! Very good stuff!!!

Comment

Man I hate looking at recipes when I'm hungry.

Comment

I made a batch this morning based on this recipe. I played with the spices a bit and added about a cup of diced Yukon Gold potatoes and a cup of chopped onions about 45 minutes before serving and a cup of garden fresh chopped tomatoes about 20 minutes before serving. It was awesome! Mine was ready for the plate in about 3 1/2 hours.

Comment

Made some tonight, I added a can of rotel and a little bit of onion. Upped the spices and put in more corn starch to thicken it up a bit more. AWESOME!!!!!!

Comment

I am gonna try this one out next time I am at home............Love me some carne guisada

Comment

Directions...I have trouble following directions but with this one....I think I see the light!

Comment

Working...
                              X