Calling the offshore guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling the offshore guys

Wanting to do a run to rigs in the near future.

For those that fish offshore, where is a good place to put in on the Texas coast that is closest to near by rigs/platforms?

Looking for a good place and can get my bait and put in that will be the shortest route out.

Matagorda?
    Freeport?
    Sargent?
    POC?

Thank you in advance

Oh.... wrong offshore, got my hopes up.

Comment

We use Freeport

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
        We use Freeport
        Was just looking at freeport on google maps.

About how far to the nearest rig?

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post

Not too far at all. There is a small one and a bigger one maybe 2-5 miles offshore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
            Not too far at all. There is a small one and a bigger one maybe 2-5 miles offshore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            That is perfect.

Whats the name of the place you launch?

Comment

Most trailered boats put in at Bridge Bait and Tackle to head out of the Freeport Jetties. You can see the closest rigs right out of the gate. Just be aware that the place is packed on good days/weekends, and so are those close in rigs. If you have the boat I would plan on avoiding the frustration of the closer rigs as you head to the blue water. Also be aware; If you have a smaller boat and the wind is not ideal the end of the Freeport Jetties will have a fairly large swell to a dangerous swell/chop. Going out I have seen guys in small aluminum boats, I always wonder how long that luck will hold out!

Comment

We fish south padre and on a flat day can be at the rigs in 5 minutes with our flats boat. 15 miles from the jetties to the rigs. I know corpus is a lot closer since the Kayak guys go to the rigs out there but I’ve never been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                  Most trailered boats put in at Bridge Bait and Tackle to head out of the Freeport Jetties. You can see the closest rigs right out of the gate. Just be aware that the place is packed on good days/weekends, and so are those close in rigs. If you have the boat I would plan on avoiding the frustration of the closer rigs as you head to the blue water. Also be aware; If you have a smaller boat and the wind is not ideal the end of the Freeport Jetties will have a fairly large swell to a dangerous swell/chop. Going out I have seen guys in small aluminum boats, I always wonder how long that luck will hold out!
                  Thank you very much for the info. Previous owner to my boat said 4-5ft seas are no problem so hoping I should be ok.

Yeah I might try to run out little further from the crowd. I will have 64gals of fuel with a 150HP motor so I should be able to run out a bit.

Comment

Where are you driving from. In my opinion it is hard to beat Port Mansfield. You can catch solid state snaps there if you want to fish deep water fish the shelf is close. Close rigs out of Freeport right now are just bulls reds and sharks.

Comment

I like to launch out of either TXCity or Freeport. Freeport gets to deeper water faster, but since the slowdown in O&G there have been a good number of rigs taken down. Still some good rigs to run to though. Take a look at TPWD artificial reef locations as well. Buoys also hold fish, so don't be afraid to try those out.

what boat? 4-6 seas can mean a whole lot different in a 18 boat vs a 23 ft boat. From the 150, I'm guessing toward the 18-20 ft range. You may need to be very picky on when you go. Even 2 ft can be disastrous if the wave period is short. 4 foot can be nice and easy in a long wave period. Remember, the weathermen are usually drunk, double whatever height they call for.
                      Last edited by Chuy; 10-12-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I was going to tell you a boat with a single 150 is a small boat- 4s-5s is out. Even in larger center console boats 5s in Texas are brutal and I talking about 31 footers with twin 250s. Did we float and make it yes. It was a tournament or none of us would have even cleared the rocks. You need to go on a high pressure with 1s-2s and judge 3s. You probably don't have radar so I would not go on any questionable weather forecast.

Comment

I would be very careful with a single 150. All it takes is loosing the motor in some 3-4s to cause problems quick.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info. Previous owner to my boat said 4-5ft seas are no problem so hoping I should be ok.

Yeah I might try to run out little further from the crowd. I will have 64gals of fuel with a 150HP motor so I should be able to run out a bit.
                            I'd be careful with just taking the previous owners words on that you're totally good in 4-5ft seas. Ran a 33T Contender for years, and 4-5's makes for a not so fun trip most of the time, I don't care what boat you are in. Going off of a 150, and 64 gallons of fuel, Im guessing you are in 21-25ft range. i'd stick to the 2' or Less Forecast days until you feel very comfortable. Just my opinion however.

Freeport is a good option for launching, as you have nice Jetties to come back through, and most of the ramps are relatively close to the Jetties(rather than say Matagorda which you have to run down the river a bit). Rigs are becoming few and far between but both have options.

Comment

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
                              I'd be careful with just taking the previous owners words on that you're totally good in 4-5ft seas. Ran a 33T Contender for years, and 4-5's makes for a not so fun trip most of the time, I don't care what boat you are in. Going off of a 150, and 64 gallons of fuel, Im guessing you are in 21-25ft range. i'd stick to the 2' or Less Forecast days until you feel very comfortable. Just my opinion however.

Freeport is a good option for launching, as you have nice Jetties to come back through, and most of the ramps are relatively close to the Jetties(rather than say Matagorda which you have to run down the river a bit). Rigs are becoming few and far between but both have options.
                              Oh for sure, I am not trusting 4-5 footers. He said it COULD but was not fun. Stick to calm seas or less than 2' no doubt.

I have a 22' Laguna

Comment

Working...
                              X